Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Oct. 14 to Oct. 16) includes a Carrie prom party at Ace, the Long Beach Zombie Festival, a Japanese Garden festival, Vegan Oktoberfest, The Sherman Oaks Street Fair, CicLAvia: Heart of LA, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday October 14th, 2016
1. The 2016 Long Beach Zombie Fest at Rainbow Lagoon Park kicks off this Friday and runs for three frightful days of zombie fun. Keep in mind discount tickets are available for select dates, so be sure to shop and compare before purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
2. This Friday at the Theatre at Ace Hotel celebrate the 40th anniversary of Carrie with a special film screening and prom party. Keep in mind discount tickets are available for this event via our friends at Goldstar. Be sure to shop and compare before you purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. Now in its 9th year, The IndieCade Festival is the largest event dedicated to celebrating independent games in the nation. The fest takes place on the campus of USC this Friday-Sunday.
4. RISE of the Jack O’Lanterns at the LA Convention Center begins this Thursday featuring some of the craziest, most impressive pumpkin carving to be found in the world. The festivities run through Sunday. Keep in discount tickets are available while supplies last. Be sure to shop and compare before purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. The 10th annual Calabasas Malibu Food & Wine Festival comes to The Village at Topanga. Keep in mind discount admission is available while supplies last. Be sure to shop and compare before you purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
6. Eat|See|Hear presents Front Porch Cinema, a free movie night under the stars taking place every Friday on Santa Monica Pier from Sept. 30 through Oct. 28. This week Star Wars: The Force Awakenswill be screened. FREE
7. Head over to Oktoberfest in Alpine Village and enjoy traditional Bavarian fun, food, and beer. The is considered one of the oldest running Oktoberfest celebration in Southern California. Festivities continue all the way until Oct. 29.
8. Zombie Joe’s Underground Theatre hosts Urban Death Tour of Terror a immersive haunted house experience every Friday and Saturday from Oct. 7 to Nov. 5. Guests walk through a maze surrounded by monsters and arrive in the theater for a 20-minute performance before reentering the maze, this time with new monsters lurking at every turn.
9. The Long Beach Craft Beer Festival comes to the campus of CSULB with unlimited two-ounce pours of more than 100 beers. This two-day affair starts with a brewer’s reception and craft beer pairing event on Friday and continues with the main festival on Saturday.
Saturday October 15th, 2016
10. Celebrate the 50th anniversary of Descanso Gardens’ Japanese Garden on Oct. 15-16 with a weekend full of music and art at the Japanese Garden Festival.
11. The Found LA: Festival of Neighborhoods returns for its sixth year for a two-day look at the secret histories of some of Los Angeles’ most intriguing, distinctive neighborhoods via tours led by residents, public figures and renowned artists. FREE
12. This Saturday night at Resident DTLA That Big ’80s Party will celebrate the decade of excess through music and dance. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. The Fall Festival at the Original Farmers Market will include All-Alaskan racing pigs, a petting zoo, kid-sized pedal-powered tractor pull competitions, old-time artisans, pie-eating contests, and live music. Takes place both Saturday and Sunday. FREE
14. Do The Time Warp at 826LA’s annual Danceathon Benefit returning to Echo Park this Saturday. You won’t find a better cause to groove for!
15. The Kidspace Children’s Museum will be having their 22nd annual Pumpkin Festival on Oct. 15 and 16. Children (and adults!) of all ages can enjoy a petting zoo, pony rides, bounce houses, games and arts & crafts. Admission is free! FREE
16. This weekend go on a unique treasure hunt with discount tickets to the Alchemist’s Lab escape room at the Oddville Art Space. Available both Saturday and Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. The Fright Feast Film series in Eagle Rock offers a double-bill this Saturday: Bride of Frankenstein & Creature from the Black Lagoon.
18. The Burbank Beer Festival is back for its second year with a lineup of 85 craft brews.
19. Free movie night at Echo Park Lake this Saturday: West Side Story. FREE
20. The Quiet Clubbing Dance Party is coming to Brouweij West on Saturday, Oct. 15 for a special Halloween edition.
21. This Saturday at The Rose Bowl the 2016 Pasadena Octoberfest will offer over 50 different breweries and vendors.
22. The 3rd annual Vegan Oktoberfest comes to LA Center Studios on Oct. 15 for a taste trail of over 50 beers and ciders for attendees to enjoy.
23. This Saturday evening The Los Angeles Art Association is hosting an opening reception for Countenance Divine, an all-media exploration of contemporary portraiture. There will also be openings for four solo exhibitions by artists Bibi Davidson, Zeal Harris, Stephanie Sydney and Snezana Saraswati Petrovic. The reception runs from 6 to 9 p.m. at Gallery 825. The exhibition runs through Nov. 18.
25. Saturday is the opening of The Science Behind Pixar at the California Science Center. Museum admission is free but tickets are required ($14.95 for adults) to get into the exhibition.
26. Delve into a world of bizarre murders and dark history via an Echo Park Book of the Dead bus tour. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Lethal Amounts Gallery is hosting an Art of the Halloween Mask exhibit this Saturday at 8 p.m. in Downtown Los Angeles.
Sunday October 16th, 2016
28. The Annual Sherman Oaks Street Fair returns on Oct. 16 with what might just be the largest annual block party in the San Fernando Valley. FREE
29. CicLAvia, our city’s largest ongoing open streets festival program, returns to the heart of L.A. this Sunday morning beginning at 9 a.m.
30. Los Angeles Magazine: The Food Event 2016 comes to Saddlerock Ranch in Malibu on Oct. 16 for an annual ‘celebration of culinary perfection’ that’s bring together more than 40 of L.A.’s best and brightest restaurants and more than 20 wineries.
31. Attention beer lovers! This Sunday is DTLA Breweries United Fest ’16. $45 gets you unlimited tastings from a selection of breweries and taprooms that includes: Mumford, Arts District, Iron Triangle, Boomtown, Indie Brewing, Dry River & Angel City Brewery.
32. Oct. 16 is the opening of S/Election, a new exhibition at the Los Angeles Municipal Art Gallery that showcases themes of citizenship and democracy in America. The exhibition runs through Jan. 8. The public opening this Sunday is from 3 to 5 p.m.
33. This Sunday evening grab discount tickets for The Unauthorized Musical Parody of Troop Beverly Hills at the Rockwell. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. Finish your weekend with a few Sunday night laughs at The Satellite via the Power Violence comedy collective.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].