You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, December 6, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] LA Auto Show returns with thousand cars on display. From Nov. 30 to Dec. 9 experience various car exhibits, model debuts and more at the LA Convention Center.
2. [noon] Artist Ken Salter brings his experiential installation Garden of Strange Loops: So Tonight that I Might See to Gallery 30 South in Pasadena. The exclusive exhibit will allow guests to interact with a “Reflecting Pool” while sensors track the guests movements and transform them into one-of-a-kind psychedelic images in an instant. Events will be held through January 27, 2019.
3. [3 p.m.] Step into a world of limitless creativity and unlock new realms of photography inside Canon PORTALS, coming to Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica (Nov. 29 – Dec 16). The ongoing series of events features photo-walks, workshops, and on-site camera experts. FREEx
4. [3 p.m.] Join Refinery29 in an immersive installation during 29rooms at The Reef (December 5-9). The event will feature 29 different interactive spaces created by artists both local and international. Experience include anonymous palm reading, sound bath, a blindfolded multi-sensory ASMR tunnel, live dance performances, and more.
5. [sundown] Grand Park’s Winter Glow is a month-long nighttime light attraction featuring 19 large scale interactive light installations by local artists. Open to the public from December 1 – 25, 2018. FREE
6. [6 p.m.] Culver City Holiday Tree Lighting Celebration in Downtown Culver City will get the businesses on that street in the holiday spirit. They’ll be providing hot beverages, cookies and other treats to the public while local choirs, the Mayor and city council members and an appearance by Dixie of Dixie’s Tupperware Party, courtesy of the Kirk Douglas Theatre entertain. FREE
7. [6 p.m.] Chinatown After Dark going down at Far East Plaza happens every first Thursday of the month and is a testing ground for chefs in our city as well as a place to enjoy local music.
8. [7 p.m.] 89.9 KCRW Presents: She & Him with Special guest Alice Wetterlund at The Wiltern.
9. [7:30 p.m.] For The Record presents the world premiere production of Love Actually Live at The Wallis. The musical will bring one of the most beloved holiday movies to life through an all-star cast and 15-piece orchestra. Playing December 4-31. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $25 tix to Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar