Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday through Friday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, September 17 to Friday, September 21, features Griffith Observatory Sunset Walk & Talk, Left, Right & Center Live, a Twilight on the Pier concert in Santa Monica, Venice Afterburn, Friday Night Fireworks at Dodger Stadium, a Silent Disco at Alcove, and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday September 17th, 2018
1. There’s a Doctor Who themed game night happening at Scum and Villainy Cantina. The night will include Doctor Who themed giveaways, board games, menu items and more.
2. On Monday check out a Cosmic Musings presentation and book signing event at Griffith Observatory focused on Exoplanets: the Flood of Discoveries Continues.
3. Bring a little meditation to your Monday at the Eastside/Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sitting Group
4. Broadway Sings Disney is a powerhouse concert developed from the Walt Disney catalog’s 80-plus years of magical music. From Steamboat Willie, to Frozen’s “Let It Go,” happening at the Rockwell Table & Stage. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Head to the Golden Road Brewery this Monday for Trivia Night presented by Geeks Who Drink.
6. Get centered during Beach Yoga SoCal. Feel the sand in your toes, calm your senses with the sound of the ocean and do a yoga flow during sunset. Class starts at 7 p.m. and cost $15.
Tuesday September 18th, 2018
7. G&B coffee located inside Grand Central Market will host a free coffee cupping demonstration at 2 p.m. led by an experienced barista. FREE
8. Rooftop Cinema Club returns to the rooftops of LEVEL in DTLA and NeueHouse in Hollywood with multiple screenings this week that include The Greatest Showman, Heat, Goodfellas and more.
9. 260LA is hosting a Sandro sample sale September 18-23. Score deals on the French labels mens and womens ready-to-wear, shoes and accessories .
10. E.P. & L.P. in West Hollywood continues their stylish cinema series Melrose Rooftop Theatre with a screening of Back to the Future 3, Groundhog Day and more this week.
11. Movie Nights at Tropicana Bar located at The Hollywood Roosevelt hotel will throw Angelenos a movie night series every Tuesday night from 8 to 11 p.m. from June through September by the David Hockney painted Tropicana Pool. Screening this week is Ed Wood.
Wednesday September 19th, 2018
13. Head over to Santa Monica for Twilight on the Pier. This fall a wide range of musical groups and artists will performance across different stages, transforming the pier into a festival, complete with art, a beer and spirits garden, games, and interactive activations.
14. Griffith Observatory offers a Sunset Walk & Talk one evening a month led by a Park Ranger and museum guide. FREE
15. The Super Serious Show is a comedy event produced by CleftClips featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. Happening at The Virgil.
16. Join The Stalking Horse for their first beer dinner this Wednesday in their open-air back patio. Guests will enjoy a four course pairing menu featuring exclusive house brews and one-off dishes by Chef Robert Mooney .
17. The LA County Fair at the Pomona Fairplex hosts an enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, carnival style food and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. There’s two new hyper-realistic VR experience at The VOID in Glendale a Ghostbusters themed experience and a scarier Nicodemus: Demon of Evanishment experience. Experiences run on different days, be sure to check their schedule.
19. Liquid Intelligence will take over The Mixing Room from 6-7 p.m. for one hour of a complimentary cocktail. This time guests will get a taste of Beefeater Gin London Blood Orange Negroni. FREE
20. The Garvey Ranch Observatory will host an evening of astronomy with members of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society. Guest will have a chance to go into the dome to view the stars, enjoy a star party on the lawn, and learn how to build their own telescope. The observatory is open to the public on Wednesday nights only. FREE
21. The Hammer Museum presents a conversation with photographer Bruce Talamon with special guest Verdine White of Earth, Wind & Fire this Wednesday. FREE
22. BOURBON STEAK in Glendale will celebrate National Cheeseburger Day (9/18) and Heritage Bourbon Month by offering diners a gut busting burger special. On Tuesday guests can enjoy a 8oz patty blend of brisket and short-rib topped with red wine onion, mushroom duxelles and bourbon steak sauce, slathered in a Maker’s Mark demi-glace.
Thursday September 20th, 2018
23. KCRW’s political show Left, Right & Center returns to The Eli and Edythe Broad Stage to talk policy, the midterm election and more with a range of guests from all spectrums of politics.
24. Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
25. Knott’s Scary Farm is back with their signature haunted attractions, mazes and thousands of monsters ready to scare the living day light out of you and your crew.
26. Join New York Times writer Michael Barbaro and friends for “The Daily” live, a special live version of the hit podcast discussing Immigration in the Trump Era at The Theatre at Ace Hotel this Thursday.
27. Third Thursdays on Brand Avenue in Glendale, features music, food, drinks, DIY activities, artisanal vendors and an after hours at the Museum of Neon Art.
28. Join author Jen Bilik for her book launch for This is (Not) L.A.: An Insider’s Guide to the Real Angeles at the Natural History Museum. The event will feature food trucks, a lively discussion with the author and a few familiar LA faces including KCRW Good Food host Evan Kleiman, Curbed LA editor Alissa Walker and more. This event is free in conjunction with NHM’s celebrated Becoming Los Angeles exhibit. FREE
29. NoMad Los Angeles will debut its quarterly NoMadic Bartenders series this Thursday with top bartenders from around the world shaking up cocktails alongside the NoMad bar crew from 5-10 p.m. on the Rooftop.
30. The night market at hilltop Asian restaurant Yamashiro back for 2018 every Thursday, from 5 to 9 p.m., through September 27. Angelenos can enjoy a farmers market, freshly prepared foods and Yamashiro’s unbeatable views of Hollywood.
31. Thursday is Game Night at Grand Central Market. From 6-10 p.m. grab dinner and drinks, then head to the Hill St. Platform side and play some ping pong, corn hole, Jenga and much more.
32. Free museum days: Pasadena Museum of California Art (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
Friday September 21st, 2018
33. Shake off the dust of Burning Man at Venice Afterburn, a 3-day long event (September 21-23) showcasing the art, installations, mutant vehicles, and everything else we know and love about Burning Man, right in Venice Beach. FREE
34. Man’s best friend finally has an art exhibit made just for them! dOGUMENTA LA is a free, dog-friendly art show hosted over two consecutive weekends (September 14-16 & 21-23) at FIGat7th in Downtown L.A. FREE
35. Friday Night Fireworks at Dodger Stadium will feature a dazzling fireworks show on the field after the game paired with music. This week the boys in blue will go up against the San Diego Padres. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Alcove | Big Bar welcomes the arrival of Autumn with a special silent disco party spanning the main garden patio. The shindig will feature a lillet spritz and flower bouquet bar, a beer garden on the south patio complete with giant lawn games, plus Absolut Elyx punches and bottled cocktails created by own bar manager Cari Hah in copper disco punch bowls. FREE
37. Alpine Village Oktoberfest celebrates 50 years! The fun kicks off this Friday with traditional Bavarian fun like Oom Pah Pah party bands, German fare, and delicious cold German beers. Oktoberfest runs Fridays and Saturdays September 7 through October 27
38. Get up close and personal with sharks at the Aquarium of the Pacific during Shark Lagoon Nights. Guests will have the opportunity to touch bamboo sharks and view large sharks in an after hours setting.
39. Celebrate the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein at Corey Helford Gallery during Frankenstein 200 a group art show featuring over 100 artist. On view now through October 13. FREE
40. Pasadena Greek Fest Taste will have guests enjoying authentic food, live Greek music and dancing in a family friendly setting September 21-23.
41. There’s a midnight showing of Hedwig And The Angry Inch at the Landmark Nuart Theatre on the westside this Friday.
Food Pick for the Week
View this post on Instagram
#LoveOurCity is going strong 💪🏼 This month order a @greenbardistillery CITY Bright Gin Cocktail from 100+ bars and restaurants in California and help Greenbar Distillery hit their goal of donating 50k 🌯 🌯🌯to the hungry. Buy a drink. Donate a burrito. It’s that simple 🙌🏼 Watch our IG story on how to get involved. 📸 @chrissy.stardust #welikela #sushiburrito #losangelesfood
This week’s pick by Christina Champlin, Co-Founder of We Like L.A.
Greenbar Distillery’s #LoveOurCity campaign wants to feed the hungry and they want Californians to get involved. Through the month of September, you can order a CITY Bright Gin cocktail at 100+ participating restaurants and bars (including at Sake Dojo picture above!). For every drink purchased, Greenbar Distillery will donate a burrito to The Burrito Project. Their goal is to reach 50,000 burritos. See the list of participating spots here. If you’d like to go beyond buying a drink, consider volunteering at The Burrito Project and help prepare and pass out burritos to those in need.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org