Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, December 11 to Friday, December 15, features Saber Battle L.A., Flavors of Mexico, Candytopia, CHILL at the Queen Mary, TAPPAN Open Studios, Downtown Art Walk and MUCH more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday December 11th, 2017
1. Los Angeles Times true-crime podcast Dirty John tells the true tale of a diabolical con man who married a rich Newport Beach woman and turned her life upside down. It quickly became the #1 podcast on iTunes for 31 days. Dirty John Live will offer an expert panel breaking down the story, sharing inside info and playing never-heard-before audio at the Theatre at Ace Hotel.
2. The Hammer Museum in Westwood is once again home to The Contenders, the Museum of Modern Art’s acclaimed series of ten influential, innovative films from the past 12 months. The series continues with screenings Monday through Thursday that include Lady Bird, The Big Sick and more.
3. CGV Cinemas Buena Park is hosting a free 4DX Film Festival December 11-14 screening blockbusters that include Jurassic World, Minions, Fate of the Furious, and Furious 7. FREE
4. The Wallis presents Social Activism & the Arts: Lessons from the Legacy of Dick Gregory. FREE
5. Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is one of the most popular weekly variety shows happening on a Monday in Los Angeles.
6. Get ready for another season of ice-skating in Downtown Los Angeles when the Bai Holiday Ice Rink returns to Pershing Square from November 16 through January 15, 2018. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
7. Join Boomtown Brewery for Monday Movie Nights, a new monthly movie screening in their private event space set up with comfy couches, craft beers, popcorn and an option to order from Purgatory Pizza. This week they will screen Die Hard. FREE
Tuesday December 12th, 2017
8. Learn about the many vibrant regional cuisines of Mexico through in-depth lectures, cooking demonstrations, tastings, and hands-on participation during Flavors of Mexico. Taking place at the Skirball Cultural Center, the monthly series concludes with Bricia Lopez of Guelaguetza sharing her recipe for Oaxacan mole.
9. Spamilton a parody that celebrates and roasts the Broadway musical will make its West Coast premiere at the Kirk Douglas Theatre in Culver City. Happening throughout the week. Happening Tuesday through Friday. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
10. Rooftop Cinema Club Ultimate Holiday Movie Series will host a month-long schedule of Christmas inspired movie screenings from December 1-23. The series continues this Tuesday through Friday with screenings that include Love Actually, Elf and more.
11. The Heart of Robin Hood offers a fresh take on the most infamous of outlaws from writer David Farr (The Night Manager). Playing at The Wallis from November 29 through December 17.
12. See the twinkling lights taking over our city during the Holiday Lights tour of Downtown Los Angeles. The tour is two hours long and starts at Union Station in the evening and ends at Pershing Square. Happening throughout the week.
13. Free admission at: Los Angeles County Museum of Art and Autry National Center of the American West
Wednesday December 13th, 2017
14. CHILL Adventure Park returns to the Queen Mary in Long Beach from December 13 through January 7. Come experience ice bumper cars, ice skating, an Alpine Zip Line and more chill themed activities. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. There’s a Silent Discos Skate Party at the Bai Holiday Ice Rink in Pershing Square this Wednesday.
16. Art gallery TAPPAN is hosting an Open Studio Event celebrating artists in its residency program. The event gives the public the opportunity to meet Tappan artists and enjoy a glass of wine while connecting through conversation. FREE
17. Justin Long and CHVRCHES present A Holiday Variety Show happening at The Henry Fonda Theatre filled with music and comedy benefiting the Girls Home and No Kid Hungry charities. Music include members of Death Cab For Cutie, CHVRCHES, Muna and more. Comedy performances include Nick Kroll, Reggie Watts, Cameron Esposito to name a few.
18. 260LA will host a J Brand Sample Sale at their Beverly Hills location from December 13-17. Score premium denim items for men and women at steep discounted prices of up to 70% off.
19. Something Rotten!, a hilarious new musical comedy tells the story of brothers playwrights overshadowed by the great Will Shakespeare. Follow them as they try to steal the spotlight and end up unexpectedly end up writing the world’s very first musical. The show runs November 21 through December 30. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. There’s a DIY Holiday Workshop happening at Angel City Brewery this Wednesday. Learn to make non-toxic body scrubs using natural ingredients. A donation of $20 is suggested and includes a pint of beer.
21. Enchanted: Forest of Light is in full swing at Descanso Gardens offering guests a colorful one-mile path walk through 10 distinct light displays at unique points within the garden including the Oak Grove and the Japanese Garden. The event runs until January 6, 2018. Check for discount tickets while supplies. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
22. The Grand Chapiteau at Dodger Stadium will be home to Cirque du Soleil’s new big-top show LUZIA. Inspired by the rich culture Mexico, the dazzling acrobatic performance will be heightened by brassy Mexican and Latin American sounds. Happening all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Schmabaret! a raunchy comedy cabaret starring Adam Ceschin and Carolyn Jania will take over Bar 10 in West Hollywood for a night of original comedy songs in all genre stylings covering taboo topics and recently the ridiculous political climate. FREE
24. The Holiday Light Festival Train Ride at Griffith Park is a festive one mile ride on the tracks with tens of thousands of lights to get you in the Holiday spirit. Running now through December 23 and then again from December 26 to December 30.
25. The USC Pacific Asia Museum in Pasadena is reopening to the public this Friday. To celebrate the museum will offer free admission from December 8-17. Among the exhibitions on view will be Winds from Fusang: Mexico and China in the Twentieth Century, which showcases the connection between the creative communities of Mexico and China in the last century, and is presented as part of Pacific Standard Time: LA/LA. FREE
Thursday December 14th, 2017
26. The Rink in Downtown Burbank returns with a festive ice-skating event from December 14 through January 7. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
27. Head to the Skirball for Whiskey & Appetizers: A Hanukkah Cocktail Party this Thursday. There will be a whiskey connoisseur and perfectly paired appetizers with a cooking demo and Q&A to end the evening.
28. Downtown Art Walk brings art enthusiasts and locals together every second Thursday of each month to take part in gallery tours, shop the art mart and sample nearby food trucks, and experience the overall flavor of the downtown Los Angeles Historic Core.
29. National Geographic Live returns to the Broad Stage in Santa Monica with Cristina Mittermeier, marine biologist/photographer on December 14-15. Check for discount tickets while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
30. The Sorting Room winter session is in full swing with eclectic performances spread over two weeks (through December 21). Each show includes special happy hour drink deals beforehand, with featured talent ranging from poets to composers, jazz singers, Tony Award winners and cabaret singers. This week features Titanique on Thursday and Clint Holmes on Friday.
31. Rockwell: Table & Stage present the unauthorized musical parody of John Hughes classic Home Alone. Happening Thursday through the weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
32. Free admission at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.) FREE
Friday December 15, 2017
33. Saber Battle L.A. is a massive showdown at Pershing Square in DTLA. Hundreds of participants will come out to ‘battle’ one another using toy lightsabers. The event itself is free to attend but lightsabers are available to purchase online for delivery or to pickup on site. Be sure to check for discounts on lightsaber packages while supplies last. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
34. Candytopia is the latest pop-up experience taking over L.A. featuring various candy-inspired rooms and installations like a marshmallow tsunamis and other edible surprises. Taking place at the LA Hangar Studios in Boyle Heights, Candytopia will run until March 15, 2018.
35. Star Wars: The Last Jedi will screen at the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood starting this Friday. Experience an intergalactic Laser Lightsaber Show before the movie and check out real costumes from the film up close. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. The Battleship IOWA will host a Holiday Movie Screening of “Frozen” on the fantail of their historic ship. Seating is first come first served. FREE
37. Sherman Oaks resident Mike Ziemkowski’s elaborate Christmas themed animatronic characters will return once again with Lights on Display a dazzling light show with a playlist of holiday tunes spun by the beloved DJ Jingles. The show runs every night until January 1, 2018. FREE
38. California Market Center, in the heart of Downtown Los Angeles’ Garment District, opens to the pubic for a big sample sale this Friday (just in time for holiday shopping!).
39. A Taste of the Holidays Christmas Market taking place at Crafted at The Port of Los Angeles December 15-17 is a festive european-style shopping event with live music, dancing, DIY holiday crafts, a Christmas tree lot, Brouwerij West’s Holiday Brew and photos with Santa.
40. See the merriest Christmas light show in the city at City Blessing Church in Walnut during Lights on Miracle Hill: 12 Days of Christmas every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday from December 1-24.
41. Take a Downtown Los Angeles foodie walking tour and savor what the bustling neighborhood has to offer. The tour is three hours long, participants will stop at six popular spots to eat and the tour guide will take folks through the history of DTLA. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
42. The Artisanal LA x Bunker Hill Holiday Pop-Up returns to the Bank of America Plaza in DTLA from 10 a.m to 4 p.m. with 20+ makers of handcrafted goods and treats plus a live DJ and a festive photo booth. Admission is free to the public.
43. Happy Place brings a bright and immersive pop-up experience to the Arts District starting today. Capture perfect Instagram moments and enjoy sweet treats as you journey through one-of-a-kind installations designed to make you smile. Runs on select dates through January 7, 2018.
44. One of L.A.’s most magical holiday traditions, LA Zoo Lights returns November 17 through January 7 with thousands upon thousands of LED lights glowing up the zoo. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
45. Get into the winter spirit when ICE at Santa Monica returns with a 8,000 square foot ice skating rink. Running November 1, 2017 through January 5, 2018.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]