Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, Dec. 5 to Friday, Dec. 9, features a Will Ferrell-themed bar, dollar drinks for National Repeal Day, the DTLA Art Walk, the LA Short Film Fest, a Leonard Cohen listening party, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday December 5th, 2016
1. Dec. 5 is the 83rd anniversary of National Repeal Day, and to celebrate the folks at the 1933 group will be offering dollar cocktails over a two-hour timeframe at nine Los Angeles bars. Cheers to that!
2. A Will Ferrell themed pop-up bar lands at the TCL Chinese 6 Theatres today! Stay Classy Bar will be open from Dec. 5-15 and features themed drinks and decor plus Elf and Anchorman-themed dance parties.
3. Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens will offer visitors a colorful one-mile path route through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden. Happening now through Jan. 8. Check for Discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. The Contenders film series continues at The Hammer Museum. Curated by The Museum of Modern Art the films selected are new films believed to stand the test of time in influence. This week they will screen Manchester by the Sea, Jackie, Arrival and Lion.
5. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski takes his Christmas decorating very seriously. Ziemkowski’s Lights on Display is a beloved local tradition worth driving to. Starts nightly at 5 p.m. through the start of the new year. FREE
6. Largest outdoor ice skating rink returns to Pershing Square for its 19th winter run. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16.
7. Hot Tub With Kurt & Kristen at The Virgil. The Dec. 5 lineup features Mo Welch as the special guest host with Dave Hill, Janelle James, Moshe Kasher Matt McCarthy, Eli Olsberg and Devon Walker.
8. LA Zoo Lights is back! Now in its third year, the after-hours event showcases animal-themed LEDs, lasers, 3D projections, and animated displays throughout the zoo. Happening all week. Check for discounted tickets all week before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. Museum of Broken Relationships will conclude their Fall Lecture Series with Author Liza Monroy.
10. Runway Playa Vista presents Music Mondays a free weekly concert and music series. This week they are hosting an Old-Timey Holiday Party. FREE
Tuesday December 6th, 2016
11. Take in a few laughs for the week at Cool Beans Comedy First Tuesdays at the E Spot Lounge in Studio City. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
12. Tune up that DeLorean, and head to the Rockwell Table & Stage for Rack To The Future: A Burlesque Parody.
13. The Lincoln presents “For the Record,” a weekly series where guests bring in their own vinyl for a unique DJ set from 7 p.m. to 2 a.m. This week’s theme is Disco. FREE
14. The City of San Gabriel will kick off the holiday season this Tuesday with the 40th Annual Holiday Tree Lighting celebration, beginning at 6 p.m. in Plaza Park, 428 S Mission Drive. FREE
15. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Kidspace Children’s Museum (from 4 to 8 p.m.), Natural History Museum and Page Museum at La Brea Tar Pits.
Wednesday December 7th, 2016
16. Enjoy complementary mixology classes, beer and wine seminars and tastings during Liquid Intelligence at The Mixing Room. Wednesday’s theme is Vermouth: The Ultimate Holiday Cocktail Builder. FREE
17. The LA Short Film Festival is a free movie event showcasing the best of short films from the US happening at L.A. LIVE Regal Cinemas this Wednesday. FREE
18. The NASA’s Pavilion sound experience is now of view at The Huntington Library. A “soundscape” experience that represents the movement of the International Space Station and 19 Earth Science satellites the shell like sculpture emits sounds each interpreting one of the satellites’ missions. Open to the public till Feb. 27, 2017.
Thursday December 8th, 2016
20. Head to the biggest art walk in our city! The DTLA Art Walk will also present a Small Works Holiday Show in collaboration with local art spaces Howard Griffin Gallery, Sugar Press, and REN Gallery. FREE
21. The Queen Mary’s signature winter attraction, CHILL, returns this Thursday with a holiday theme of Alice in Winterland, promising an interactive and immersive experiences for the whole family to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets all weekend before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. This Thursday-Friday you can get discount tickets to Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones now playing at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. The LA Kings are back for NHL season at STAPLES Center. Watch the fast paced game versus the Carolina Hurricanes. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. The Music Center in partnership with Hal Wilner will present a listening party to celebrate the music of the late Leonard Cohen. Happening from 5 to 9 p.m. FREE
25. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens Die Hard this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
26. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Celebrate the 20th anniversary of SCREAM with a screening, free beer and a Q & A with David Arquette at the TLC Chinese Theatre.
28. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weeken. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Escape Room LA The Alchemist has you locked in a room forced to uncover the hidden power of the Philosopher’s Stone in order to escape from the mad Alchemist. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. Free admission days this Thursday for: MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen, Skirball Cultural Center, Japanese American National Museum and Long Beach Museum of Art.
Friday December 9th, 2016
31. On Fridays Royce’s Arcade Warehouse hosts ‘Threeplay Fridays’ from 4 to 7 p.m. For $3 you get three hours of unlimited play of games such as Donkey Kong, Street Fighter 2, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and many more.
32. Union Station’s south patio will provide some holiday entertainment with “Coco Concerts” held beneath the stations towering Christmas tree. The family-friendly celebration will feature a free concert, a “Cocoa Bar” with Elftenders, an “Ugly Christmas Sweater” contest, holiday crafts and cookie decorating, a Naughty & Nice photo booth and Santa. FREE
33. Benjamin Millepied and L.A. Dance Project return to Los Angeles for a two-night performance at The Theatre at Ace Hotel. The show will include the world premiere of “Homecoming,” with music composed and performed live by Rufus Wainwright. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. Esquire presents a special screening of Furious 7 inside the Meyer Gallery at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Refreshments and popcorn will be provided.
36. The Groundlings Holiday Show pokes fun at the holidays with all-new sketches and some improvisation.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].