Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, August 7 to Friday, August 11, features a full moon hike, Dine LBC, Sundance NEXTFEST, the DTLA Art Walk, 626 Night Market, a Sunset Concert at Skirball, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday August 7th, 2017
1. Celebrate the full moon with an evening of yoga, meditation and sound healing hosted by Under The Sun in Long Beach. The event is donation based.
2. Grab a beer and get artistic by attempting to draw a live model at Angel City Brewery in DTLA when Drinky Draw returns for their popular beer and art event.
3. This Monday Westsiders will get a chance to preview the latest 365 during their pre-opening party from 6 to 8 p.m. You’ll be able to check out the new store while enjoying food and drink samples from Asian Box, Groundwork, Coolhaus, Organic Girl, Santa Monica Brew Works, Siete Family Foods, and more. FREE
4. There’s a Full Moon Hike at Franklin Canyon Ranch in Beverly Hills. The moderate hike takes 2.5 hours total and covers a total of 2.8 miles.
5. The LA Shorts International Film Festival returns with over 200 films from around the world from August 2 – 10.
6. Come to the Ford Theatres for a free summer JAM Session. Join Achinta S. McDaniel and dancers from Blue13 Dance Company as they provide instruction on Bollywood. All skill levels and ages welcome! FREE
7. Dine LBC is Long Beach’s own city wide restaurant taking place August 5 through 13. Each participating restaurant will offer a three-course menu during lunch and dinner for a special price.
8. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with Back to The Future on Monday.
Tuesday August 8th, 2017
9. The Moonlight Movies on the Beach series continues with a screening of Finding Dory at Granada Beach this Tuesday. FREE
10. Hollywood and Highland will be taken over by Summer Jazz Nights. While the show is free, you can secure guaranteed seating, wine, beer and a selection of cheese for a donation of just $14. It’s all for a good cause as 100% of the proceeds go to Project Angel Food. This week they will close out the series with Bria Skonberg.
11. Summer Movie Nights at Sweet Rose Creamery Studio City returns with The Goonies. FREE
12. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with The Fifth Element on Tuesday.
13. Spend an evening poolside and beneath the stars enjoying dinner, cocktails and a classic film as Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema returns with a screening of Boogie Nights.
Wednesday August 9th, 2017
15. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park.The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
16. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Wednesday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Soka University in Aliso Viejo. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
17. E.P. & L.P. presents ‘Melrose Rooftop Cinema’ in West Hollywood featuring sweeping city views, modern Asian cuisine and an outdoor movie experience every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evening through August 30. The series continues this week, starting with Star Wars Rogue One on Wednesday.
Thursday August 10th, 2017
18. Sundance NEXT FEST returns to the Theatre at Ace Hotel (August 10-13) with some of the best up and coming films alongside food, drinks, games and live music in DTLA.
19. Enjoy the ballet and a stellar view of Downtown Los Angeles when the American Contemporary Ballet presents MUSIC + DANCE+ LA II a night of dance, views 32 stories up high and more. Happening August 10 to 13.
20. Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, shop the art mart and sample nearby food trucks, and experience the overall flavor of the downtown Los Angeles Historic Core.
21. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Thursday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Roxbury Park in Beverly Hills. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
22. Twilight Concerts on the Pier continue this Thursdaywith Mon Laferte, Buscabulla and KCRW DJ Raul Campos. FREE
23. Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with Psycho. FREE
24. The 2017 season of the Skirball’s free Sunset Concert Series, inspired by the Skirball’s current high-profile exhibition Paul Simon: Words & Music, is a showcase for up-and-coming talents and established artists from Los Angeles and around the globe. The series continues with Delgres. FREE
25. The Gamble House in Pasadena will once again offer ‘Upstairs Downstairs’ Tours. In this 90 minute tour, walk through the architectural gem and learn about the history of family who lived their and the lives of the servants as well.
26. Shakespeare’s enchanting A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to Topanga Canyon’s Theatricum Botanicum for ten performances throughout the summer with their signature production in a uniquely rustic outdoor theater surrounded by oak trees.
27. Rockwell Table & Stage presents The Unauthorized Musical Parody of Bridesmaids a hilarious musical parody of one of the best chick flicks ever to hit the big screen. Happening Thursday and throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier will host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Ghost In The Machine a Police tribute will perform. FREE
Friday August 11th, 2017
30. Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum in Downtown Los Angeles for garden-inspired cocktails, music and botanical tours with the NHM garden staff. Guests are welcome to bring a picnic or purchase bites from food trucks, the event is free to attend. FREE
31. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights curated by Coleman at Grand Park. FREE
32. The San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights will feature a retro drive-in, screening movies connected to the SFV. Guests can enjoy pre-show music, surprise guests, and themed out entertainment. This week they will screen The Karate Kid. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
33. FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
34. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is an all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Storks. FREE
35. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Friday they’ll takeover Metro Arts Night at Union Station with KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez and Valida. FREE
36. 626 Night Market comes to Santa Anita Park from August 11-13 for the largest Asia-themed night market in the United States. It will feature food, merchandise, crafts, arts, games, music, and entertainment.
37. 30th Annual Long Beach Jazz Festival heads to Rainbow Lagoon Park August 11-13 for three sunny days of jazz, food and oceanside fun.
38. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
39. Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with The Mortal Instruments. FREE
40. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
41. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Clueless on August 11 and 12.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]