Angelenos love food… and so do we!
So to help keep you on the pulse of the culinary scene every week we’re starting a weekly roundup of the best food related news bites (get it?) into one easy-to-digest rundown.
This week: Plus wine dinners, free healthy soft serve, 70-cent chili burgers from Tommy’s and a brand new food truck cooking up Peruvian/Japanese cuisine!
Your food news cliffsnotes start after the jump.
From an idea that was thought about 15 months ago to a reality! #pablitos Get ready #la our food truck opens in couple of days and our restaurant in the summer #losangeles #hollywood #glendale #burbank #portos #foodie #food #vannuys #culvercity #dtla #santamonica #yummy #coachella #eeeeeats #eatingla #foodtrucks @foodtruckfridaywest #easthollywood #hollywoodblvd #reseda #chef #sunsetblvd #foodie @yelpla #cheflife #echopark #silverlake #dodgers #eeeeeats @yelpla #food #tgif #friday #foodtrucks #sanders @gastonacurio
- To celebrate the big 7-0 The Original Tommy’s will be offering their famous chili burger for a throwback price of just $0.70 on Sunday, May 15 from noon to midnight at the site of the first Original Tommy’s location at Beverly and Rampart Blvd. That $0.70 also comes with a soda!
- Häagen-Dazs is once again hosting their annual free cone day on May 10th from 4-8 p.m. at store locations all over the county as a way of saying thanks to their U.S. customers. Locations in L.A. include The Grove, Burbank Town Center, and the Glendale Galleria.
- FYI: Tasti D-Lite in Santa Monica is offering free soft serve for all moms on Mondays for the month of May.
- Cassia will start serving lunch this week. Chef Bryant Ng has created a brand-new menu that includes clay oven bread sandwiches, Southeast Asian inspired salads, and the return of The Spice Table burger renamed The Cassia Burger.
- Friendly reminder that Knuckle & Claw has opened a second location on the West Side in Santa Monica. New to the eatery is a oyster bar, house-made whoopie pies and a seafood topped salad.
- Salt & Straw is introducing a flower-inspired flavor series just in time for Spring. On the lineup will be refreshing selections like Grand Poppy Sorbet with Spring Flowers, Dill Flowers & Fennel Pollen and Rhubarb Crumble with Toasted Anise. See all the flavors here.
- New Food truck Alert: Pablito’s Peruvian Kitchen seems to be the first Peruvian/Japanese food truck to hit the streets of Los Angeles. So far the reviews on Yelp have been positive and the census seem to favor the sea bass ceviche, filet mignon lomo saltado and beef hearts skewers. So far they have set up shop behind the CVS at 5500 Hollywood Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90028. Follow them on Instagram for latest updates and hours.
- TART inside the Farmer’s Daughter Hotel in the Fairfax District will launch Red, White and Blues a weekly, live music event on Thursdays featuring a signature wine and burger pairing menu for $24 a person available from 5 p.m. to close.
- On May 11, top winemakers Grassini, Westerly, and Zaca Mesa will join Messhall for a Santa Barbara Wine Dinner to discuss AVAs and world class varietals. Guests will enjoy nine different wines paired with Chef Pritchett’s creative courses. Cost $59 per person, See the full menu and reservations info here.
- Angel City Brewery is hosting a beer and cheese tasting Thursday May 12. Certified Cicerones Dan Shapiro, Keith Ely of Angel City Brewery and owner of Vagabond Cheese Co., Alex Ourieff will be guiding guests through a tasting of five Angel City beers each paired with an artisanal cheese, along with crackers, nuts, dried fruit and preserves. Find tickets to the tasting here.
- Progressive American restaurant The Guild, presents a wine dinner on Sunday, May 15 with Portuguese Winemaker Luis Duarte. The 30 seat dinner by Executive Chef Charles Cho will include ceviche paired with Monte Do Carrapatelo 2014, Vinho Branco; wild mushroom bruschette paired with Agusti Torello Mata, sparkling Rosat 2009; and Game of Thrones lamb chops paired with Rapariga Red Reserva 2012, among others.
- Must hit up place of the week goes to Howlin’ Ray’s Nashville Hot Chicken. After months of depriving folks of their crispy spicy chicken the former food truck giant has finally opened it’s brick n mortar in Chinatowns Far East Plaza. Hours are Wednesday-Sunday 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Finally, just a quick snapshot of the best thing we’ve eaten in the past week, this Prime Rib at Spear Steak & Seafood cooked medium rare with au jus and a loaded potato. 🍴🐮
Make sure to follow @WeLikeLA on Instagram for more of our food adventures and pics.