You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, May 16, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] BB Dakota is having a sample sale from May 16-20. All items will be $10. Sizes range from xs to 2x and include dress, rompers, blazers, jackets and more.
2. [5 p.m.] LA Times Food Bowl Night Market (May 16-20) features dozens of restaurants and food trucks selling food for purchase, plus an assortment of DJ’d music and entertainment, taking place in Downtown Los Angeles’ Grand Park.
3. [6:30 p.m.] Visit The Autry for Las Mujeres, a special after-hours event inspired by the museum’s LA RAZA exhibition. A line up of fierce females and allies will make up the night of poetry, music, and art.
4. [7 p.m.] FLIX at FIG will screen Oceans Eleven at FIGat7th in DTLA. The free movie screenings happen every third Wednesday of the month. A live DJ and happy hour kicks off the night at 6 p.m. and the film begins at 7 p.m. FREE
5. [7 p.m.] The Garvey Ranch Observatory will host an evening of astronomy with members of the Los Angeles Astronomical Society. Guest will have a chance to go into the dome to view the stars, enjoy a star party on the lawn, and learn how to build their own telescope. The observatory is open to the public on Wednesday nights only. FREE
6. [8 p.m.] The Tony and Olivier Award-nominated musical Blues in the Night brings its show stopping production to The Wallis now until May 20.
7. [8 p.m.] Bad Housekeeping at Good Housekeeping in Highland Park pops up every Wednesday now through May 30. On these nights you’ll find libations inspired by bad recipes of the past including a ‘glazed ham’ and cherry cordials cocktail.
8. [9 p.m.] BE KIND, REWIND an epic 90s party will takeover Lucky Strike Live in Hollywood. The FOO FLANNELS will provide the 90s cover tunes and specialty themed cocktails will be served all night long. The event is free to attend and there will be giveaways throughout the night that include Airheads, slap bracelets and even POGS.
9. [9 p.m.] Puerto Rican percussionist Aponte performs at Apotheke in DTLA. No cover! FREE
10. [various] Beyond the Streets is a fully immersive exhibition of street and graffiti art comprised of over 30 artist in a massive 40,000+ square feet exhibits. Artist are an eclectic mix of street and beyond including Retna, Shepard Fairey, Kenny Scharf Dennis Hopper and Jenny Holzer. Open Tuesday through Sunday this week.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $5 tix to the VIP Supermarket at the LA Times FOOD BOWL Night Market (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.