As you probably already know we do a twice-weekly rundown of our favorite to-dos and happenings around Los Angeles (pushed out Monday AM and Thursday AM).
However, it occurs to us that sometimes event-seekers just want stuff that’s down-and-dirty, cheap-and-easy. With that in mind, here are 10 quick, fun ideas for this weekend each costing less than $10 that might be good to keep on your radar. For all prices listed we’ll generally note the true cost including any service fees, as sometimes is the case with our ticket-affiliate partner Goldstar.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
10 for $10 or Less
1. [$7.50] Celebrate summer while watching movies that rock (i.e. feature great music) during Outdoor Movies at the Skirball. This week they will screen That Thing You Do! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. FRIDAY (via Goldstar)
2. [FREE] The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights, curated by Peanut Butter Wolf at Grand Park. FRIDAY
3. [FREE] The Port of Los Angeles presents the 9th Annual Cars & Stripes Forever an all ages pre-Independence Day celebration featuring over 100 classic cars, live bands, food trucks, a beer garden, and a fireworks grand finale. FRIDAY
4. [FREE] Cinema Under The Stars returns to Westwood Village with a free screening of The LEGO Batman Movie. Lawn chairs and blankets are welcome. There will also be prizes, giveaways, and free snacks! FRIDAY
5. [FREE] Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. Measure for Measure will be performed Friday through Sunday. FRIDAY-SUNDAY
6. [FREE] Hauser & Wirth presents two opening shows this Saturday, renowned American artist Paul McCarthy’s comprehensive collection of black walnut sculptures from McCarthy’s White Snow series will make it’s L.A. debut and Takesada Matsutani’s first L.A. solo exhibition of paintings, drawings and sculpture will host an opening reception from 6 to 9 p.m. SATURDAY
7. [FREE] Summer of Music at Redondo Pier will host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Cumbia musician Mayaztek will perform. SATURDAY
8. [FREE] KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Saturday they’ll take over Chinatown with KCRW DJs Jason Bentley and Aaron Byrd. SATURDAY
9. [FREE] Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series kicks off with Jurassic Park (1993) at One Colorado, 41 Hugus Alley at 8:30 p.m. SATURDAY
10. [FREE] The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this Saturday with Chico and a fireworks show Sunday will feature Jessica Fichot. SATURDAY-SUNDAY
5 MORE Options…
Here are 5 other things to do this weekend that may not be under $10 but still are worth knowing about:
- The Anime Expo will take over the Los Angeles Convention Center from July 1 through 4. The expo features panels, Q&A’s, workshops, video rooms and autograph areas. Notable guest include Manga artist/illustrator duo, Akira Himekawa, the creators of ALICE IN DISSONANCE, YouTube personality AmaLee and Tokyo DJ banvox. FRIDAY-TUESDAY
- Celebrate the rich musical tradition of Mexican folk music during the 28th Annual Mariachi USA Festival at the Hollywood Bowl. The largest mariachi event in the United States, this spectacular evening will feature music from top Mariachi bands along with dance from Ballet Mi Tierra and stunning fireworks. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. SATURDAY (via Goldstar)
- SoCal Corgi Beach Day in Long Beach. SATURDAY
- Red, White and BBQ, a Time Out L.A. barbecue bash featuring some of Los Angeles’ best cook-out grub. SATURDAY
- The Culver City Centennial Westside Food & Wine Festival returns to the Courtyard by Marriott Los Angeles Westside in Culver City. SUNDAY
Make sure to sign-up for our email list so you’re always in the loop regarding happenings around the city.