You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, December 31, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] Kidspace Noon Year’s Eve is an early celebration for the little ones. Ring in the “noon year” with a balloon drop, live DJs, party hats, and noisemakers. Dancing is encouraged for the countdown at the strike of noon.
2. [3 p.m.] Alcove & Big Bar have a unique annual tradition for NYE, their team of expert mixologists will offer a new “timezone cocktail” every hour until the clock strikes midnight here in L.A. They’ll also be changing the music every single hour. In all, that’s ten time zones, ten cocktails, and ten playlists. Things kick off at 3 p.m. in Paris. No cover charge.
3. [6 p.m.] The Downtown Long Beach Alliance will once again host their annual New Year’s Eve celebration at the Waterfront at Pine Ave Pier. It’s free to the public and features live performances, a kids’ zone and a ten-minute fireworks show.
4. [7 p.m.] Ring in the new year at Marina Del Rey’s Burton Chace Park with a free glow in the dark party featuring face painting, DJs, and fireworks show at midnight. FREE
5. [8 p.m.] Grand Park New Years Eve Celebration is our city’s flagship NYE celebration with music across two stages, food trucks, photo booths, a light installation and more. FREE
6. [9 p.m.] Part Time Punks annual New Year’s Eve Party will have DJ Jose Maldonado spinning indie 80s, 90s, Britpop, post-punk, new wave, dark wave at The Moroccan Lounge. Artists you can expect to hear include NIN, Pulp, The Smiths, Nirvana, Radiohead, The Cure, New Order, and more, so get your black eyeliner ready.
7. [9 p.m.] Ring in the New Year at 2018’s Prohibition. The event, now in its seventh year, will see L.A.’s Union Station transformed into a large celebration with a plethora of entertainment, including burlesque shows, a live jazz ensemble, DJs, and headliners Classixx.
8. [9 p.m.] Not into top 40? Riot! at the Disco is a night of emo and pop-punk. Expect lots of Jimmy Eat World, All Time Low, AFI, Taking Back Sunday, Coheed and Cambria and, as the name might imply, Panic! at the Disco to be played.
9. [9 p.m.] There’a a NYE dance party with LCD Soundsystem vs. Daft Punk. DJ JoelAtTheDisco will spin the two bands music along with Chromeo, Justice, Ladytron, Crystal Castles, Peaches, Cut Copy, and more. Tickets include party favors and a champagne toast at midnight.
10. [9:30 p.m.] Dance the night away at Skyspace’s 1st New Year’s Eve Party where DJs Dre Sinatra and GRLSKOUT will be spinning the hottest hip-hop and house music all night long. Your ticket includes access to the entire attraction, open bar all night, tray-passed hors-d’oeuvres, Skyslide rides and a champagne toast.
Looking for more New Year’s Even celebrations? Check out our massive list of 40 Things to Do on NYE in Los Angeles.
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar