Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Jan. 27 to Jan. 29) includes a SoCal Museum Free-For-All, A Night on Broadway, the L.A. Beer and Food Festival, the stARTup Art Fair, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday January 27th, 2017
1. The Forest Lawn Museum presents David Bowie: Among the Mexican Masters, an exhibition that highlights rare moments from the late musician’s only visit to Mexico City 20 years ago. FREE
2. GIRLSCHOOL is back at the Bootleg Theater from Jan. 27 through 29. The Los Angeles-based women-led music festival features great music, educational panels, and community-oriented workshops for girls and women alike. This year’s line-up includes Chelsea Wolfe, The Bird and the Bee, Deap Vally, Caroline Smith, and other unique artists.
3. stARTup Art Fair comes to the Highland Gardens Hotel in Hollywood (Jan. 27-29) with a unique selection of art made by 39 artists from all over the country. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatre in Hollywood Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Dragapalooza takes over the El Portal Theatre with an over-the-top variety show featuring a cast of celebrity drag queens that include RuPaul’s Drag Race winner Sharon Needles, Adore Delano, Courtney Act, Derrick Barry, Willam, Mimi Imfurst and Trixie Mattel. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. MORE ART HERE: Open Studios at Santa Monica Art Studios (Jan. 27-29) is a free event featuring over 25 artists as they open their studios to the public and allow attendees to interact, speak with and watch the artists at work.
7. Art Los Angeles Contemporary’s 8th Annual Art Fair at Barker Hangar (Jan. 26-29) in Santa Monica will feature galleries from around the world and incorporate talks, presentations and performances by various artists. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. It’s a Presidential themed Rocky Horror Picture Show at The Rockwell. Let broadway, film and TV stars dazzle you on stage to help you forget about the dismal election for just one moment. Show happens Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. The Inaugural Classic Auto Show comes to the LA Convention Center on Jan. 27-29. The three-day celebration of all things auto will showcase the best classic and vintage cars from all over the world. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Inked presents the California Golden State Tattoo Expo at the Pasadena Convention Center on Jan. 27, 28, and 29 for a gathering of the most talented tattoo artists all under one roof.
12. Every Friday of January, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Seasonal Cocktails.
13. Taschen’s semi annual sale takes place at the North Beverly Drive location (Jan. 26-29) the sale is the perfect time to re stock your book shelves! Score discounts of 30% to 75% on display and slightly damaged titles in subjects like fashion, art, architecture, photography, music, interior design, pop culture, and more
14. The Pasadena Museum of California Art is currently having a special on admission through Goldstar where tickets are complementary with a $3 service fee (tickets usually cost $7 a person.) See current exhibits by Llyod Hamrol, Joan Perlman and a 90 painting show on California coast culture titled: In the Land of Sunshine. The promo runs throughout the week and weekend for the next few weeks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. All Saints Sample Sale runs Jan. 27 to Jan 28 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Discounts range from 40%-75% on men’s and women’s apparel, handbags, shoes and more.
Location: Cooper Building 860 S. Los Angeles Street Lobby L, Los Angeles, CA 90014.
16. dineL.A. Restaurant Week concludes on Friday offering food-lovers prix-fixe menus from top restaurants across Los Angeles. Need a little help selecting places to go? Try our nifty guide to dineL.A. which includes our top picks 😉
17. Spend a day at the races with the Farriers Package at Santa Anita Race Tracks. The package includes admission to the races, box seating and a racing program, along with a pint of local craft beer. Happening Friday and Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. Joes Jeans is having a sample sale Jan. 27 to Jan 28 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Score 70%-80% off on men’s and women’s apparel and shoes. Prices run $5-$20.
Location: Santee Court, 716 S. Los Angeles St., Los Angeles 90014.
19. Redondo Beach Restaurant Week concludes on Friday, featuring 14 eateries from the beach city’s burgeoning food scene. All participating restaurants will offer either specially priced prix-fixe lunches and/or dinners, or other Restaurant Week-only specials.
20. HALSTON HERITAGE is having a sample sale this Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Cooper Building. They’re offering up to 70% off women’s ready-to-wear, dresses and handbags.
Location: Cooper Building 860 S. Los Angeles Street 6th Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90014
21. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Triple brand sample sale alert! Bailey 44, Ali & Jay, and Superfine are joining forces for one big sale Jan. 27 to Jan 29 (Fr.-Sat. 10 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sun. 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.). Save 50%-80% on women’s apparel and accessories.
Location: 395 Santa Monica Place, Santa Monica, 90401.
23. Free admission day this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
Saturday January 28th, 2017
24. DTLA’s biggest block(s) party is back! Night on Broadway returns this Saturday and is set to feature hundreds of popular performers and acts spread over seven city blocks, six historic venues, and eight separate stages. Last year the event drew an estimated 60,000 attendees. FREE
25. Head to Paramount Ranch in Agoura for the National Park Service’s annual Winter Star Party. Take an up close look at the night-sky through numerous high-powered telescopes. In addition there will be children’s activities and Dr. Tyler Nordgren will give a presentation about astronomy in national parks. FREE
26. The L.A. Beer & Food Festival comes to historic Mack Sennett Studios in Silver Lake with a sampling of beers from more than 40 independently-owned brewers from around Los Angeles County. With unlimited tastings of more than 100 beers, and free snacks from some incredible local restaurants on the table.
27. The traveling Hello Kitty Cafe Truck is having a pop-up at the Del Amo Fashion Center this Saturday, Jan. 28, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. near the AMC Theaters. Expect Hello Kitty inspired treats, branded macaron box sets, cookies, doughnuts, mugs, and shirts… basically everything you’d ever need to fulfill your Hello Kitty cravings.
28. Santa Anita Park’s annual Sunshine Millions California Cup is a day of Cali thoroughbred racing and a wine festival mixed into one. Guest receive 12 two-ounce wine tastings, food samples and grandstand seating. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Frank Bros.: The Store That Modernized Modern exhibit focuses on the iconic Long Beach store that epitomized the optimistic ethos of cool MCM design and California modernism. Showing at the University Art Museum at CSULB. Opening reception takes place this Saturday. FREE
30. Ring in the year of the Fire Rooster at the 3rd annual San Gabriel Lunar New Year Festival. Guests can visit San Gabriel’s historic Mission District for New Year celebrations including a street food fair and dance competition. FREE
20. Iliza Shlesinger and more will be doing stand-up at L.A.’s legendary Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Classically trained vocalist-turned-comedian and writer Eliot Glazer is bringing his hilarious live show Haunting Renditions with Eliot Glazer to the Echo this Saturday. The show is based on Eliot’s web series where he takes some of pop music’s most infamous songs and turns them into highbrow, sweeping ballads. Tickets for the show cost $11.50.
32. Bricks LA is a massive Lego convention coming to the Pasadena Convention Center this Saturday and Sunday. Admission is $10 and gains access to Lego vendors, artists, displays, interactive demos, and more. Oh, and kids 5 and under are free!
33. Sanctuary Fitness is hosting a grand opening Pop-Up Shop experience on Saturday and Sunday with complementary indoor cycling, strength focused HIIT classes, food, drinks and shopping. FREE
34. FAR Bazaar 2017 will take over 50+ abandoned rooms, transforming 30,000 square feet of interior into an alternative art space for public viewing on Jan. 28 to 29. FAR is one of the oldest artist-run non-profits in SoCal and will celebrate its 40th anniversary at the show.
35. Brooklyn-born craft market Artists & Fleas will be Venice Beach this weekend and will feature locally made art, fashion, vintage and beyond.
Sunday January 29th, 2017
36. SoCal Museum Free-For-All Day returns Sunday with over 30 museums offering free admission at locations spread throughout the greater Southern California area. Participants for this year include many locations that are not normally free such as the Natural History Museum, LACMA, MOCA, and Descanso Gardens, along with museums that regularly offer free admission such as both Getty campuses, The Natural History Museum, and The Broad. FREE
37. The Pickwick Vintage Show returns to Burbank with over 65 exhibitors with collections of vintage clothing, jewelry, accessories, textiles and other unique finds.
38. Chinese New Year Festival in Monterey Park is a two day street fair featuring live entertainment, art, street food and a carnival. FREE
39. The Breakfast Club Cruise-In comes to the Petersen Automotive Museum on Sunday for a morning stroll through rows of classic, custom, exotic cars, trucks, motorcycles, and much more on the third floor of the Petersen’s parking structure.
40. Attention outdoor adventurers! Head to the Last Bookstore this Sunday for an informative discussion with Modern Hiker founder Casey Schreiner as he talks about his new book Day Hiking: Los Angeles. FREE
41. The Queen Mary is issuing a special Locals’ Annual Pass to make it easier than ever for SoCal residents to visit the world-famous cruise liner all year round. The pass includes complimentary three-hour parking and admission to the ship and exhibits. Grab yours for a special price on Goldstar! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. HM157’s Swell Sunday Swap Meet Social will have vintage, original art, rare records and more for sale. There will also be DJ’s, food and a full bar to boot!
43. There’s an All Lady Dance Party happening this Sunday to raise money for the DTLA Women’s Center. Taking place at the Sweat Shop in Silver Lake, head on by for a workout session that’s not only freeing (no judging on your moves!) but also brings you together with cool ladies supporting each other and a worthy cause.
45. Celebrate the Lunar New Year at Westfield Santa Anita this Sunday with several traditional dance performances, live calligraphy, music and giveaways. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]