Now in its 10th season, KCRW Summer Nights brings free, all-ages shows to some of the most iconic venues and cultural centers in Los Angeles, including dates for 2019 at Hammer Museum, the California African American Museum, the Santa Monica Pier, and in Chinatown. This year’s edition of Summer Nights kicks off on June 1 with a performance by Harriet Brown and KCRW DJ Garth Trinidad, then continues with performances (at least one per week) at various locations throughout SoCal through September 25.
One new aspect for 2019 is that KCRW Summer Nights has expanded its geographic reach with two new partnerships in Long Beach: A KCRW-hosted closing party for POW! WOW! Long Beach on July 27 and a collaboration with the Long Beach Buskerfest on September 7.
Another noteworthy change for the 2019 schedule is that the Twilight on the Pier series has been moved up in start date to August 21, several weeks earlier than in 2018.
The 2018 edition of the pier concerts had pushed back its schedule, in part due to community concerns about congestion and safety that threatened cancellation of the series, according to LA Magazine. A headlining performance by Khalid in 2017 drew an estimated 25,000 attendees to the Santa Monica Pier, which was roughly triple the average attendance from previous Twilight on the Pier events.
Ultimately the series returned for 2018 with some tweaks to the programming and changes to the schedule, but it looks like with the pier concerts getting moved back into late summer for this year, they’ve leveled off some of the previous concerns.
We’ve listed the complete schedule of KCRW Summer Nights dates for 2019 below, although you’ll note there’s an abundance of ‘Talent TBA’ placeholders. Be sure to check back to this post as we get into June (we’ll update it after more talent is announced), and in the mean time you can start blocking out a few dates for venues you might be interested in.
KCRW Summer Nights 2019 Schedule
(schedule updated as of July 1, 2019)
- Saturday, June 1, 7:30 p.m. at One Colorado – Harriet Brown + KCRW DJ Garth Trinidad
- Saturday, June 8, 8:00 p.m. in Chinatown – KCRW DJs Travis Holcombe + Novena Carmel
- Saturday, June 15, 7:30 p.m. at One Colorado – Girlpool + KCRW DJ Chris Douridas
- Friday, June 28, 7:00 p.m. at CAAM – KCRW DJs Garth Trinidad + Aaron Byrd
- Thursday, July 11, 6:30 p.m. (happy hour), 7:30 p.m. (concert) at Hammer – Pavo Pavo will grace the stage at 8:45pm, book-ended by KCRW DJs Anne Litt and Dan Wilcox
- Saturday, July 13, 8:00 p.m. in Chinatown – KCRW DJs Jason Bentley + Garth Trinidad
- Thursday, July 18, 6:30 p.m. (happy hour), 7:30 p.m. (concert ) at Hammer – Wild Belle will take the stage at 8:45pm, book-ended by KCRW DJs Scott Dallavo and Aaron Byrd at 7:30pm and 9:45pm
- Thursday, July 25, 6:30 p.m. (happy hour), 7:30 p.m. (concert) at Hammer – The Tracks hit the stage at 8:45pm, book-ended by KCRW DJs José Galván and Travis Holcombe at 7:30pm and 9:45pm
- Saturday, July 27, 7:00 p.m. at POW! WOW! Long Beach – KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez + Mathieu Schreyer
- Thursday, August 1, 7:00 p.m. at Santa Barbara Museum of Contemporary Art (MCASB) – KCRW DJ Dan Wilcox
- Saturday, August 3, 7:00 p.m. at KCRW HQ – Black Pumas with KCRW DJs Anne Litt and Raul
- Saturday, August 10, 7:00 p.m. at KCRW HQ – Y La Bamba with KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez and Valida
- Saturday, August 10, 8:00 p.m. in Chinatown – KCRW DJs Raul Campos + Mathieu Schreyer
- Saturday, August 17, 7:00 p.m. at KCRW HQ – Andrew Bird with KCRW DJs Chris Douridas and Novena Carmel
- Wednesday, August 21 at Santa Monica Pier – Rostam, Dijon & Jen Awad
- Wednesday, August 28 at Santa Monica Pier – Helado Negro, San Cha & Banda Las Angelinas
- Wednesday, September 4 at Santa Monica Pier – A-Wa, Disco Shrine & Los Angeles Arabs Orchestra
- Thursday, September 5, 7:00 p.m. at Santa Barbara Museum of Contemporary Art (MCASB) – KCRW DJ José Galván
- Saturday, September 7, 5:00 p.m. in Downtown Long Beach Buskerfest – KCRW’s Raul Campos, host
- Wednesday, September 11 at Santa Monica Pier – Hollie Cook, West Standard Time Ska Orchestra & Upstream
- Wednesday, September 18 at Santa Monica Pier – Methyl Ethel & TBD
- Wednesday, September 25 at Santa Monica Pier – Cornelius, StarRo & Taiko Project
For more information on this schedule and attending Summer Nights events, please visit summernights.kcrw.com.