Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Tuesday, Sep. 6 to Friday, Sep. 9, features the PaleyFest Fall TV Previews, Haunted House Party at the Getty Villa, the Burbank Film Festival, a Pancakes & Booze Art Show, the Original Lobster Fest, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Tuesday September 6th, 2016
1. Rooftop Cinema Club features four screenings this week: Casablanca on Tuesday, Rushmore on Wednesday, As Good As It Gets on Thursday and The Godfather on Friday.
2. Start your short work week with a few laughs at Cool Beans Comedy First Tuesdays at the E Spot Lounge in Studio City. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
3. The Moth storytelling event returns to Los Globos in Los Angeles with storytellers sharing some of the most astonishing moments of their lives around a surrounding theme. This time the theme is money.
4. Get a taste of Old Hollywood and sip on classic cocktails with the Historic Hollywood: Stars & Bars Gang as they recall Hollywood tales and history. Happening Tuesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
6. Free Museums This Tuesday
Wednesday September 7th, 2016
7. The Burbank International Film Festival (Sept. 7-11) returns for its 8th year in a row with five days of screening over 150 films and hosting some truly special events.
8. The L.A. County Fair continues at the Fairplex this week, running Wednesday through Sunday until Sept. 25. Be sure to check for discount tickets on select dates from Goldstar, while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. Above Sixty is hosting a FREE movie night every Wednesday now through Sept. 28. This week they will screen Fast Times at Ridgemont High. FREE
10. The International Documentary Association will host several free screenings of some of the year’s best documentary films.The ongoing screening series starts this Wednesday with Otto Bell’s The Eagle Huntress and Author: The JT LeRoy Story on Thursday both at The Landmark theater. FREE
11. The South Park 20 Experience opened this month at The Paley Center in Beverly Hills. Check out the foul mouth characters 20 years of anitics all under one roof. FREE
12. Vinoteque on Melrose hosts a trivia night on their patio every Wednesday at 8p.m. FREE
Thursday September 8th, 2016
13. Spend a evening with wine and a classic film screened outdoors at the beautiful Malibu Wines on select nights in September. The screenings are free! This week it’s Back To The Future. FREE
14. There’s no better way to get prepped for the new slate of fall television programming than at The PaleyFest Fall TV Preview taking place Sept. 8-15. The CW, Fox, ABC, CBS, El Ray, and NBC will all have panels promoting their new shows along with the stars of said shows.
15. The Getty Villa’s fall outdoor theater production is back! Haunted House Party, a comedy based Plautus’s Mostellaria, will be performed every Thursday-Saturday through Oct. 1. Be sure to grab discount tickets for select performances via our friends at Goldstar. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
16. Classical Nights at the Hollywood Bowl with the LA Philharmonic concert series continues with the theme LA Dance. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. As part of KCRW Summer Nights the Twilight Concerts at Santa Monica Pier will feature Ohio Players Hosted by KCRW DJ Aaron Bird. 7-10 p.m.. FREE
18. The Downtown Art Walk has been an L.A. cultural phenomenon bringing art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month for a night of art in multiple forms. FREE
19. The Alchemist’s Lab: A Victorian Escape Room happening Thursday through Sunday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. Escape Room LA also has a Alchemist themed escape room happening this Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. Celebrate the 25th anniversary of Beauty and the Beast at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood when they screen the film Thursday and throughout the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Will Geer’s Theatricum “Under the Oaks” is outdoor music series occurring every Thursday in September featuring prominent local and unique bands, artists and entertainers. This week spend an evening with the soulful music of Little Faith.
23. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
24. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens For The Love of Spock this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
25. SoFar Sounds is coming to One Colorado in Pasadena every Thursday for a night of free live music. Line up to be revealed on the night of the show. FREE
26. Escape Room LA: The Detective has you inside a 1940’s film noir set up where you have to solve a slew of mysteries in order to escape. Happening Tuesday and Wednesday. DISCOUNTED via Goldstar.
27. Tart will host Don’t Be a Drag a new weekly, live music event every Thursday featuring cocktail specials and performances from local drag queen Lady Red Couture. FREE
28. Free Museums This Thursday
- Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.)
- MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.)
- Skirball Cultural Center
- Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m,)
Friday September 9th, 2016
29. The 20th annual Original Lobster Fest (Sept. 9-11) is a three-day crustacean-centered event featuring noms, live entertainment, an interactive reptile exhibit, and much more. Be sure to check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. The Pancakes & Booze Art Show (Sept. 9-10) is back with two-nights of over the top fun. Expect over 125 emerging artists to participate, live body painting, live painting, photo booth, musical performances and a zombie fashion show (fashion show only on Saturday). Oh, and LOTS of pancakes!
31. Head to the Annenberg Community Beach House for a free sunset swim during their adults only (18+) nights. Guest can enjoy a complimentary snack bar and there will be music and activities. No reservations are required. FREE
32. Oktoberfest in Alpine Village starts Sept. 9! Enjoy traditional Bavarian fun, food, and beer at the oldest running Oktoberfest celebration in Southern California at Alpine Village in Torrance. Festivities continue all the way until Oct. 29.
33. LACMA’s award winning Department of Music Program provides hundreds of free concerts and musical events every year for Angelenos to enjoy. This Friday their jazz series continues at the BP Grand Entrance.
34. The Bailey Blue one day sale is happening from 11 a.m.- 4:30 p.m. score dresses, skirts, and tops for $9! Location: 1850 E 15th St Unit B Los Angeles, CA 90021
35. Free Museums This Friday
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com.