You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, August 11, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] The world’s largest Korean culture convention KCON stops in Los Angeles from August 10 to 12 for a celebration of music, Korean pop culture, workshops, meet-and-greets, and more.
2. [10 a.m.] Nisei Week Japanese Festival (Aug 11-12) returns to the streets of Little Tokyo, beaming with food, culture, entertainment, a grand parade and more. FREE Also happening during Nisei Week is the 10th Annual Tanabata Festival on August 11-12. The family friendly weekend will explore the historic neighborhood of Little Tokyo, participate in workshops and games, shop unique vendor booths, and enjoy live entertainment. FREE
3. [11 a.m.] Angel City Brewery’s 6th Annual Avocado Festival takes place August 11-12, celebrating the state fruit with music, food, and limited release Avocado Ale.
4. [4 p.m.] The 626 Night Market is back for its seventh season at Santa Anita Park. Happening again August 10 to 12, the event features over 250 vendors selling crafts, merchandise, art, music and a massive selection of food from local restaurants, food trucks and more.
5. [5 p.m.] The Silverlake Flea-Night Market taking place every Saturday from 5-10 p.m. all summer long features a plethora of local, independent sellers that offer vintage clothing, art, rare vinyl, crafts, and much more.
6.  Bruce Lurie Gallery will hold an opening reception from 6 to 9 p.m. for “Street Meat !!!”, a group show highlighting influential and talented street and pop artists from Banksy, Jean-Michel Basquiat, Shepard Fairey to Thrashbird, Le Fou, John Paul Fauves and more. On view August 11 through September 5. This Saturday is also Culver City Arts Districts Second Saturday where galleries stay open from 4 to 6 p.m. for evening viewings and special events. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] de Plume will be transformed by Laurie Shapiro into a stunning forrest of intricately painted flowers made to represent the vagina. Titled “All Yoni Is Love,” the exhibit features stylized large paintings, reflective mylar, and hanging orbs of light is made to celebrate the beauty and power of all woman. On view August 11 through September 1 with an opening reception this Saturday from 6 to 10 p.m.. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] KCRW’s Summer Nights ongoing Backyard Party series will feature a solo acoustic performance by Jim James and KCRW DJs Liza Richardson and Chris Douridas will spin tunes all night. A selection of food trucks curated by KCRW’s Evan Kleiman will also be available, along with record collectors and dealers hand-selected by Beats Swap Meet. FREE
9. [8 p.m.] Frida Kahlo Under the Stars with Gregorio Luke comes to LA Plaza de Culturas y Artes on Saturday. The evening dedicated to the iconic artist will feature a kaleidoscopic portrait of Frida Kahlo, with more than 300 slides of her paintings and documentary photographs, as well as rare film footage.
10. [8 p.m.] Looking for a spot to view this weekend’s Perseid meteor shower? The City of Glendale Community Services & Parks Department is hosting a Meteor Madness viewing party at Deukmejian Wilderness Park this Saturday night, featuring astronomy-themed snacks and drinks. Free to attend. Follow this link for info on reserving a spot to the event. FREE
DEAL OF THE DAY: $35 tix to Florence and The Machine at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.