Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome. Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (Dec. 9 to Dec. 11) includes the Marine Del Rey Boat Parade, the Studio City Winter Family Fest, a Snow Day in Playa Del Rey, a Festival of Carols at Disney Concert Hall, Thrillist’s Fest of the Best, the Echo Park Holiday Craft Fair, and LOTS more to choose from.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday December 9th, 2016
1. A Will Ferrell themed pop-up bar lands at the TCL Chinese 6 Theatres for a limited time only. The Stay Classy Bar will be open from Dec. 5 through Dec. 15 and features themed drinks and decor plus Elf and Anchorman-themed dance parties.
2. Enchanted: Forest of Light at Descanso Gardens will offer visitors a colorful one-mile path route through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden. Happening now through Jan. 8. Check for Discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. The Queen Mary’s signature winter attraction, CHILL, returns with a holiday theme of Alice in Winterland, promising an interactive and immersive experiences for the whole family to enjoy. Check for discounted tickets all weekend before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Get discount tickets to Thrones!, a hilarious musical parody of Game of Thrones now playing all weekend at The Hudson Theatres in Hollywood. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. On Fridays Royce’s Arcade Warehouse hosts ‘Threeplay Fridays’ from 4 to 7 p.m. For $3 you get three hours of unlimited play of games such as Donkey Kong, Street Fighter 2, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga and many more.
6. Amélie the Oscar-nominated French film is now a new musical. The pre-Broadway production is taking place at the Ahmanson all weekend. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. Union Station’s south patio will provide some holiday entertainment with “Coco Concerts” held beneath the stations towering Christmas tree. The family-friendly celebration will feature a free concert, a “Cocoa Bar” with Elftenders, an “Ugly Christmas Sweater” contest, holiday crafts and cookie decorating, a Naughty & Nice photo booth and Santa. FREE
8. Benjamin Millepied and L.A. Dance Project return to Los Angeles for a two-night performance at The Theatre at Ace Hotel. The show will include the world premiere of “Homecoming,” with music composed and performed live by Rufus Wainwright. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski takes his Christmas decorating very seriously. Ziemkowski’s Lights on Display is a beloved local tradition worth driving to. Starts nightly at 5 p.m. through the start of the new year. FREE
10. LA Zoo Lights is back! Now in its third year, the after-hours event showcases animal-themed LEDs, lasers, 3D projections, and animated displays throughout the zoo. Happening all week. Check for discounted tickets all weekend before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Largest outdoor ice skating rink returns to Pershing Square for its 19th winter run. The 7,200 square-foot Holiday Ice Rink® Pershing Square will be open every day of the holiday season through Jan. 16.
12. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. RAILS is hosting their annual warehouse sale Dec. 9-10. The celebrity-favorite label will offer up to 70% off coveted pieces that include signature button downs, dresses, and separates.
14. Esquire presents a special screening of Furious 7 inside the Meyer Gallery at the Petersen Automotive Museum. Refreshments and popcorn will be provided.
15. The Alchemist’s Lab is an escape room experience putting you right in the shoes of a junior detective at Scotland Yard in the 19th century. Do you have what it takes to uncover the devious plans of the alchemist? Happening throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. The Groundlings Holiday Show pokes fun at the holidays with all-new sketches and some improvisation.
Saturday December 10th, 2016
18. The 54th Annual Marina Del Rey Boat Parade is back! Featuring some 70 competitors entertaining onlookers and vying for bragging rights in categories such as best animation, best lights, best band, best overall, and more. FREE
19. Thrillist’s very first Fest of the Best LA will showcase the best of the Los Angeles food scene, all under one roof for one day. Picks include selections for Best Ice Cream (Carmela Ice Cream), Best French Cuisine (Le Petit Paris), Best Poke Shop (Mainland Poke), and lots more.
20. The Renegade Craft Fair returns on Dec. 10-11 with over 275 makers, handmade goods, DIY workshops, artwork by independent creators and lots more. Happening in Downtown at Grand Park. FREE
21. Picture This! L.A.’s only live animated comedy show is back with a FREE show at The Virgil. FREE
22. Climb aboard the award winning Esotouric bus crime tour. This weekend they will take deep dive into Downtown L.A. Tour guests will be taken to the scene of odd crimes, happenings, and historical landmarks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Bergamot Station’s annual Holiday Open House will feature over 30 galleries, shopping opportunities, live music, holiday drinks, art and more! FREE
24. L.A. based burlesque troupe The Dollface Dames take over the Magicopolis stage for a night of tease, balloon popping, belly dance and even clogging. Lets just say they do a lot in their 80 minute show. But the fun doesn’t end there the Magicopolis bartenders double as magicians! Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. KCRW and One Colorado present a free performance by KT Tunstall with a DJ set by Jason Bentley. This is an all ages concert located in The Courtyard in Pasadena’s shopping district.
26. The Echo Park Community Parade is an annual community event, featuring 50+ parade entrants showcasing in this year’s theme: “Celebrating the Artists of Echo Park.” FREE
27. The 8th Annual SANTA Monica Pub Crawl will take place at numerous locations of Santa Monica’s best bars and restaurants. Dress in Santa or holiday attire is strongly encouraged for this festive pub crawl.
28. A unique shopping event, the Bitchcraft Winter Faire will host 40+ vendors of apparel, accessories, jewelry, art and household goods all focused on the dark and magical.
29. The Los Angeles Master Chorale will celebrate the 2016 holiday season with a Festival of Carols at The Walt Disney Concert Hall. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. The bi-annual Echo Park Craft Fair returns Dec. 10 and 11 at Mack Sennett Studios in Silver Lake with 120 curated arts and food vendors for all your shopping and eating pleasure. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. GRAMMY-nominated artist Aloe Blacc will perform a free concert at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw as part of their annual Holiday Winter Celebration. The event includes a toy giveaway, real snow, and a performance of the Hot Chocolate Nutcracker by the Debbie Allen Dance Company. All activities are free and open to the public. FREE
32. 6th Annual Holiday Concert & Santa on The Pier in Redondo Beach will feature local musical performances, Santa Claus on the pier and a surfing Santa! FREE
33. The 13th Annual Decades Chanel event is this Saturday. Hosted by actress Ashley Madekwe and celebrity stylist Karla Welch, get your hands on gently used Chanel for a good cause, a portion of the proceeds will be donated to charities including Trevor Project, American Civil Liberties Union and Southern Poverty Law Center.
34. The 34th Annual Parade of 1000 Lights Christmas Boat Parade in Long Beach is happening this Saturday. FREE
35. Join the Culinary Historians of Southern California this Saturday for “A Journey Through Vietnamese Cuisine” a panel discussion with Kim Fay, Kimmy Tang, and Tin Vuong at the Los Angeles Public Library. FREE
36. Chris D’Elia, Anthony Jeselnik and some very special guest will be doing stand-up at L.A.’s legendary Comedy Store on the Sunset Strip this Saturday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
37. Ready set roll! The LA Derby Dolls Championship will take place at The Dollosseum in Alhambra this Saturday.
38. The 25th Annual King Harbor Holiday Boat Parade will take place on Saturday showcasing decorated paddle-crafts and boats. FREE
39. Gabba Gallery will host their popular affordable art show, Wishlist with artwork by over 70 artists costing under $1000. It is the perfect opportunity to buy a unique gift or start your investment in art collecting 😉
40. Downtown Pomona will host a Christmas parade. This years theme is “California Christmas.” FREE
Sunday December 11th, 2016
41. The Sixth Annual Winter Family Festival returns to Studio City featuring more than 80 tons of snow to enjoy via sledding and snowman making. This free event will also include gingerbread house decorating, holiday crafts, Santa Claus photo-ops, live music from local schools and community groups, dancing, face painting, food samples, and more. FREE
42. The Hammer Museum and the UCLA Film & Television Archive have teamed up for the Family Flicks film series. This week they will screen the classic film Wizard of Oz. FREE
43. Playa Provisions, will host their annual family-friendly Snow Day on Sunday, in the restaurant’s parking lot. Activities include a sledding hill, bounce house, face painting, and snow for building snowmen! Prices run $5 to $10 for activities and the restaurant will have small bites, cocktails and a DIY s’more station.
44. Join art critics William Hackman and Hunter Drohojowska-Philp for Lichtenstein and Los Angeles at the Skirball for a discussion about Roy Lichtenstein’s work and its relation to the Los Angeles art scene. Joined by exhibition curator Bethany Montagano and moderated by art writer Jori Finkel. Don’t miss out on the stunning Lichtenstein exhibit while you’re there!
45. Silicon Valley stars Kumail Nanjiani and Thomas Middleditch will face off at the first ever Screen Splitters Live event, battling each other in Titanfall 2 in front of a live audience and streamed online via Twitch.
46. Angel City Brewery is bringing the holiday cheer this Sunday for Hoppy Holidays a shopping event, holiday party and Beer Bazaar at their DTLA brewery.
47. Manhattan Beach is hosting a holiday fireworks show. The event is free and open to the public. FREE
48. The NASA’s Pavilion sound experience is now of view at The Huntington Library. A “soundscape” experience that represents the movement of the International Space Station and 19 Earth Science satellites the shell like sculpture emits sounds each interpreting one of the satellites’ missions. Open to the public till Feb. 27, 2017.
49. Held on the second Sunday of each month the Rose Bowl Flea Market has everything you can imagine from vintage tees, unique vintage jewelry and furniture you’ll find yourself browsing for hours.
50. Free admission days this Sunday for: Museum of Latin American Art and Craft, Folk Art Museum (pay what you can) and Pacific Asia Museum.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com.