You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, September 7, 2018.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] The LA County Fair continues this weekend! Head to the Pomona Fairplex for an enormous assortment of activities, musical performances, carnival style food and more. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. [5 p.m.] The Original Long Beach Lobster Festival returns for the 22nd year in a row (September 7-9) with live entertainment, activities, and boat loads of fresh Maine lobster. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. [6 p.m.] LA Plaza de Cultura y Artes’s 4th annual Summer of Salsa concert comes to a close this Friday with Conjunto Costazul, led by salsa scene veterans Freddie and Johnny Crespo, bringing the sounds of swing and salsa with booming horns and percussion. FREE
4. [6 p.m.] See Annenberg Space for Photography’s current exhibit, Not an Ostrich, after hours, along with live music, and a special documentary screening. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
6. [various.] Broad Street Oyster Co. takes over the We Have Noodles Silver Lake spot for a four-day pop-up ( September 6-9). Dine on fresh oysters, Santa Barbara uni, Maine lobster rolls as well as a seated prix fixe menu. Wine and beer will be provided by Tabula Rasa’s Zack Negin, as well as Stephanie Mutz of Sea Stephanie Fish.
7. [various] The 10th Annual Burbank International Film Festival September 5-9 will feature 200 films by up-and-coming filmmakers.
8. [various] PaleyFest continues at the Paley Center for Media in Beverly Hills. Check out panels and screenings of the most hotly anticipated new fall TV shows from September 6-16. The fest will feature talents like Nathan Fillion (The Rookie), Aaron Paul and Alison Brie (BoJack Horseman), Jennifer Jason Leigh (Atypical) and plenty more.
9. [various] Westfield Topanga Restaurant Week kicks off on September 7 for a 10-day dining event across the Westfield Topanga properties, highlighting a diverse selection of choices and flavors, from fine dining steakhouses to good old Southern BBQ. The best part? Guests can expect savings of up to 20% off on uniquely crafted prix-fixe menus.
10. [various] Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
DEAL OF THE DAY: $6.50 tix to the LA County Fair (via Goldstar)
Want more ideas for upcoming things to do in L.A.? Check out our Los Angeles events calendar.