You know what’s handy?
Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, August 24, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] A Yeti Village has been constructed on Hollywood and Vine in anticipation for the movie SMALLFOOT. Designed to look like winter, visitors of all ages can dance in a blizzard, swing on a cloud, ride a 20-foot slide, play in a snowball pit, sing karaoke, do arts and crafts and more. The family-friendly experience is free to attend and runs through September 14, 2018. FREE
2. [10 a.m.] Halo Top celebrates their grand opening at The Grove with free ice cream for the first 100 guests and a life-sized ice-cream wonderland with life-sized ice cream pints, themed ball pits, golden swings, and other playful installments.
3. [11 a.m.] British artist Lucy Sparrow has transformed the second floor of the Standard in DTLA into Sparrow Mart a supermarket art wonderland fill with over 31,000 adorable felt-covered food replicas all for sale. Part art installation, store and loads of photo worthy moments, Sparrow Mart open Aug 1-31 (closed on Mondays) is free to attend on a first come first serve basis. FREE
4. [4 p.m.] The DTLA Proud Festival returns to Pershing Square for a weekend of community and diversity celebration starting with a free all ages celebration this Friday featuring live music, food vendors, artists and more representing the culture, history, and diversity of the Los Angeles LGBTQ+ community.
5. [5 p.m.] The La Brea Tar Pits and Museum will host Late Night Fridays where guests can enjoy free general admission from 5 to 8 p.m. and gain access to special activities, 3D movies, behind-the-scenes tours, live excavations, and more. FREE
6. [5:30 p.m.] Barnsdall Fridays returns to Barnsdall Art Park for the tenth year in a row, with evening tastings of boutique wines and music from KCRW DJs perched atop a hill with incredible city views.
7. [6 p.m.] The Roadium in Torrance presents Classic Drive-in Movies every Friday night in August and the first Friday of September. Each family-friendly event features classic films projected on the screen tower. Continuing the series is a screening of Five Summer Stories.
8. [7 p.m.] The Music Center’s annual Dance DTLA series is back for 2018 with a series of Friday-night events at Grand Park. This week features Dance DTLA, an evening dedicated to Bollywood. FREE
9. [7 p.m.] The Labyrinth Masquerade Ball happening August 24-25 at the Millennium Biltmore in DLTA is a unique experience featuring extravagant costumes, performances, multiple ballrooms with dancing, mythological acts, special effects and the popular Goblin Court.
10. [various] The 8th annual Los Angeles Food & Wine Festival is a five-day epicurean event showcasing the finest in Los Angeles food and drink culture. Happening in Downtown L.A., Santa Monica and Beverly Hills between from August 22-26. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
DEAL OF THE DAY: $6.50 tix to the L.A. County Fair (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.