You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Sunday, August 12, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] The world’s largest Korean culture convention KCON stops in Los Angeles from August 10 to 12 for a celebration of music, Korean pop culture, workshops, meet-and-greets, and more.
2. [10 a.m.] Nisei Week Japanese Festival (Aug 11-12) returns to the streets of Little Tokyo, beaming with food, culture, entertainment, a grand parade and more. FREE Also happening during Nisei Week is the 10th Annual Tanabata Festival on August 11-12. The family friendly weekend will explore the historic neighborhood of Little Tokyo, participate in workshops and games, shop unique vendor booths, and enjoy live entertainment. FREE
3. [10 a.m.] Fans of ice cream can head down Ice Cream Alley, a special area of Smorgasburg LA dedicated to showcasing the best of local ice cream and sweet treats, all in one place.
4. [10:30 a.m.] Come experience the history of Boyle Heights and its Jewish roots through a special walking tour this Sunday. The tour explores locations that share the story of how an immigrant community came together during the first half of the twentieth century.
5. [11 a.m.] Celebrate canines during Dog Days of Summer at the Hammer Museum. Enjoy a family matinee screening of Old Yeller for free this Sunday. FREE
6. [11 a.m.] Angel City Brewery’s 6th Annual Avocado Festival takes place August 11-12, celebrating the state fruit with music, food, and limited release Avocado Ale.
7. [11 a.m.] The 1st Annual Valley Pride Festival, taking place in North Hollywood this Sunday is a block party style celebration for both the LGBT community and the community at large.
8. [4 p.m.] The 626 Night Market is back for its seventh season at Santa Anita Park. Happening again August 10 to 12, the event features over 250 vendors selling crafts, merchandise, art, music and a massive selection of food from local restaurants, food trucks and more.
9. [5 p.m.] Escape the summer heat during Jazz on the Lawn, a series of free summer concerts at Santa Monica’s Gandara Park every Sunday in August. In addition to live music there will be free dance lessons, food trucks and picnic games. FREE
10. [various] The Burbank Comedy Festival taking place across five different venues will host 200 performers from around the globe for five days (August 12-18) of nonstop funny business. The festival kicks off with Jeff Garlin this Sunday!
DEAL OF THE DAY: $4.50 tix to the Long Beach BBQ Fest Aug. 17-19 (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.