Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Jan. 6 to Jan. 8) includes All Space Considered, First Fridays, the Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention, a No Pants Metro Ride, the LA Chocolate Festival, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday January 6th, 2017
1. This Friday Griffith Observatory kicks off their 2017 edition of All Space Considered with a 2016 year-in-review, a tribute to John Glenn, and a special book signing with Dr. David Grinspoon, a Senior Scientist at the Planetary Science Institute.
2. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
3. Every Friday of January, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Prohibition Cocktails.
4. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood this weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Get nocturnal at the Aquarium of the Pacific after hours. See ocean jellies light up, touch a shark and observe a variety of fascinating sea creatures. The entire aquarium is open and discount tickets can be found for Jan 3 through 6. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Oh Man! Ramen will exclusively debut their dinner menu through chef driven incubator Feastly this Friday. The six course meal cost $50 a person.
7. Spend a day at the races with the Farriers Package at Santa Anita Race Tracks. The package includes admission to the races, box seating and a racing program, along with a pint of local craft beer. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. LA Zoo Lights is an after-hours event showcasing animal-themed LEDs, lasers, 3D projections, and animated displays throughout the zoo. Check for discounted tickets all weekend before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. The Rink in Downtown Burbank invites you to ice skate in a winter wonderland. Perfect for a date or family night, the festive outdoor rink is located right next to hundreds of shops and restaurants. Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens will offer visitors a colorful one-mile path route through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden. Happening now through Jan. 8. Check for Discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE On hold until January 11 due to inclement weather.
12. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story screens at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. Check out production props, models, costumes and more. There will also be a Stormtrooper meet-and-greet before the movie! Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Satellite Nights presents Purple Friday, a Prince Dance Night with Micah James. FREE
14. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. The Queen Mary’s signature winter attraction, CHILL, returns with a holiday theme of Alice in Winterland, promising an interactive and immersive experiences for the whole family to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets this weekend before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. Amélie the Oscar-nominated French film is now a new musical. The pre-Broadway production is taking place at the Ahmanson all weekend. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Free admission days this Friday for: Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Pasadena Museum of California Art (noon to 5 pm), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 – 8 p.m.) FREE
Saturday January 7th, 2017
18. Free Open House & Workshops return to Second City Hollywood this Saturday. Join one of the many workshops offered or see a couple of shows on the house. This event is open to all ages. FREE
19. The Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention is back, and celebrating its 40th anniversary. Hosted at The Reef in DTLA Saturday and Sunday, this popular event will house exhibits, special guests and collectibles galore.
20. L.A. artist and muralist Erin Adams opens Brainworks Gallery in Mid City showcasing emerging artists. The first reception is for mixed media artist Thomas Adams showcasing his work titled The Southern California Suburb Project.
21. Joe Rogan, Nikki Glaser and more will be doing stand-up at L.A.’s legendary Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Join BuzzFeed and Amazon Prime Video for a magical family screening event to celebrate the second season of the Amazon Original Just Add Magic. In addition to the screening, there will be treats, a DIY station, delicious mocktails and photo booths. All ages are welcome but a parent or guardian must register for the party. RSVP here. FREE
23. The 5th Annual Southern California Pet Expo is a free all-ages event taking place at the Fairplex in Pomona. Happening Saturday and Sunday, guests are allowed to bring their pets (with proof of vaccination) to experience demos, free grooming, training sessions, and more! FREE
24. Brooklyn-born craft market Artists & Fleas will be in the Arts District of DTLA this weekend and will feature locally made art, fashion, vintage and beyond.
25. CAN I KICK IT? invites fans of hip hop to be part of a hilarious new take on an old school tradition of watching music videos with buds. Expect a panel of entertainers to give comedic commentary to some of your favorite rap videos from the 70’s-90’s. Happening at the NerdMelt. Tickets cost $8 in advance and $10 at the door.
26. TheFitExpo will take place at the L.A. Convention Center providing an array of work out programs, competitions and a healthy eating & living pavilion.
27. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Saturday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Sunday January 8th, 2017
28. The city of Pasadena will host Cheeseburger Week with 40 restaurants in participation offering burger specials all over the city from Jan. 8 to Jan 13.
29. Ready to join hundreds of fellow angelenos in an annual excursion to ride our city’s public transit system… sans pants? It’s called No Pants Metro Ride and your Sunday afternoon just got a lot more interesting…
30. The LA Chocolate Festival & Pastry Show comes to the Omni Hotel in DTLA this Sunday. Some of the best chocolatiers and pastry chefs in Los Angeles will offer confectionery treats to be paired with the world’s top champagnes, wines and spirits. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Ring in the Year of the Rooster at The Japanese American National Museum’s annual Oshogatsu Family Festival happening this Sunday. FREE
32. Esotouric tours is celebrating their tenth anniversary with a couple of special events around town. The first special event takes place this Sunday with a 1950s Googie architectural celebration at Downey’s restored Bob’s Big Boy drive-in. There will be special guest speakers, informal walking tours, and memories shared from longtime patrons, preservation activists and historians. FREE
33. The Aqualillies will lead a fun and creative synchronized swim class at the Annenberg Community Beach House where you’ll learn back layouts, ballet legs, torpedoes and more! The class cost $37 a person and comes with parking and hot chocolate.
34. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16. On Sunday they will host a special curling pop up from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Tickets cost $5.
35. The Amazing Los Angeles Race II is part scavenger hunt, part sightseeing tour. Spend your Sunday afternoon getting to know the city of angels by making your way through iconic L.A. sites while solving puzzles – it’s an active and fast pace way to visit all tourists areas on your bucket list. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Interested in drinking beer and eating cheese for five whole hours? Here’s your chance! The Cheese and Beer Hop is back and will take place in South L.A. featuring three breweries (Three Weavers, Monkish and Smog City) with cheese and beer flights just for you. Tickets cost $80 a person.
37. Downtown’s chillest, monthly community brunch party is back for 2017. DTLA First Sundays (yes, they know it’s the second Sunday of the year) is hitting The Bunker Hill Bar & Grill this Sunday starting at 10 a.m.. If you’re looking to meet some quality locals in the downtown area, and get your grub on in the process, this is your jam.
38. The Annenberg Community Beach House is hosting a free beach walk to observe the Snowy Plover bird. The walk will be led by the Audubon Society from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. Binoculars will be provided but you can bring your own if you wish. RSVP here. FREE
39. Held on the second Sunday of each month the Rose Bowl Flea Market has everything you can imagine from vintage tees, unique vintage jewelry and furniture you’ll find yourself browsing for hours.
40. Free admission days this Sunday for: Museum of Latin American Art, Pacific Asia Museum and pay what you can at the Craft and Folk Art Museum. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].