As you probably already know we do a twice-weekly rundown of our favorite to-dos and happenings around Los Angeles (pushed out Monday AM and Thursday AM).
However, it occurs to us that sometimes event-seekers just want stuff that’s down-and-dirty, cheap-and-easy. With that in mind, here are 10 quick, fun ideas for this weekend each costing less than $10 that might be good to keep on your radar. For all prices listed we’ll generally note the true cost including any service fees, as sometimes is the case with our ticket-affiliate partner Goldstar.
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
10 for $10 or Less
1. [FREE] There’s an opening reception for Scott Hove’s immersive cake-themed infinity chamber in Chinatown this Friday. FRIDAY
2. [FREE] Free museum admission at: Norton Simon Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Pasadena Museum of California Art (noon to 5 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art. FRIDAY
3. [FREE] Head to downtown Hermosa Beach for Fiesta Hermosa Sep. 2-4 for one of the largest arts and crafts fairs in Southern California. Hosting over 300 artists, expect live music, a beer & wine garden and a kiddie carnival to entertain all day long. SATURDAY-MONDAY
4. [FREE] There’s an opening reception for art duo kozyndan titled The Golden State at Gregorio Escalante Gallery in Chinatown. Guests will have a chance to view new work and installations that pay homage to the culture of California. SATURDAY
5 [FREE] KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Saturday they’ll takeover Chinatown with KCRW DJs Travis Holcombe and Raul Campos. SATURDAY
6. [FREE] 68th Annual Long Beach Greek Festival is back this Labor Day weekend (Sep 2-3) with authentic Greek food, music and lots of dancing. FREE
7. [FREE] Broad Fest comes to The Broad Stage in Santa Monica this Sunday for an afternoon of music, food and interactive entertainment. Enjoy a variety of musical performances, talks from Santa Monica College and Heal The Bay and even learn to tango, hula hoop, and participate in some arts and crafts – the possibilities are endless. SUNDAY
8. [FREE] Delicious Pizza will host their first West Adams Block Party with a free party featuring performances by Talib Kweli, Doug E. Fresh and more. SUNDAY
9. [FREE] Send off summer poolside at Skybar Mondrian with sounds from Them Jeans, DJ Zo, Bella Fiasco, Sasha Marie (Soulection) and Suga Shay. There will be flowing drinks, pool floaties galore, beautiful views and Hip-Hop and R&B music all day long. MONDAY
10. [FREE] California Sol at the Ace Upstairs in DTLA celebrates Labor Day with a special edition of the their weekly party featuring guest DJ’s and more. Swimsuits are strongly encouraged, party is free and open to the public 21+. MONDAY
5 MORE Options…
Here are 5 other things to do this weekend that may not be under $10 but still are worth knowing about:
- The Los Angeles Times, The Taste returns to Paramount Studios Sep. 1-3 for five amazing food-centric events with some of L.A.’s best chefs, restaurateurs and mixologists over Labor Day weekend. FRIDAY-SUNDAY
- Step out in your most stylish attire during Dapper Day at LACMA for a full day of fashion, art, film, music and dancing. Enjoy docent-led tours, watch a screening of 1948 gem The Red Shoes, enjoy a picnic on the lawn or dine at Ray’s & Stark Bar at this popular gathering. SATURDAY
- Made in L.A. is coming to Golden Road Brewing this Labor Day Weekend Sep 2-3 with a music and arts festival at their Glendale hangout. The festival is meant to celebrate Los Angeles-based creators and the diverse communities of L.A. through music, art, local charity support and, of course, beer. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. SATURDAY-SUNDAY (via Goldstar)
- The 6th Annual Power Fest is returning to South Los Angeles on Saturday for a day of celebration, education, and empowerment. This free annual music festival aims to empower citizens, by focusing on education on the upcoming election and promote voting on important local and state ballot initiatives. SATURDAY
- Dive into the pool at Viceroy in Santa Monica as they host a Labor Day pool party. The party will have a DJ, cocktails, beachballs and more. MONDAY
Make sure to sign-up for our email list so you’re always in the loop regarding happenings around the city.