Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Tuesday, January 2 to Friday, January 5, features Golden Globe Nominees Series, Geeks Who Drink, Free Yoga at Grand Park, Moth StorySLAM, Ai Weiwei at The Hammer, All Space Considered, First Fridays and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Tuesday January 2nd, 2018
1. Winter Fest continues at the OC Fairgrounds (Dec. 21 to Jan. 7) offering an all-new festival of lights, snow summit, winter bounce houses, outdoor ice skating, ice tubing, snowfall and the man of the season, Santa Claus. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. Discover the best in foreign-language cinema during the Golden Globe Nominees Series a week of special screenings from January 1–6 at the Egyptian and Aero Theatres. In addition there will be free panel discussion with the filmmakers, at the Egyptian Theatre on Saturday.
3. CHILL Adventure Park returns to the Queen Mary in Long Beach from December 13 through January 7. Come experience ice bumper cars, ice skating, an Alpine Zip Line and more chill themed activities. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar) Starting December 24, 2017 all Firefighters can show their badge at the ticketing booth for a free Grand Expedition pass, and up to 50% off Grand Expedition passes for their families as well.
4. Free admission at: Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.), Natural History Museum and Page Museum at La Brea Tarpits. FREE
Wednesday January 3rd, 2018
5. Every first and third Wednesday of the month, BEAR CITY brings free comedy and free pizza to Que Sera in Long Beach. FREE
6. Geeks Who Drink is a drinking quiz game at Bareburger in Santa Monica that covers everything from troubled celebrities, wordplay to bad television.
7. The Grand Chapiteau at Dodger Stadium will be home to Cirque du Soleil’s new big-top show LUZIA. Inspired by the rich culture Mexico, the dazzling acrobatic performance will be heightened by brassy Mexican and Latin American sounds. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Come to the Frogtown Brewery this Wednesday for Beer, Bingo, & Trivia Night.
9. The Museum of Failure has landed in Los Angeles at A+D Architecture and Design Museum in the Arts District. Exhibits include some of recent history’s biggest commercial flops, including Donald Trump’s board game, the Harley-Davidson Perfume, the Apple Newton, the Betamax, Google Glass, and more. Check for discount tickets while supplies. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Take an afternoon yoga class in beautiful Grand Park. The 45 minute workout is complimentary to the public every Wednesday and Friday. After yoga, checkout the many food trucks lining the park and grab lunch al fresco style.
11. One of L.A.’s most magical holiday traditions, LA Zoo Lights returns November 17 through January 7 with thousands upon thousands of LED lights glowing up the zoo. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. Happening this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Thursday January 4th, 2018
12. There’s a screening of Ai Weiwei’s Human Flow at the Hammer Museum followed by a Q& A with the art activist himself. Filmed in 23 countries the film follows the global refugee crisis over the course of a year. FREE
13. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. The Natural History Museum will host the Moth StorySLAM, an open-mic storytelling competition held around the world. Anyone can participate and the theme this round is inked, stories about making things permanent for example manifestos, contracts and tattoos.
15. It’s Sushi & Beer night at Absolution Brewing Company in Torrance. Sushi will be provided by Shiroyama Sushi Co and a selection of new released craft ales will be on hand to wash it all down.
16. Bring a little New Year’s soul into your life by checking out dublab’s weekly event All the Feels at Freehand Los Angeles. FREE
17. There’s a free mindful awareness meditation going on at the Hammer. Participants are welcome to stay for the entire 30-minute session or leave when they choose. FREE
18. The Rink in Downtown Burbank returns with a festive ice-skating event from December 14 through January 7. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday January 5th, 2018
20. Greenbar Distillery will host their popular cocktail class this Friday. The theme is “Fresh Produce,” guests will get to experiment with seasonal fruits, vegetables and herbs along with a variety of Greenbar organic liquors. Must be a member to sign up for classes, membership is free.
21. The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
22. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Get into the winter spirit when ICE at Santa Monica returns with a 8,000 square foot ice skating rink. Running November 1, 2017 through January 5, 2018.
24. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
26. Free admission at: Long Beach Museum of Art. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org