You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 10, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] The world’s largest Korean culture convention KCON stops in Los Angeles from August 10 to 12 for a celebration of music, Korean pop culture, workshops, meet-and-greets, and more.
2. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
3. [4 p.m.] The 626 Night Market is back for its seventh season at Santa Anita Park. Happening again August 10 to 12, the event features over 250 vendors selling crafts, merchandise, art, music and a massive selection of food from local restaurants, food trucks and more.
4. [5 p.m.] Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum this weekend. Sip garden-inspired cocktails, listen to live music, take garden tours and more. FREE
5. [5 p.m.] In conjunction with NHM’s Summer Nights in the Garden, California African American Museum will host Summer Night Extended Hours this Friday from 5 to 7 p.m. FREE
6. [5:30] KCRW Summer Nights takes over Union Station with KCRW DJs Raul Campos and Anthony Valadez. FREE
7. [5:30 p.m.] ICA LA will host a happy hour tour of Norm Laich’s current exhibit This Brush for Hire, led by Laich himself. The tour will be followed by light refreshments and a pop-up shop by Mandujano Cell. FREE
8. [6 p.m.] The 4th annual free Summer of Salsa concert series happening at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes will host some of the city’s best salsa and Cuban bands one Friday evening each month now through September. This month the The Arsenio Rodriguez Project will heat up the dance floor. FREE
9. [6:30 p.m.] Enjoy a vintage-style summer evening watching a drive-in movie during San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights at the Lake Balboa Complex. Each evening will offer food trucks, a 26-player arcade game truck, laser tag, silent disco headphone party and family board games all included in your ticket price. Continuing the series is a screening of Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure on Friday and Selena on Saturday.
10. [8 p.m.] Star Wars A New Hope will be screened at the Hollywood Bowl, with a live accompaniment by the Los Angeles Philharmonic this Friday.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $35 tix to Florence and The Machine at the Hollywood Bowl (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.