As you probably already know we do a twice-weekly rundown of our favorite to-dos and happenings around Los Angeles (pushed out Monday AM and Thursday AM).
However, it occurs to us that sometimes event-seekers just want stuff that’s down-and-dirty, cheap-and-easy. With that in mind, here are 10 quick, fun ideas for this weekend each costing less than $10 that might be good to keep on your radar. For all prices listed we’ll generally note the true cost including any service fees, as sometimes is the case with our ticket-affiliate partner Goldstar.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
10 for $10 or Less
1. [FREE] Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum in Downtown Los Angeles for garden-inspired cocktails, music and botanical tours with the NHM garden staff. Guests are welcome to bring a picnic or purchase bites from food trucks, the event is free to attend. FRIDAY
2. [FREE] Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is an all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Storks. FRIDAY
3. [FREE] KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Friday they’ll takeover Metro Arts Night at Union Station with KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez and Valida. FRIDAY
4. [FREE] Pershing Square continues their free summer series this Saturday with a concert by the B-52s. SATURDAY
5. [FREE] The inaugural BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena takes over the historic alleys of Old Pasadena for a one-day event showcasing professional and up-and-coming LA-area artists’ site-specific installations. SATURDAY
6. [FREE] Malibu Country Mart will host their annual Summer Block Party this weekend transforming the popular shopping destination into a colorful street fair with fun activities for all ages and complimentary treats like ice-cream sandwiches, shaved ice, fruit slushies, coffee floats offered on site. SATURDAY
7. [FREE] The LA Indie Improv Festival is two days of insanity with three stages, one party bus, 190+ improv teams, two panels, food and zero dollar admission. SATURDAY-SUNDAY
8. [FREE] The Rooftop Cinema Series returns to Pasadena with free movie screenings featuring a DJ and family-friendly activities. This weekend they will screen Top Gun on the roof of Corporate Center Pasadena. SATURDAY
9. [FREE] Swingin’ Summer 1940’s Night at The Wiltern. SUNDAY
10. [FREE] CicLAvia returns with a bike, run, walk and skate event in San Pedro and the Wilmington area this Sunday. Enjoy vibrant outdoor public spaces and explore the highlighted area without a car! SUNDAY
5 MORE Options…
Here are 5 other things to do this weekend that may not be under $10 but still are worth knowing about:
- Sundance NEXT FEST returns to the Theatre at Ace Hotel (August 10-13) with some of the best up and coming films alongside food, drinks, games and live music in DTLA. FRIDAY-SATURDAY
- There’s a Tribute to Daft Punk happening at The Regent in DTLA this Saturday with a full-scale pyramid stage and chromed helmet wearing DJ’s spinning all the hits from the French duos work. SATURDAY (via Goldstar)
- Thrillist Taco Knockout in Downtown Los Angeles taking place at Lot 613 in DTLA is the “ultimate taco party” featuring tacos from Mexikosher, Aqui Es Texcoco, Slapfish and more. Tickets cost $35 and gets you eight tacos, cervezas and more. SATURDAY
- CatCon 2017 at Pasadena Convention Center on August 12 and 13 is a feline-centric event set up like a “comic-con for cat lovers.” SATURDAY-SUNDAY
- BrunchCon at The Reef in Downtown Los Angeles (August 12-13) is brunching in a convention literally! For its second year the event will roll out a brand-new format that includes six open mimosa bars (along with other brunch cocktails) and one tasting from each vendor with over 50 vendors, you might leave in a food coma. Make sure to use promo code WELIKELA to save $5 on your ticket purchase! SATURDAY-SUNDAY
Make sure to sign-up for our email list so you’re always in the loop regarding happenings around the city.