You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, November 1, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8:30 a.m.] Timberland and the Student Conservation Association will be teaming up to transform a vacant, Los Angeles lot into a community garden. The two organizations are inviting the public to come help erect the soon-to-be local spot. All tools as well as meals will be provided for those helping out. FREE
2. [2 p.m.] Merchants on Olvera Street will celebrate Dia de los Muertos for nine days through November 2. The festival will include altars on display, children’s workshops, face painting, and live entertainment. FREE
3. [4 p.m.] Gather your most ambitious and driven friends to bring to the Power Women Summit, taking place at InterContinental Hotel DTLA on Thursday and Friday. The event will host some of the most influential women in sports, media, entrepreneurship, entertainment and more for a largely inspiring conference. Participants will be able to take workshops, panels, sit in on keynotes, networking gatherings and more.
4. [6 p.m.] This Thursday Time Out Los Angeles presents at Day of the Dead Cocktail Celebration hosted at Skyspace LA. General admission tickets include one complimentary drink and a ride on the Skyslide.
5. [6 p.m.] Cypress Park’s Día de los Muertos Community Procession will last almost a mile in length from the Cypress Park Branch Library to the Los Angeles River Center & Gardens. At the end of the procession, participants will be invited to enjoy refreshments, music and connecting with local organizations helping those interested in learning about their surrounding community. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Chinatown After Dark going down at Far East Plaza happens every first Thursday of the month and is a testing ground for chefs in our city as well as a place to enjoy local music.
7. [6:30 p.m.] An Evening of Magic benefiting Union Station Homeless Services will take place at The Rose in Pasadena. Enjoy a magic show featuring several top magicians including Ardan James, Rob Zabrecky and Tina Lenert.
8. [7 p.m.] The Haunted Hayride returns September 29-October 31 at The Old Zoo in Griffith Park featuring four different Scare Zones, including trick or treating in a blood-curdling neighborhood and riding on the Scary-Go-Round and taking a ride on the main attraction the Haunted Hayride. Happening all week until Halloween.
9. [8 p.m.] Morrissey with Joan Jett & the Blackhearts at Microsoft Theater.
10. [various] Free museum days: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $22 tix to Wine Tasting + Chamber Music at Disney Concert Hall
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.