You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Saturday, January 18, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8:30 a.m.] The Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area will host two MLK Day of Service events to restore parts of Franklin Canyon and the Rancho Sierra Vista/ Satwiwa. FREE
2. [9 a.m.] The Fourth Annual Women’s March Los Angeles returns to Pershing Square in Downtown L.A. on January 18 for an opportunity to stand up and let your voices be heard! Like the years before, expect special keynote speakers and performers at the march.
3. [10 a.m.] Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day with a service and community event at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza. In honor of the beloved civil rights figure, Baldwin Hills will host a day of giving back with a variety of free services for individuals and families. FREE
4. [10 a.m.] The Asian American Expo returns to the Fairplex in Pomona on January 18-19 for two days of celebrating the Lunar New Year through food, art, and an immersive cultural experience.
5. [10 a.m.] Fusing the world of anime and video games, Anime Impulse will feature celebrity appearances, esports, artist alleys, Kawaii fashion, and cosplay, all at the Fairplex in Pomona. Happening January 18 and 19.
6. [noon] The Third Annual Riverfest hosted by Mohawk Bend will support Friends of the Los Angeles River (FOLAR) by tapping over 20 beers (including Kern River Brewing, Russian River Brewing, and Dry River Brewery) while throwing a fun party giving the proceeds to FOLAR.
7. [3 p.m.] Hollywood Performance Marathon returns for the twenty-fifth year for an all-day-all-night event featuring dozens of performers and an eclectic mix of performances including comedy, dance, music and monologues. The event starts at 3 p.m. and ends “the sun comes up.” The event takes place at Theatre of NOTE.
8. [7 p.m.] The Skirball will host a Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration Concert featuring the Inner City Youth Orchestra of Los Angeles and their Community Chorus. The performance will include uplifting numbers, like an orchestral and choral version of Dr. King’s 1963 speech “I Have a Dream.” The performance is free with an rsvp and admission to the museum.
9. [8 p.m.] Dance The Odyssey Theatre celebrates the art form of dance this weekend with performances by Tethering Dance Company.
10. [various] dineL.A. returns Jan. 17-31 for two weeks of exclusive lunch and dinner menus at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Samskara Immersive Art Experience at Wisdome LA*(via Goldstar)