Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (August 12-14) includes the Perseid Meteor Shower peak, the Frogtown Art Walk, the return of the Electric Dusk Drive-In, BrunchCon LA, a free milk shake pop-up, the Angel City Brewery Avocado Festival, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday August 12th, 2016
1. If you stay up really late on Thursday night and into Friday morning you can check out the peak ‘outburst’ of the 2016 Perseid Meteor Shower (that is, if you’re willing to make the drive to a location with a sufficiently dark sky).
2. On Friday ‘Movie Under The Guns‘ will present a special free outdoor screening of Brave on board the fantail of Battleship IOWA in San Pedro. FREE
3. Downtown Los Angeles will be taken over by the Sundance Film Festival for three days (August 12-14) of film and music events during the 2016 Sundance NEXT FEST.
4. Pete’s Dragon soars into the El Capitan Theatre this weekend with Disneys latest live action tale of a boy and his dragon. Guest can also view a special dragon exhibit featuring Dragons from Disney movies and theme parks including Pete’s Dragon to the purple dragon Figment in Fantasmic at Epcot. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is a all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Inside Out. FREE
6. The 12th annual HollyShorts Film Festival is back with screenings of feature films, conferences, parties and more from August 11 through August 20.
7. Dance Downtown will offer an open air dance floor with beginner dance lessons taught by top Los Angeles dance instructors alongside a live band or DJ. This week it will be salsa at The Music Center Plaza! FREE
8. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Cymbeline at Roxbury Park Thursday, Othello at Polliwog Park Friday and Cymbeline at Polliwog Park Saturday. FREE
9. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED Friday and Saturday (via Goldstar)
10. The 5th Annual Marina del Rey Film Festival is back August 12 through August 14. The event will feature films from local up-and-coming filmmakers as well as educational workshops.
11. Once Upon a Canyon Night brings together nature and art for a series of performances in the S. Mark Taper Foundation Amphitheater nestled among the trees July 23 through September 17. This weekend is a staged reading of “The Best Man” by Gore Vidal. Check for discounted tickets for this weeks performances DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. Shakespeare in the Park offers free donation-based Shakespeare performance at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park this month “The Tempest” will run now through Sunday. FREE
13. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. Summertime Cinema at Westfield Culver City will screen Lilo & Stitch. FREE
15. Grand Performances in DTLA will host performances by Heidi Duckler Dance Theatre – FishEyes Friday and Disco Manila Saturday. FREE
16. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
17. Paper or Plastik Café and The Flower Chef present Flower Therapy Night an intimate DIY evening of floral creations with celebrity florist and author of The Flower Chef, Carly Cylinder. All materials will be provided including: fresh cut flowers, vases, clippers, an apron and more.
18. Presented by Arts Brookfield every Friday night the FIGat7th plaza will host free concerts for the public spanning multiple music genres all summer. FREE
19. 29th Annual Long Beach Jazz Festival takes over the Rainbow Lagoon Park for three days of music under the sun. Line up includes Dave Koz, Kenny Lattimore and the Sax Pack.
20. Do you listen to My Blood Valentine, Slowdive, and Cocteau Twins? If so you might want to stop by Shugazi 2016 a night of music dedicated to shoegaze music happening in Downtown Long Beach Courtyard Marriott rooftop.
21. SPLENDID and ELLA MOSS are hosting a warehouse sale at The Cooper Building. Shop up to 90% off retail for women, men, tween, toddler and baby this Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Location: The Cooper Building, 860 S. Los Angeles Street 11th Floor LA, CA 90014
22. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Saturday August 13th, 2016
23. The 10th Anniversary of the Frogtown Artwalk will turn into a festival along the L.A. River! Free to attend guest will enjoy tours studios, live performances and much more. FREE
24. Check out a free Black Tap milk shake pop-up at IT’SUGAR in Santa Monica. FREE
25. The Electric Dusk Drive-In is back at a new location on Fletcher Street at the LACCD Van De Kamp college campus complete with an astroturf outdoor seating area. Bring a car or come with lawn chairs this week The Devil Wears Prada will be screened. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Enjoy some tunes by the water! Marina Del Rey Summer Concert Series Pop Saturdays take place every alternate Saturday at Burton Chace Park through August 27. This week Ra Ra Riot will perform. FREE
27. Comic Anthony Jeslnik will take the stage at the iconic Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip with some very special guests this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. In conjunction with Fandango, Dodger Stadium is hosting a ‘movie plus a ball game’ night by screening the cult classic Ferris Bueller’s Day Off post game.
29. Take a bite out of summer at The Watermelon Festival (August 13-14) featuring games, rides, live bands, contests, shopping, delicious food for purchase and all-you-can-eat-watermelon!!!
30. L.A. based burlesque troupe The Dollface Dames take over the Magicopolis stage for a night of tease, balloon popping, belly dance and even clogging. Lets just say they do a lot in their 80 minute show. But the fun doesn’t end there the Magicopolis bartenders double as magicians! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar).
31. The first annual Fire It Up Barbecue fundraiser will feature some of the fiercest firefighters engaging in the ultimate contest for BBQ grill glory at the African American Firefighters Museum in Downtown Los Angeles. Tickets start at just $15 and proceeds benefit the museum and the Fire Family Foundation.
33. As part of the Hulu Summer Road Trip in collaboration with Street Food Cinema will offer a free screening of 90’s hit tv show Saved by the Bell and 80’s cult classic Flashdance will take place at Eagle Rock Rec Park. If you want the best seats in the house Goldstar has some tickets in the front section for just $3. FREE
34. Check out the 7th Annual LA Craft Beer Crawl attendees will have over 100 craft beers choices to sample from across seven downtown bars and restaurants.
35. The Japanese American National Museum will once again host the Natsumatsuri Family Festival the event is free and filled with family fun activities all day long. FREE
36. Nisei Week is back for it’s 76th year, the Japanese festival will take place in Little Tokyo from August 13-21 with community events, cultural exhibits, performances, tea ceremonies, martial art tournaments and more. FREE
37. KX Music Fest (aka Korean Exchange Music Fest) is a FREE summer concert showcasing this years Korean up-and-coming artists in and around Los Angeles. FREE
38. The Redondo Pier Association will once again sponsor the biggest free summer concert series in the South Bay. Featuring 20 bands throughout the summer every Thursday and Saturday from July 2 to September 3.
39. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Saturday. DISCOUNTED
40. Watch a movie inside the British Burlington Arcade during Float’s Annual CineRamaDena a free summer screening series. This week they will screen Ratatouille. FREE
41. Farmer John is set to roll around Los Angeles in a food truck serving up free Dodger Dogs, All Beef Hot Dogs and Smoked Sausage Dogs on August 13 and 14. FREE
43. The Huntington Beach Beer Festival will feature unlimited samples of over 100 local and regional craft beers, food trucks and live entertainment.
43. Union Station will play host to Live Nation’s Ones To Watch concert series, co-presented by KROQ’s Locals Only. This week music will be provided by Salt Petal. FREE
44. The 84th Annual Great Sand Sculpture Contest takes place August 13-14 you can check out this FREE traditional community event, complete with sculpture masterpieces from world-class professional sand artists, a semi-professional sculpting category, community competition and more. FREE
45. Check out an Art Walk featuring local galleries and business in Old Town Pasadena starting at noon on Saturday. FREE
46. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Saturday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
47. Revolutionario is hosting a demo cooking class at their store focused on vegetables, the class cost $35. Stop by their Farm Stand before hand it’s a curated version of a farmers market.
48. Eventrockit Food Market is a free outdoor food and drink festival featuring over 50 culinary creators happening every other Saturday now till October.
49. Brooklyn-born craft market Artists & Fleas in Venice will feature locally made art, fashion, vintage edibles and beyond. FREE
Sunday August 14th, 2016
50. BrunchCon comes to The Reef in DTLA promising tastings, cooking and cocktail demos, celebrity chefs, brunch activities, merchandise and more.
51. Love and Hip-Hop breakout start K. Michelle is performing at the Microsoft Novo. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
52. Angel City Brewery is celebrating its Avocado Ale with a Avocado Festival. Expect food pairings, brewer-led tours, live music and even a art exhibit dedicated to the green fruit. FREE
53. Take a walk, a bike ride, spin, or dance through Los Angeles this summer, just make sure to leave your car at home! CicLAvia, an LA-based nonprofit that opens streets to car-less adventure in LA county, is coming to the iconic Wilshire Boulevard this Sunday. FREE
54. One of Los Angeles’ biggest and longest running non-juried exhibitions is back! An opening reception for Open Call will take place this Sunday featuring some 300 unique artists from all over SoCal. FREE
55. The Burbank Comedy Festival starts this Sunday as part of a week-long takeover of Flapper’s Comedy Club in Burbank.
56. The Jazz on the Lawn summer concert series returns to Santa Monica at Seward Street Park with family-friendly events, live music, food trucks, and lots of summertime fun. FREE
57. The 2nd Annual Tiki Social is back at Roxanne’s in Long Beach! Step into the world of Tiki by sipping on delicious rum drinks, tiki shopping, live island music and even par take in a rum tastings.ovember 27.
58. Malibu Country Mart celebrates the end of summer with their 4th annual Summer Block Party. The shopping center will be transformed into a colorful street fair from noon to 3 p.m. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]