Los Angeles provides no limit of things to do, some awesome and some not so awesome.
Since time is precious in this fast paced city we curate a list of things to do in Los Angeles for every weekend that’ll help you decide how you want to spend your limited supply of attention (not to mention dollars!).
This weekend (July 14 – July 16) includes a free Wallflowers concert in Pershing Square, a rooftop move series in Pasadena, the return of dineL.A., the Port of Los Angeles Lobster Festival, the Lotus Festival at Echo Park Lake, and MUCH more.
Also remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Friday July 14th, 2017
1. Pershing Square kicks off their free summer movie screenings this Friday leaning heavy on sci-fi and fantasy movies for the season. This week, Edge of Tomorrow will be screened. FREE
2. Friday Flights at the Getty is back this year with another round of live interdisciplinary artist performances. Experience epic art, live performances and scenic views at one of L.A.’s most popular museums. FREE
3. Celebrate summer while watching movies that rock (i.e. feature great music) during Outdoor Movies at the Skirball. The summer lineup continues with La Bamba. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Summer Nights in the Garden returns to the Natural History Museum in Downtown Los Angeles for garden-inspired cocktails, music and botanical tours with the NHM garden staff. Guests are welcome to bring a picnic or purchase bites from food trucks, the event is free to attend. FREE
5. dineL.A. returns for summer with 15-days of celebrating Los Angeles restaurant culture from July 14 to 28. Angelenos and visitors alike will have the opportunity to enjoy prix-fixe menus from more than 300 of the city’s best eateries for special prices. Checkout our post The Best dineL.A. Menus for Summer 2017 (according to We Like L.A.) use it as a guide to your dineL.A. adventures.
6. The Port of Los Angeles Lobster Fest comes to the LA Waterfront in San Pedro from July 14-16 for the world’s largest lobster festival featuring Maine Lobsters.
7. The Los Angeles Soul Music Festival returns with 18 soulful performers and groups taking place from July 14 to 16 at Exposition Park in Downtown Los Angeles. This year act include: Musiq Soulchild, Tony! Toni! Tone!, Tyrese, Slick Rick & Doug E. Fresh, K. Michelle, Blackstreet and the list goes on. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
8. FIGat7th welcomes back Quiet Clubbing Party for another round of dancing and fun – but this time with a twist! Guests are invited to dress like their favorite animal this Friday and dance the night away. The event coincides with the Animal Soul exhibit by artist Jason Hackenwerth where larger-than-life animal balloon sculptures will be displayed throughout the event.
9. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. Measure for Measure will be performed Wednesday through Sunday.
10. Champagne & Oysters Soirée at Mr. C Guests will enjoy endless pours of Veuve Clicquot Champagne and a feast of West and East Coast oysters and fresh shellfish from the raw bar. But the fun doesn’t stop there, tray-passed seafood hor d’oeuvres, Peroni Nastro Azzurro on draft and DJ spins tunes will have this party going all night long.
11. Eco friendly hot yoga studio Modo Yoga hosts donation based Karma Classes every Friday at their La Brea and Echo Park locations.
12. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series continues with a screening of Octopussy on July 14 and 15.
13. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with DJ Nights, curated by Monalisa at Grand Park. FREE
14. Westwood Village’s Cinema Under The Stars will host a screening of The Incredibles. Moviegoers are urged to bring lawn chairs, blankets, seat cushions, a picnic and more for their movie enjoyment.
15. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Monte Verde Park in Lakewood. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
16. Greenbar Distillery is hosting cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Friday with vodka, gin and whiskey cocktails.
17. AT&T and Warner Bros. Studio is hosting SHAPE, a Tech + Entertainment Expo July 14-15 that will explore the latest technology trends, including virtual reality, digital storytelling, interactive video and more. Tickets are currently available online for $100, however use the coupon code ShapeMeetup for free admission!
18. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with Riding Solo to the Top of the World (2006) at Distant Lands and The Martian (2015) at One Colorado. FREE
19. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with LLA Chamba on Friday. FREE
20. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
21. Outfest, L.A.’s signature LGBT film festival, returns this week with screenings at venues across Los Angeles. The 11-day event runs through July 16. Check for discounted tickets on Goldstar for select screenings. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. Downtown Los Angeles’ Union Station Metro Art presents legendary tap dancer Chester Witmore in a tap and jazz performance. FREE
Saturday July 15th, 2017
24. See lotus in full bloom during The 37th Annual Lotus Festival at Echo Park Lake (July 15-16). The two-day fest will include live entertainment, arts and crafts, a boat race, an asian food court, and plenty of opportunities to enjoy the blooming flowers and local wild life on the lake. FREE
25. Summer Movie Night brings Moana to the Lower L.A. River in South Gate. The event will feature informational booths, food trucks and family-fun activities. Bring a comfortable chair and blanket and take in the rare opportunity to view a movie inside the river channel. FREE
26. The Agenda Festival will feature 500+ pop-up shops from the best skate, surf, streetwear and lifestyle brands. Live performances from Tyler, the Creator, Ludacris, Cam’ron and more will pump up the crowd and guests can also check out the festival’s skating contests, art installations, food trucks, athlete meet-and-greets and panel discussions with musicians and designers. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. The Rooftop Cinema Series returns to Pasadena with free movie screenings featuring a DJ and family-friendly activities. This weekend see Fast & Furious 6 atop the Pasadena Towers. Come early to play ping-pong, corn hole, jenga, giant chess, Connect 4 and grab a bite from local food trucks and vendors. FREE
28. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Saturday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Saddleback College Summer Theater in Mission Viejo. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
29. The DT Stage Concert Series at Pershing Square returns every Saturday with free weekly shows featuring popular bands all summer long. The series kicks of with a concert by The Wallflowers. FREE
30. Tease, If You Please Burlesque Show staged at Globe Theatre spotlights acts from some of the most creative dancers in the business. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Explore vintage trains during Union Station’s Summer Train Fest which will feature beautifully restored train engines plus a kids zone, model trains, food trucks and live entertainment. FREE
32. Greenbar Distillery is hosting cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Saturday with a city series theme of London cocktails!
33. Eat|See|Hear brings a screening of The Sandlot at The Autry Museum.
34. Esotouric Bus Adventures presents The Real Black Dahlia a luxury coach tour exploring one of the most shocking crimes in Los Angeles history. This popular tour explores the victims past, her last days and who killed her. Check for discount tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
35. Simply Stylist a conference for connecting influencers, brands, industry thought leaders and consumers is taking place at The Grove this Saturday. Panel discussions, brand activations and pop-up shops are all part of the conference.
36. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier will host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This weekend surf band Neptune Cocktail will perform. FREE
37. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with Wreck-It Ralph (2012) at Central Park and Ocean’s Eleven (2001) at One Colorado. FREE
38. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with Dos Lobos – David Hidalgo & Cesar Rosas Of Los Lobos on Saturday. FREE
39. Street Food Cinema this Saturday features a special SFC camping event with a screening of Dirty Dancing in celebration of the 30th Anniversary, taking place at King Gillette Ranch in Malibu.
40. Grand Performances presents L’Orchestre Afrisa International with special guest Ricardo Lemvo on Saturday. FREE
41. Movie Picnic Night at Alhambra Park is a free Chinese outdoor movie showcasing Chinese language films with subtitles. This year they are mixing it up with American films as well, this weekend they will screen Lego Movie. FREE
Sunday July 16th, 2017
42. Santa Monica’s Frozen Fruit Co turns one this year and to celebrate the anniversary as well as National Ice Cream Day they’ll be giving away free cups of their signature soft serve on Sunday July 16. Soft serve is made entirely of fruit and natural fruit sugars so you won’t feel guilty eating it! Grab a free cup between 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
43. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Sunday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Saddleback College Summer Theater in Mission Viejo. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
44. DTLA Breweries United Fest will help you discover and enjoy the brews of Downtown! Get a taste of limited edition and specialty beers from Angel City Brewery, Arts District Brewing, Dry River Brewing, Indie Brewing Company, Boomtown Brewery, Iron Triangle Brewing Company and Mumford Brewing and more.
45. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with Silk Road on Sunday. FREE
46. Shakespeare’s enchanting A Midsummer Night’s Dream returns to Topanga Canyon’s Theatricum Botanicum for ten performances throughout the summer with their signature production in a uniquely rustic outdoor theater surrounded by oak trees.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]