As you probably already know we do a twice-weekly rundown of our favorite to-dos and happenings around Los Angeles (pushed out Monday AM and Thursday AM).
However, it occurs to us that sometimes event-seekers just want stuff that’s down-and-dirty, cheap-and-easy. With that in mind, here are 10 quick, fun ideas for this weekend each costing less than $10 that might be good to keep on your radar. For all prices listed we’ll generally note the true cost including any service fees, as sometimes is the case with our ticket-affiliate partner Goldstar.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
10 for $10 or Less
1. [????] Sunday, July 16 is National Ice Cream Day! Why not celebrate by checking out one of the 15 Best Spots for Ice Cream in L.A. (we bet you can make that happen for less than $10!!! SUNDAY
2. [FREE] Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum in Downtown Los Angeles for garden-inspired cocktails, music and botanical tours with the NHM garden staff. Guests are welcome to bring a picnic or purchase bites from food trucks, the event is free to attend. FREE
3. [FREE] The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights, curated by Monalisa at Grand Park. FRIDAY
4. [FREE] Explore vintage trains during Union Station’s Summer Train Fest which will feature beautifully restored train engines plus a kids zone, model trains, food trucks and live entertainment. FREE
5. [FREE] The DT Stage Concert Series at Pershing Square returns every Saturday with free weekly shows featuring popular bands all summer long. The series kicks of with a concert by The Wallflowers. SATURDAY
6. [FREE] Summer Movie Night brings Moana to the Lower L.A. River in South Gate. The event will feature informational booths, food trucks and family-fun activities. Bring a comfortable chair and blanket and take in the rare opportunity to view a movie inside the river channel. SATURDAY
7. [FREE] The 37th Annual Lotus Festival at Echo Park Lake. This two-day fest will include live entertainment, arts and crafts, a boat race, an asian food court, and plenty of opportunities to enjoy the blooming flowers and local wild life on the lake. SATURDAY-SUNDAY
8. [FREE] The Rooftop Cinema Series returns to Pasadena with free movie screenings featuring a DJ and family-friendly activities. This weekend see Fast & Furious 6 atop the Pasadena Towers. Come early to play ping-pong, corn hole, jenga, giant chess, Connect 4 and grab a bite from local food trucks and vendors. SATURDAY
9. [FREE] The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with Silk Road on Sunday. SUNDAY
10. [FREE] Ranger Ernie Ybarra has been leading free guided hikes of various Griffith Park trails for more than a decade. Sunday, July 16 will be Ernie’s final hike before retirement, a moderate 6-mile jaunt to Bill Eckert Trail. SUNDAY
5 MORE Options…
Here are 5 other things to do this weekend that may not be under $10 but still are worth knowing about:
- FIGat7th welcomes back Quiet Clubbing Party for another round of dancing and fun – but this time with a twist! Guests are invited to dress like their favorite animal this Friday and dance the night away. The event coincides with the Animal Soul exhibit by artist Jason Hackenwerth where larger-than-life animal balloon sculptures will be displayed throughout the event. FRIDAY
- The Port of Los Angeles Lobster Fest comes to the LA Waterfront in San Pedro from July 14-16 for the world’s largest lobster festival featuring Maine Lobsters. FRIDAY-SUNDAY
- Outfest, L.A.’s signature LGBT film festival, continues this weekend with screenings at venues across Los Angeles. The 11-day event runs through July 16. Check for discounted tickets on Goldstar for select screenings. FRIDAY-SUNDAY (via Goldstar)
- The Los Angeles Soul Music Festival returns with 18 soulful performers and groups taking place from July 14 to 16 at Exposition Park in Downtown Los Angeles. This year act include: Musiq Soulchild, Tony! Toni! Tone!, Tyrese, Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh, K. Michelle, Blackstreet and the list goes on. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. FRIDAY-SUNDAY (via Goldstar)
- Comedy Store Headliner Show with Dane Cook, Iliza Shlesinger, Marc Maron, Harland Williams and Guests. SATURDAY (via Goldstar)
Make sure to sign-up for our email list so you’re always in the loop regarding happenings around the city.