You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead for the day at hand in the city you live in.
So here it is!
Below is our quick link list of 10 fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, May 19, 2017.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [2 p.m.] WhedonCon 2017 kicks off this Friday a the Warner Center Marriott with three full days of cosplay, contests, panels, workshops and more. From Firefly to Buffy and beyond!
2. [4 p.m.] The Desert Cahuilla Birdsingers, an ensemble who preserve and perform the storied tradition of Native American “Bird” songs, will make a debut appearance at Los Angeles’ Union Station this Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. in the North Patio. Presented by Metro Art Los Angeles, this program is free and open to the public. FREE
3. [6 p.m.] Downtown Dark Nights at L.A. LIVE is a Friday night street party featuring $5 food and drink menus, live music, street performers, and a marketplace featuring eclectic goods from local artisans and vendors. FREE
4. [6 p.m.] Constitution Happy Hour at AMMO at The Hammer continues this Friday with a focus on the question “Can the Constitution save LGBT and gender-based rights?”
5. [7:30 p.m.] National Geographic Live: Rhinos, Rickshaws & Revolutions at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica.
6. [7:30 p.m.] Unconventional Narrative: Films of Oliver Stone is a three day series at American Cinemathique celebrating the work of the iconic filmmaker through select screenings of the director’s work, along with in-person appearances from Stone, himself.
7. [8 p.m.] Don’t Tell My Mother at Busby’s East.
8. [8 & 10 p.m.] Any weirdly obsessed Tom Cruise fans out there? Tom Gun LIVE: A Maverick’s Homage brings a raucous interactive parody show to the Regent chalked full of karaoke sing-a-longs, dance offs, audience fueled paper airplane battles, missiles ziplining through the crowd, and much more.
9. [8 p.m.] 90’s R&B icon Genuwine will be performing this Friday at the SOL Venue in Carson. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [various] Björk Digital is a groundbreaking virtual reality collection of videos, featuring music from Björk’s latest album, Vulnicura, to be shown at Magic Box at The Reef in Downtown L.A. starting on May 19.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $30 to see Air at the Greek Theater (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.