Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Jan. 2 to Friday, Jan. 6, features a post-parade float showcase, the Improvised Shakespeare Company, Greebar Distillery cocktail classes, free museum days, All Space Considered, First Fridays, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday January 2nd, 2017
1. The 128th annual Rose Parade returned to Pasadena this morning. If you missed it, don’t worry because the public is invited to the Post-Parade Float Showcase where they can view the floats up close. Tickets cost $13 a person, and the showcase will be on view Monday and Tuesday of this week.
2. Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens will offer visitors a colorful one-mile path route through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden. Happening now through Jan. 8. Check for Discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. The Rink in Downtown Burbank invites you to ice skate in a winter wonderland. Perfect for a date or family night, the festive outdoor rink is located right next to hundreds of shops and restaurants. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Karl Hess and Nick Rutherford hosts That’s Gold, a free comedy show at the Bootleg Theater. FREE
6. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16.
7. Soul Nite at the Ace Hotel Upstairs Bar offers resident Beyondadoub spinning vinyl tunes all night long. FREE
Tuesday January 3rd, 2017
8. The Improvised Shakespeare Company is back at Largo for two performances this Tuesday and Wednesday. Shows begin at 8 p.m. on both nights.
9. Get nocturnal at the Aquarium of the Pacific after hours. See ocean jellies light up, touch a shark and observe a variety of fascinating sea creatures. The entire aquarium is open and discount tickets can be found for Jan 3 through 6. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story screens at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. Check out production props, models, costumes and more. There will also be a Stormtrooper meet-and-greet before the movie! Happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. 90s Game Night at Rivalry hosted by Be Kind Rewind. Come for happy hour, 90s board games and trivia! Participation is free.
12. Amélie the Oscar-nominated French film is now a new musical. The pre-Broadway production is taking place at the Ahmanson all week. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. The Lincoln presents “For the Record,” a weekly series where guests bring in their own vinyl for a unique DJ set from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. This week’s theme is Afrofunk with DJ Panamajack . FREE
15. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.), Natural History Museum and Page Museum at La Brea Tar Pits.
Wednesday January 4th, 2017
16. Step into Angel City Brewery in DTLA this Wednesday for Karaoke Night with KJ Beerbra Streisand. Fun happens from 7 to 9 p.m. FREE
17. The Lincoln Center Theater production of The King and I comes to the Hollywood Pantages. Happening Wednesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Wednesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. The Pasadena Museum of California Art is currently having a special on admission through Goldstar where tickets are complementary with a $3 service fee (tickets usually cost $7 a person.) See current exhibits by Llyod Hamrol, Joan Perlman and a 90 painting show on California coast culture titled: In the Land of Sunshine. The promo runs throughout the week and weekend for the next few weeks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Thursday January 5th, 2017
20. Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones is playing at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood Thursday and Friday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Throwback Thursdays at NoHo cinema screens Back to the Future this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. The Queen Mary’s signature winter attraction, CHILL, returns with a holiday theme of Alice in Winterland, promising an interactive and immersive experiences for the whole family to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets this week before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Drag Queen Bingo takes place every first and third Thursday of the month during Grand Central Market game night! FREE
25. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen, Skirball Cultural Center, Japanese American National Museum and Long Beach Museum of Art.
Friday January 6th, 2017
26. This Friday Griffith Observatory kicks off their 2017 edition of All Space Considered with a 2016 year-in-review, a tribute to John Glenn, and a special book signing with Dr. David Grinspoon, a Senior Scientist at the Planetary Science Institute.
27. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
28. Every Friday of January, Greenbar Distillery in Downtown Los Angeles will host cocktail classes featuring seasonal and themed drinks. This weeks theme is Prohibition Cocktails.
29. Want to get to know the DTLA food scene? Take a three-hour walking/eating tour! Grab a bite at some of the best bakeries, ethnic gems and culinary hot spots. The walking adventure will also touch on stories of the early Downtown settlers, architecture and more. Happening Friday and Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
31. Satellite Nights presents Purple Friday, a Prince Dance Night with Micah James. FREE
32. Free admission days this Friday for: Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Pasadena Museum of California Art (noon to 5 pm), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 – 8 p.m.) FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.