A new exhibition at LACMA. Free jazz at Union Station. Festival of Books day two. A family friendly affair at LA Plaza. It’s all part of your Sunday in Los Angeles.
Below you’ll find our top three picks for today (April 24) followed by a bullet list of seven other quick ideas to consider. Enjoy.
Things To Do For Sunday
Lee Alexander McQueen: Mind, Mythos, Muse -> The first west coast display of the iconic fashion designer’s works heads to LACMA starting on Sunday, April 24. Mind, Mythos, Muse will examine the the McQueen’s artistic legacy through a display of garments from the Collection of Regina J. Drucker alongside artworks from LACMA’s permanent collection. Runs through Oct. 9. More info here.
Día de los Niños -> Today at LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes hosts a free afternoon of family-friendly programming highlighted by arts, culinary, and garden demonstrations (including one on the history of comic books!), plus ballet folklorico provided by Las Palmas Grupo Folklorico, Mexico Aztec Grupo Folklorico and Ballet Folklorico Xochipil. Runs from noon to 4 p.m. More info here.
Santa Monica Mountains Visitor Center Art Show -> Today at the Santa Monica Mountains Visitor Center at King Gillette Ranch, 20 local artists associated with the Allied Artists of the Santa Monica Mountains will showcase their works in a group art show, with portions of the proceeds to benefit the Western National Park Association, National Park Service, National Wildlife Fund and Save LA Cougars. Free to attend. Reception runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.More info here.
Seven More Things To Do in L.A. Today
- The L.A. Times Festival of Books continues for day two.
- Indie craft market Jackalope returns Central Park in Old Pasadena this Saturday and Sunday with a pop-up marketplace of over 200 vendors.
- The LA Phil’s Gen X Festival continues today with a performance of performance of John Corigliano’s landmark work Symphony No. 1 paired with music by Andrew Norman and Jonathan Bailey Holland.
- On select Sunday, the South Coast Botanic Garden allows you to bring your four-legged friend in for dog walking hours.
- Ukrainian quartet DakhaBrakha comes to the Theatre at Ace Hotel this Sunday for a performance that fuses old Ukrainian folk styles with cabaret, jazz, and hip-hop.
- This Sunday, the Dynasty Typewriter hosts Adult Sex Ed, a comedy show hosted/created by Dani Faith Leonard that weaves historical segments, storytelling, and deep dives and into a highly informative (and hopefully provocative) evening.
- Today at 2 p.m., Metro Arts and KJAZZ team up for another installment of Jazz Tracks at Union Station, a free afternoon concert set in two historic patios.
Do you read the We Like L.A. newsletter? Every Monday and Thursday we send the best things to do in Los Angeles straight to your inbox! Sign-up here