You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, February 27, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] 260LA will host a Ulla Johnson sample sale from February 26 through March 1 in their Beverly Hills location.
2. [5:30 p.m.] Therapeutic Thursdays at LA Historic Park is a wellness group that provides a safe space and a support system. Lead by Liza, a Promotorx member, and representatives of the L.A. County Department of Mental Health facilitate will discuss reducing stress strategies this week. FREE
3. [5:30 p.m.] Head to The Warehouse at The Geffen Contemporary at MOCA for a Freedom From Fear Town Hall that explores the inequities of privilege and access through a presentation of Theatre of the Oppressed. FREE
4. [7 p.m.] The History of Paramount Ranch, a special presentation by retired national park ranger Mike Malone, hosted by the San Fernando Valley Historical Society & Adobe Museum. Free with donations welcome. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] Zócalo presents a discussion on How Are Native American Artists Envisioning the Future? Industry leaders will talk about how artists are addressing civilizational threats like climate change, plagues, inequality, and mass violence. FREE
6. [8 p.m.] Head down to Scum and Villainy Cantina in Hollywood for Cosmic Karaoke night. There is no cover for this event.
7. [8 p.m.] CAP UCLA presents Man Booker Prize winner and author Marlon James as he stops in Los Angeles to discuss Black Leopard, Red Wolf, his new surreal fantasy epic described by The New Yorker “as an African Game of Thrones.”
8. [8 p.m.] Dan Savage’s HUMP! Film Festival returns on select dates from February 20-29. The nationwide festival showcases five-minute sex-positive ‘dirty movies’ on the big screen of The Downtown Independent in celebration of creative sexual expression.
9. [various] Free Museum Day at Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.), Museum of Latin American Art and USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.)
10. [various] Dine Out Long Beach Restaurant Week returns with a host of specially priced prix fixe brunches, lunches and dinners from February 23-29.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $16 tix to Mamma Mia! at La Mirada Theatre for the Performing Arts (via Goldstar)