Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (August 11 – August 13) includes a Hello Kitty Cafe Truck, CatCon, BrunchCon, the Thrillist Taco Knockout, CicLAvia, a public art takeover in Pasadena, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday August 11th, 2017
1. Sundance NEXT FEST returns to the Theatre at Ace Hotel (August 10-13) with some of the best up and coming films alongside food, drinks, games and live music in DTLA.
2. Cheer on the Dodgers as they go up against the San Diego Padres this Friday. Then walk onto the iconic field of Dodger Stadium and watch a spectacular fireworks as part of Los Angeles Dodgers Friday Night Fireworks. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum in Downtown Los Angeles for garden-inspired cocktails, music and botanical tours with the NHM garden staff. Guests are welcome to bring a picnic or purchase bites from food trucks, the event is free to attend. FREE
4. Enjoy the ballet and a stellar view of Downtown Los Angeles when the American Contemporary Ballet presents MUSIC + DANCE+ LA II a night of dance, views 32 stories up high and more. Happening August 10 to 13.
5. Belcampo on West Third Street celebrates their two year anniversary by giving back with $2 fast burgers from 2 p.m. until close this Friday while supplies last.
6. Thinking about adopting a pet? Online retailer Zappos.com is teaming up with North Shore Animal League America by sponsoring pet adoptions at select L.A. shelters this Friday. This means Zappos will cover all qualifying adoption fees so you can go home with a new friend for free! FREE
7. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights curated by Coleman at Grand Park. FREE
8. The San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights will feature a retro drive-in, screening movies connected to the SFV. Guests can enjoy pre-show music, surprise guests, and themed out entertainment. This week they will screen The Karate Kid. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. FIGat7th Downtown Festival will return to transform the popular shopping destination into an intimate music venue with live performances by leading pop, rock, American roots, soul and alternative artists. FREE
10. Beach Movie Nights at Dockweiler Youth Center is an all ages free movie screening by the water. This week they will screen Storks. FREE
11. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Friday they’ll takeover Metro Arts Night at Union Station with KCRW DJs Anthony Valadez and Valida. FREE
12. 626 Night Market comes to Santa Anita Park from August 11-13 for the largest Asia-themed night market in the United States. It will feature food, merchandise, crafts, arts, games, music, and entertainment.
13. 30th Annual Long Beach Jazz Festival heads to Rainbow Lagoon Park August 11-13 for three sunny days of jazz, food and oceanside fun.
14. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. The Two Gentlemen of Verona Wednesday through Sunday.
15. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
16. Pershing Square continues their free summer movie screenings this Friday with The Mortal Instruments. FREE
17. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
18. The Gamble House in Pasadena is offering their ‘Upstairs Downstairs’ Tours. In this 90 minute tour, walk through the architectural gem and learn about the history of family who lived their and the lives of the servants as well.
19. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Clueless on August 11 and 12.
20. Dine LBC is Long Beach’s own city wide restaurant taking place August 5 through 13. Each participating restaurant will offer a three-course menu during lunch and dinner for a special price.
21. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Septeto Santiaguero. FREE
Saturday August 12th, 2017
22. The inaugural BoldPas: An Art Takeover of Old Pasadena takes over the historic alleys of Old Pasadena for a one-day event showcasing professional and up-and-coming LA-area artists’ site-specific installations. FREE
23. Thrillist Taco Knockout in Downtown Los Angeles taking place at Lot 613 in DTLA is the “ultimate taco party” featuring tacos from Mexikosher, Aqui Es Texcoco, Slapfish and more. Tickets cost $35 and gets you eight tacos, cervezas and more.
24. CatCon 2017 at Pasadena Convention Center on August 12 and 13 is a feline-centric event set up like a “comic-con for cat lovers.”
25. BrunchCon at The Reef in Downtown Los Angeles (August 12-13) is brunching in a convention literally! For its second year the event will roll out a brand-new format that includes six open mimosa bars (along with other brunch cocktails) and one tasting from each vendor with over 50 vendors, you might leave in a food coma. Make sure to use promo code WELIKELA to save $5 on your ticket purchase!
26. Propel Water’s Fitness Festival is coming to L.A. on August 12 and 13. The two-day fit-fest is perfect for anyone looking to shape up, highlights include celebrity workouts, top group workout classes and live musical performances.
27. There’s a Tribute to Daft Punk happening at The Regent in DTLA this Saturday with a full-scale pyramid stage and chromed helmet wearing DJ’s spinning all the hits from the French duos work. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. The Manhattan Beach Chamber of Commerce presents their annual Bite at the Beach Food, Beer & Wine Event at the MBS Media Campus. Spend an afternoon sampling food and beer pairings from establishments throughout the South Bay. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. Marina del Rey’s free Summer Concert Series continues with Yo La Tengo at Burton Chace Park. FREE
30. Movies on the Green bring free screenings of popular films to the Lou Bredlow Pavilion in Warner Center Park in Woodland Hills every Saturday in the summer. This weekend they will screen Ferris Bueller’s Day Off. FREE
31. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Hamed Nikpay. FREE
32. The LA Indie Improv Festival is two days of insanity with three stages, one party bus, 190+ improv teams, two panels, food and zero dollar admission. FREE
33. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features two screenings on Saturday: Almost Famous at Eagle Rock Rec Center and Monsters, Inc. at Syd Kronenthal Park.
34. Malibu Country Mart will host their annual Summer Block Party this weekend transforming the popular shopping destination into a colorful street fair with fun activities for all ages and complimentary treats like ice-cream sandwiches, shaved ice, fruit slushies, coffee floats offered on site.
35. BeautyCon, the two-day beauty convention, is returning on August 12 and 13. There will be tons of makeup tutorials, hair workshops, Q&A panels and popular beauty and makeup brands. There will also be countless YouTube, celebrity and industry beauty personalities on-site for meet and greets.
36. The traveling Hello Kitty Cafe Truck is having a pop-up in Cerritos this Saturday bringing with them Hello Kitty inspired treats, branded macaron box sets, cookies, doughnuts, mugs, and shirts… basically everything you’d ever need to fulfill your Hello Kitty cravings.
37. The San Fernando Valley Summer Drive-In Movie Nights will feature a retro drive-in, screening movies connected to the SFV. Guests can enjoy pre-show music, surprise guests, and themed out entertainment. This weekend they will screen La Bamba. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
38. Stop by the Hammer Museum for a unique performance by Aaron Taylor Kuffner and I. Nyoman Wenten. Titled Gameltron the 30 minute performance will feature both artists improvising with their own artwork. The performances are part of a larger installation, including a five-part kinetic sculpture. FREE
39. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of When Harry Met Sally at The Autry.
40. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Saturday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Polliwog Park in Manhattan Beach. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
41. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier will host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Reggae band Scrap Yard Aces will perform. FREE
42. The Rooftop Cinema Series returns to Pasadena with free movie screenings featuring a DJ and family-friendly activities. This weekend they will screen Top Gun on the roof of Corporate Center Pasadena. FREE
Sunday August 13th, 2017
43. The 4th Annual Burbank Comedy Festival runs August 13 to 19 and will feature Hal Sparks, Jeff Garlin, Carol Leifer, Kel Mitchell, Mary Lynn Rajskub, Joey Diaz, and many more.
44. CicLAvia returns with a bike, run, walk and skate event in San Pedro and the Wilmington area this Sunday. Enjoy vibrant outdoor public spaces and explore the highlighted area without a car!
45. Dress in your best 40’s attire and get ready for a wild night of dancing at The Wiltern during Swingin’ Summer. The event is free to attend, but entry is first-come, first-serve, up to capacity. Tickets can be purchased for $10 to guarantee entry.
46. Rockwell Table & Stage presents The Unauthorized Musical Parody of Bridesmaids a hilarious musical parody of one of the best chick flicks ever to hit the big screen. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
47. The Lincoln presents Dog Day Afternoon a dog-centric party at the Venice watering hole. Bring your pup or maybe consider adopting from Pacific Pups Rescue, they’ll be on hand with their awesome adoptable dogs. Grab a photo with a cute furry friend and sip on some drink specials, grab a hot dog and more. There will also be dog treats, water bowls and toys on hand to entertain.
48. Grand Performances presents free musical performances in DTLA. This weekend the series continues with Peter Y la Loba – Lucky Diaz & the Family Jam Band. FREE
49. Rockwell Table & Stage presents The Unauthorized Musical Parody of Bridesmaids a hilarious musical parody of one of the best chick flicks ever to hit the big screen. Happening Saturday and Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
50. Free museum days: Museum of Latin American Art and Craft and Folk Art Museum (pay what you can)
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected].