Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Dec. 19 to Friday, Dec. 23, features free botanical garden days, free holiday concerts, an 80’s action film double-feature, a Locals Appreciation Night, Harry Potter burlesque, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday December 19th, 2016
1. Angel City Brewery will host Ale Academy: Guided Cheese and Beer Pairing with Vagabond Cheese and Quadratic Formula beer. Tickets cost $20.
2. The Holiday Concert Series at Grand Performances concludes Monday with a “French Horn Holiday” performed by the Horns A Plenty mass horn choir starting at noon. FREE
3. Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens will offer visitors a colorful one-mile path route through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden. Happening now through Jan. 8. Check for Discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. The Queen Mary’s signature winter attraction, CHILL, returns with a holiday theme of Alice in Winterland, promising an interactive and immersive experiences for the whole family to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets all week before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. LA Zoo Lights is back! Now in its third year, the after-hours event showcases animal-themed LEDs, lasers, 3D projections, and animated displays throughout the zoo. Happening all week. Check for discounted tickets all week before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Largest outdoor ice skating rink returns to Pershing Square for its 19th winter run. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16.
7. Winter Fest, the O.C. winter wonderland, is back from Dec. 16 through Jan. 1. This year’s holiday festival features a festival of lights, snow summit, outdoor ice skating, ice tubing, snowfall and the man of the hour, Santa Claus. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski takes his Christmas decorating very seriously. Ziemkowski’s Lights on Display is a beloved local tradition worth driving to. Starts nightly at 5 p.m. through the start of the new year. FREE
9. The Lincoln Center Theater production of The King and I comes to the Hollywood Pantages. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Little Dom’s 4th Annual Ugly Sweater Party is back this year. The shindig includes prizes, fun and lots of folks wearing “festive” sweaters.
12. The Rink in Downtown Burbank invites you to ice skate in a winter wonderland. Perfect for a date or family night, the festive outdoor rink is located right next to hundreds of shops and restaurants. Happening all week and weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Runway Playa Vista presents Music Mondays a free weekly concert and music series. This week they are hosting a Salsa Silent Disco. FREE
Tuesday December 20th, 2016
14. Deck the Hall: Holiday Concerts at Walt Disney Concert Hall will host a selection of holiday concerts from Tuesday through Friday featuring performances like “A Chanticleer Christmas” to a sing-along screening of the beloved classic film White Christmas. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. The Four Seasons Hotel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills—in partnership with Lionsgate Films will present a very special Dinner & a Movie, featuring a prix-fixe menu for two ($89) at Culina and an intimate showing of “LA LA LAND” inside the property’s private screening room. For reservations and more info. check the link here.
16. POP! the east side comedy show is back with a hilarious Christmas special featuring talented comedians, free tamales and booze! Tickets are $5 at the door.
17. Wirtshaus German Restaurant will host a German Beer Class & Food Tasting with local beer expert Dennis Hartman. Tickets run $29.95 a person.
18. The Lincoln presents “For the Record,” a weekly series where guests bring in their own vinyl for a unique DJ set from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. This week’s theme is JAPANESE CITY POP! with DJ Panamajack. FREE
19. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Los Angeles County Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden and Descanso Gardens.
Wednesday December 21st, 2016
20. Enjoy complementary mixology classes, beer and wine seminars and tastings during Liquid Intelligence at The Mixing Room. Wednesday’s theme is titled: Angel City Brewery’s Spiced Baltic Porter. FREE
21. American Cinematheque will screen White Christmas at The Aero Theatre in Santa Monica. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. High Spirits Holiday Wine Tasting & Comedy Show features stand up comics and Patrick Ney (a comedian and Sommelier!!) will play host.
23. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Wednesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Thursday December 22nd, 2016
24. Tiki No presents Locals Appreciation Night featuring an open bar of specialty holiday cocktails from 9 to 10 p.m. a food truck and happy hour from 5 to 7 p.m.
25. See your favorite disney characters come to life during Disney On Ice! Great for kids and Disney fans, the show has just about everyone, from Buzz Lightyear to Ariel to even the Cars gang. Happening Thursday and throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour this Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Trading Places this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Free admission days this Thursday for: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.) MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.) Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday December 23rd, 2016
30. Kick off your Christmas weekend with a “festive” double-feature at The Aero Theatre in Santa Monica: Die Hard & Lethal Weapon. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Harry Potter Burlesque, Chamber of the Dirty Little Secrets will take the stage at Harvelle’s in Long Beach this Friday. Tickets to the show are $12, and no one under 21 is allowed.
32. Union Station’s south patio will provide some holiday entertainment with “Coco Concerts” held beneath the stations towering Christmas tree. The family-friendly celebration will feature A Very Salsa Christmas with La Picante. FREE
33. On Fridays Royce’s Arcade Warehouse hosts ‘Threeplay Fridays’ from 4 to 7 p.m. For $3 you get three hours of unlimited play of games such as Donkey Kong, Street Fighter 2, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and many more.
34. Free admission days this Friday for: Long Beach Museum of Art and Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]