Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Tuesday, May 30 to Friday, June 2, features Prom Night at the Museum of Broken Relationships, the Venice Pride Block Party, the Pancake & Booze Art Show, the kickoff of Grand Performances 2017, First Fridays, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Tuesday May 30th, 2017
1. Band Aid, a new film starring Zoe Lister-Jones, Adam Pally, and Fred Armisen, will screen for free at the Theatre at Ace Hotel on Tuesday at 8 p.m. A jam session with all three starring cast members will follow the screening. RSVP required. FREE
2. Björk Digital is a groundbreaking virtual reality collection of videos, featuring music from Björk’s latest album, Vulnicura, to be shown at Magic Box at The Reef in Downtown L.A. starting on May 19.
3. Food Truck Night at The California Heritage Museum takes place every Tuesday with trucks vary from week to week. Guests are welcome to bring blankets and hang out on the lawn of the museum while they dine..
4. Fin to Fin: Zero Waste Cooking Workshop will teach guests how to prepare a creative, delicious and balanced meal without throwing anything away. Presented by Crafted Kitchen.
5. The Protomen present Light Up the Night at Echoplex followed by a Q&A.
6. How to Kill a City: Gentrification in L.A. and Beyond at the Last Bookstore. FREE
7. Drinky Draw, a life drawing and beer event, comes to Wurstküche in Venice at 8 p.m. on Tuesday.
Wednesday May 31st, 2017
8. City officials and local leaders will kick off the seventh annual LGBT Heritage Month in the City of Los Angeles with a reception and special Council presentation at City Hall on Wednesday, May 31 starting at 8:30 a.m. FREE
9. Dead & Company, a band consisting of former Grateful Dead members Bob Weir, Mickey Hart, and Bill Kreutzmann, along with John Mayer, Oteil Burbridge, and Jeff Chimenti, comes to the Hollywood Bowl this Wednesday and Thursday evenings.
10. The Downtown Independent is hosting a Smash Brothers 4 Tournament this Wednesday night. $10 if you want to compete Spectators get in free.
Thursday June 1st, 2017
11. On Thursday, June 1 The Museum of Broken Relationships and the folks at We Like L.A. (hey that’s us!) are co-hosting a Prom Do-Over that’s going to take you back in time to party like it’s 1999 (and you won’t even need a DeLorean)
12. Stop by Golden Road Brewery on Thursday for a free evening of lawn games, home-brew seminars, live music & a screening of the new Beerland docu-series. FREE
13. Time Out L.A.’s Tacos & Tequila comes to Candela La Brea for a night of taco samples, craft cocktails, photo ops and fun.
14. Get discount tickets to the Actor’s Gang performances of The Refugee Project in Culver City. Discounts available for Thursday, Friday, and, Saturday, while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Giant Robot Comedy Night brings a free stand-up show to the GR2 Art Gallery on Sawtelle Blvd on the first Thursday of every month.
16. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged) tackles 37 of The Bard’s plays in 97 rip-roaring minutes. Now playing at the MET Theatre. Discounted tickets available for this Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Friday June 2nd, 2017
17. The Pancakes & Booze Art Show returns to Los Angeles at LOT 613 for two nights of maple syrup-infused debauchery.
18. The Interactive, Immersive and Innovative Public Arts Festival hosts over 30 artists, allowing them to engage and exhibit their most imaginative works. The festival will take place at three separate locations throughout DTLA, including the launch of Grand Performances for 2017 featuring William Close and the Earth Harp Collective.
19. The Pasadena Museum of Art will celebrate their 15th birthday with a special extended Free First Friday. Events to include six different talks spotlighting artists like Kenny Scharf, tasty baked goods, wine and beer, music from the Astral Plane DJ team, Red Hen Press book readings and musical performances by Tim Reid.
20. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
21. The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
22. Grab discount tickets to this weekend’s LA Audio Show, a convention focusing on the latest and greatest in audio gear and accessories, taking place at the Gateway Sheraton Hotel. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. This Friday will be the 2nd Annual Venice Pride Sign Lighting & Block Party. The night’s celebration will include DJs, dancing, food trucks, art exhibitions, and more. Free and open to the public. FREE
24. Friday is National Donut Day! To celebrate Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants throughout the Los Angeles area will be offering a free classic donut with the purchase of any beverage. Enjoy!
25. A new exhibition entitled Sanctuary opens this Friday night at the Little Tokyo Arts Complex. The opening night exhibition/performance will be followed by a DJ set by Shephard Fairey. FREE
26. Great Horror Movie Nights at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park continue with a screening of Carrie this Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]