You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for Thursday, January 4, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] Get into the winter spirit when ICE at Santa Monica returns with a 8,000 square foot ice skating rink. Running November 1, 2017 through January 5, 2018.
2. [2 p.m.] Winter Fest Returns to OC Fairgrounds (Dec. 21 to Jan. 7) will offer an all-new festival of lights, snow summit, winter bounce houses, outdoor ice skating, ice tubing, snowfall and the man of the season, Santa Claus. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [4:30 p.m.] CHILL Adventure Park returns to the Queen Mary in Long Beach from December 13 through January 7. Come experience ice bumper cars, ice skating, an Alpine Zip Line and more chill themed activities. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED
4. [5 p.m.] It’s Sushi & Beer night at Absolution Brewing Company in Torrance. Sushi will be provided by Shiroyama Sushi Co and a selection of new released craft ales will be on hand to wash it all down.
5. [6 p.m.] LA Zoo Lights.
6. [6 p.m.] The Natural History Museum will host the Moth StorySLAM, an open-mic storytelling competition held around the world. Anyone can participate and the theme this round is inked, stories about making things permanent for example manifestos, contracts and tattoos.
7. [6:30 p.m.] There’s a screening of Ai Weiwei’s Human Flow at the Hammer Museum followed by a Q& A with the art activist himself. Filmed in 23 countries the film follows the global refugee crisis over the course of a year. FREE
8. [8 p.m.] Bring a little New Year’s soul into your life by checking out dublab’s weekly event All the Feels at Freehand Los Angeles. FREE
9. [various] Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
10. [various] Discover the best in foreign-language cinema during the Golden Globe Nominees Series, a week of special screenings from January 1–6 at the Egyptian and Aero Theatres. In addition there will be free panel discussion with the filmmakers, at the Egyptian Theatre on Saturday.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $18 tix to the 2018 LA Art Show (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.