October is National Seafood Month so celebrate by slurping down some sweet, juicy oysters this weekend!
Happening this Saturday and Sunday, October 24 and 25, from 11:00am to 6:00pm the special pop-up will bring together oyster farmers from across the country. Market visitors will be able to taste their way through oyster varieties for just $2 a piece!
Participating farms include:
- Hama Hama from Washington State: the oldest oyster farm on the West Coast (active since 1922)
- Sol Azul Seafarms based in Baja California: in operation within the El Vizcaino Biosphere Reserve (a UNESCO World Heritage Site)
- Grassy Bar Oysters from Morro Bay, Central California (active since 2009)
- Morro Bay Oyster Company “Pacific Gold” oysters from oyster farmer Neal Maloney
- Rock Harbor Oysters from a small family farm in Cape Cod, Massachusetts
The two day event will also include free, hands-on Oyster Shucking 101 workshops, informal conversations with Happillon and guests covering topics such as “merroir,” sustainability of oyster aquaculture and how to properly select and handle an oyster.
The Oyster Gourmet will be selling an assortment of French wines to pair with oysters all weekend, as well as items from their regular menu.
Date: October 24th and 25th
Time: 11:00am – 6:00pm
Location: The Oyster Gourmet at Grand Central Market 317 S. Broadway Los Angeles, CA 90013