Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city, we decided to curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles every week end that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (May 19-21) includes Dark Nights in DTLA, a Strawberry Festival, a Rose Festival at Descanso Gardens, a beer festival in the South Bay, Monrovia Days, Museum of the Arroyos Day , and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday May 19th, 2017
1. Downtown Dark Nights at L.A. LIVE is a Friday night street party featuring $5 food and drink menus, live music, street performers, and a marketplace featuring eclectic goods from local artisans and vendors. FREE
2. The Malibu Guitar Festival comes continues through May 21 with a weekend full of grooving to smooth sounds from some of the world’s most talented guitarists.
3. 90’s R&B icon Genuwine will be performing this Friday at the SOL Venue in Carson. DISCOUNTED(via Goldstar)
4. Björk Digital is a groundbreaking virtual reality collection of videos, featuring music from Björk’s latest album, Vulnicura, to be shown at Magic Box at The Reef in Downtown L.A. starting on May 19.
5. The Desert Cahuilla Birdsingers, an ensemble who preserve and perform the storied tradition of Native American “Bird” songs, will make a debut appearance at Los Angeles’ Union Station this Friday from 4 to 6 p.m. in the North Patio. Presented by Metro Art Los Angeles, this program is free and open to the public. FREE
6. Constitution Happy Hour at AMMO at The Hammer continues this Friday with a focus on the question “Can the Constitution save LGBT and gender-based rights?”
7. Any weirdly obsessed Tom Cruise fans out there? Tom Gun LIVE: A Maverick’s Homage brings a raucous interactive parody show to the Regent chalked full of karaoke sing-a-longs, dance offs, audience fueled paper airplane battles, missiles ziplining through the crowd, and much more. Get discount tickets to this Friday’s show, while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. WhedonCon 2017 kicks off this Friday a the Warner Center Marriott with three full days of cosplay, contests, panels, workshops and more. From Firefly to Buffy and beyond! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
9. National Geographic Live: Rhinos, Rickshaws & Revolutions at the Broad Stage in Santa Monica.
10. This week’s edition of the Great Horror Movie Night at Griffith Park’s Old Zoo features a screening of the 1978 classic Halloween. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
Saturday May 20th, 2017
11. The fourth annual Rose Festival returns to Descanso Gardens for two fragrant filled days of celebrating one of America’s favorite flowers.
12. The 34th Annual California Strawberry Festival returns Strawberry Meadows of College Park in Oxnard on May 20-21 for a weekend-long event packed with everything any strawberry lover could ever ask.
13. In celebration of comic books, the supernatural and other out-of-the-ordinary media, the first-ever East LA Comic Con comes to El Gallo Plaza in East Los Angeles.
14. The 2017 SoCal BBQ Bash & Expo at the Fairplex includes cooking classes, demonstrations and workshops led by world-renowned grillers & chefs, as well as a Kids Korner. Oh, and lots of ‘cue to sample!
15. EEEEEATSCON, a brand new food festival from The Infatuation, is coming to Barker Hangar in Santa Monica starting at noon this Saturday.
16. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features screenings of Toy Story at Will Rogers State Historic Park Pacific Palisades and Clueless at Victory Park Pasadena. DISCOUNTED (v ia Goldstar)
17. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of Grand Budapest Hotel to the Santa Monica High School Greek Amphitheater. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
18. Catch a Comedy Store headliner show this Saturday that includes a lineup of Dane Cook, Kevin Nealon, Margaret Cho, and Harland Williams. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. The Original Renaissance Pleasure Faire is back at the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area in Irwindale April 8 through May 21. Come to the fair for an afternoon of games, rides, mouthwatering food and artisan crafts.
20. You can see a screening of either Risky Business or Blazing Saddles this Saturday night at the Electric Dusk Drive-In. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
21. The Pasadena Motorcycle Club, which happens to be the third oldest motorcycle club in the nation, is celebrating their 110th Anniversary with a huge group panoramic photo-op in an effort to bring together as many L.A.-area bikers as possible. The meet-up will include a community party that features live music, food trucks, street vendors, and kids activities. Takes place this Saturday starting at 2 p.m. at Pasadena City Hall FREE
22. The second annual Derby Days Champagne and Wine Festival comes to Culver Studios this Saturday starting at noon.
23. This weekend (both Saturday and Sunday) is Long Beach Pride at Marina Green Park. The 2017 theme is Viva La Vida!
24. The Venice Spring Fling brings a free, full day of music and the arts to Windward Plaza Park. Starts at 11 a.m. on Saturday. FREE
25. LitFest Pasadena is a two-day event featuring literary themed happenings and special guest author appearances at locations throughout the Playhouse District. Starts at 11 a.m. this Saturday! FREE
26. Monrovia Days is a two-day festival featuring live music, food stands, a parade, local student performances, and much more. Kicks off on Saturday at 8 a.m. FREE
Sunday May 21th, 2017
27. Six L.A. museums and historic houses, including the Gamble House , will be Free on ‘Museums of The Arroyo Day’ 2017. FREE
28. The South Bay Beer and Wine Festival comes to Ernie Howlett Park in Palos Verdes on May 21 for a top-shelf tasting extravaganza featuring some of the best wineries, breweries, an d restaurants in the area.
29. This Sunday the Venice Family Clinic’s Art Walk & Auctions (VFCAWA) celebrates its 38th anniversary as a signature community event and fundraiser. The silent art auction with feature over 200 works to showcased inside the offices of Google.
30. The 2017 GreenFest and Sustainable Garden Tour is a free community festival taking place this Sunday at Pan Pacific Park beginning at 11 a.m. The event will include food, music, family activities, and programming on topics of sustainability. FREE
31. Flavor of LA brings food, cars, and libations to the CBS Studios Back Lot in Studio City.
32. Hama Expo is a free event taking place this Sunday in Westlake. The goal: To bring pets and con culture together by celebrating Hamachi’s (the Harajuku Dog) birthday. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com.