Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Sep. 19 to Friday, Sep. 23, features Knott’s Scary Farm, The Feast of San Gennaro, Music Tastes Good in Long Beach, Sleepless at The Music Center, the Taste of Pasadena at The Rose Bowl, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday September 19th, 2016
1. Alcove hosts a free movie screening under the stars with themed food and drinks to match the films! The final screening will take place Monday with Bring It On. FREE
2. Come to The Victorian in Santa Monica for the monthly Basement Comedy Show, featuring this month’s special guest David Koechner (Anchorman). FREE
3. Rooftop Cinema Club features three screenings this week: Finding Neverland on Monday, Dirty Dancing on Tuesday, The Dark Knight on Wednesday, Day for Night on Thursday and The Goonies on 4riday.
4. The Improvised Shakespeare Company is back at Largo for two performances, this Monday and Tuesday at 8 p.m.
5. The International Documentary Association will host several free screenings of some of the year’s best documentary films. Monday will screen the Audrie & Daisey and continues with The Witnees, Maya Angelou: And Still I Rise and Amanda Knox for the rest of the week at The Landmark theater. FREE
6. Check out Magic Monday at the Santa Monica Playhouse.
Tuesday September 20th, 2016
7. The Moth storytelling event at Los Globos. Tuesday’s theme: Authority Figures.
8. Special free admission for Tuesday at Descanso Gardens, Los Angeles County Arboretum, South Coast Botanic Garden, Natural History Museum, and Page Museum at La Brea Tarpits.
9. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
10. Friends With Benefits at the Ace Hotel Upstairs offers a weekly, totally unique, one-time only menu created by a guest curator. This week features Aaron Melendrez (Beverage Director, Salazar Frogtown; The Bon Vivants) as your host/creator.
11. The Natural History Museum’s newly designed outdoor Butterfly Pavilion exhibit is back! The permanent structure will feature over 25 species of butterflies housing hundreds of them for your viewing pleasure.
Wednesday September 21st, 2016
12. Get your eat and drink on at the Rose Bowl during the Taste of Pasadena, featuring restaurants, caterers and finalist from the SIP-tember Cocktail Challenge.
13. The L.A. County Fair continues at the Fairplex this week, running Wednesday through Sunday until Sept. 25. Be sure to check for discount tickets on select dates from Goldstar, while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. For three straight nights starting this Wednesday the Odyssey Theatre will be offering free preview performances of A Taste of Honey.
15. The Wonder Room brings together dance, art, and nature at Tongva Park in Santa Monica where guests are allowed to explore “rooms” featuring performing various artists. FREE
16. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen The Breakfast Club. FREE
17. The Makers: Portraits of Metro artists whose work enriches the rider’s journey at the Union Station old ticketing hall. FREE
18. Every third Wednesday of the month is Web Series Unplugged at El Cid.
Thursday September 22nd, 2016
19. Knott’s Scary Farm is back starting this Thursday with 13 haunted attractions, four new mazes, a thousand monsters and, for the first time ever, standalone Skeleton Room Keys. Don’t miss out on the laser gun fight with zombies! Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. Rap Legend Biz Markie Hosts an ‘80s vs. ’90s Dance Party: Decades Collide at Belasco Theater. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. CreepLA returns Sept. 15 – Oct. 31, promising a bigger and scarier time where the lines of reality and performance art are blurred into your worst nightmare. Tickets available Thursday through the weekend.
22. Spend a evening with wine and a classic film screened outdoors at the beautiful Malibu Wines on select nights in September. The screenings are free! This week it’s Six Teen Candles on Thursday. FREE
23. The Getty Villa’s fall outdoor theater production is back! Haunted House Party, a comedy based Plautus’s Mostellaria, will be performed every Thursday-Saturday through Oct. 1. Be sure to grab discount tickets for select performances via our friends at Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Will Geer’s Theatricum “Under the Oaks” is outdoor music series occurring every Thursday in September featuring prominent local and unique bands, artists and entertainers. This week spend an evening with Multi-instrumentalists Many Distant Cities.
25. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Star Trek II The Search For Spock this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. Get discounts on The Alchemist’s Lab Escape Room Experience for both this Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. After Party @ The Wallis, a new ticket access and post-show party program, launches this Thursday.
28. SoFar Sounds is coming to One Colorado in Pasadena every Thursday for a night of free live music. Line up to be revealed on the night of the show. FREE
29. Tart will host Don’t Be a Drag a new weekly, live music event every Thursday featuring cocktail specials and performances from local drag queen Lady Red Couture. FREE
30. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen, Skirball Cultural Center, Long Beach Museum of Art, and Japanese American National Museum.
Friday September 23rd, 2016
31. Sleepless: After Hours at the Music Center is back this Friday for late-night party featuring DJs, light installations, classic arcade games, cocktails, small bites, and more. Keep in mind you could win a pair of free tickets to Sleepless just by commenting on this Instagram post.
32. Music Tastes Good in Long Beach (Sept. 23-25) is a brand new, three-day music and food fest presented by KCRW featuring Warpaint, Dr. Dog, Iron & Wine and special food experiences like a farm to table dinner and Bloody Mary brunch.
33. Celebrate Italian culture at the Feast of San Gennaro (Sept. 23-25) with music, games and most importantly, food.
34. The Los Angeles Podcasting Festival (Sept. 23-25) returns with a three-day event featuring industry panels, parties, a podcasting lab, and a special stand-up comedy show.
35. Redondo Beach Lobster Festival (Sept. 23-25) is a three-day celebration of all things lobster with food, music and fun in the sun. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Luckyrice will celebrate the Moon Festival with one extravagant cocktail party. Taking place at the Alexandria Ballroom in Downtown showcasing some of L.A.’s best bar programs and Bombay Sapphire East Gin.
37. Oktoberfest in Alpine Village starts Sept. 9! Enjoy traditional Bavarian fun, food, and beer at the oldest running Oktoberfest celebration in Southern California at Alpine Village in Torrance. Festivities continue all the way until Oct. 29.
38. Diavolo: Architecture in Motion at The Broad Stage in Santa Monica. Performances Friday through Sunday.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].