Don’t sleep on the art and culture of Los Angeles, especially when it comes to what’s happening in downtown.
Case in point, Grand Ave Arts: All-Access, a day-long event scheduled for October 24 that features a cross-coordination of freebies hosted at The Broad, MOCA, Grand Park, The Walt Disney Concert Hall, and more!
The day will include open rehearsals at the LA Opera, architecture tours, museum exhibitions, performances, food and drink, kids film screening, and a brand new art installation.
Best part? Attendance for any and all events is FREE.
Among the notable attractions are a massive Día de los Muertos art installation, including more than 75 altars and stunning art pieces enhanced by dance performances, spanning both The Music Center Plaza and Grand Park, plus the brand new Broad Museum will be offering free architectural tours, and you’ll also be able to behind-the-scenes tours of the Disney Concert Hall, Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum, and more!
Umm…so yeah, basically an entire day jammed packed with free stuff, all within a six-block stretch of Grand Ave.
Complete list of the day’s events below (and there’s A LOT of them).
- Architectural tours of The Broad Museum.
- Live a cappella performances by the Grammy-nominated Los Angeles Master Chorale.
- A working orchestra rehearsal of LA Opera’s production of Jake Heggie’s opera Moby-Dick; plus a recital featuring singers from LA Opera’s prestigious Domingo-Colburn-Stein Young Artist Program; and an exhibition of LA Opera costumes, wigs, set design and more at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion.
- A Día de los Muertos art installation that bridges The Music Center Plaza and Grand Park.
- Free admission to MOCA.
- Behind-the-scenes tours of The Music Center’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Ahmanson Theatre, Mark Taper Forum and Frank Gehry-designed Walt Disney Concert Hall, for which visitors will get the rare opportunity to see inside the auditorium.
- Center Theatre Group-sponsored family crafts and activities based on the play The Sound of Music.
- Screenings of award-winning short animated children’s films at REDCAT.
- The Los Angeles Philharmonic’s VAN Beethoven.
- Los Angeles Central Library’s exhibition “To Live and Dine in LA.”
- Guided tours of the Colburn School.
Again, it’s all FREE and it all goes down on Saturday, October 24 from 10:00am to 5:00pm along Grand Avenue, between Temple Street and 6th Street. No advanced reservations are required!
For more information on what each venue and event will be offering, visit grandavearts.tumblr.com.