Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, May 8 to Friday, May 12, features Haagen Dazs free cone day, free admission at LACMA, the Los Angeles Times Night Market, the DTLA Art Walk, a Paul Simon exhibit at Skirball, NatGeo Live!, and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday May 8th, 2017
1. Delta Airlines and Vice present Launchpad LA, a FREE event exploring the filmmaking process from pre-production to post. Curated by Vice and taking place from May 5 to 10, Launchpad LA will feature intimate daily workshops, panel discussions, virtual reality demos and screenings with industry talent and pros, including Sam De Jong (Prince), Ethan Tobman (Room), Danny Gabai (Vice Films) and more. FREE
2. The call it They call it “literature as bloodsport” see it for yourself when Write Club Los Angeles returns to The Bootleg Theater this Monday.
3. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony by showcasing a rotating cast of award-winning magicians from the likes of the Magic Castle, Penn & Teller: Fool Us, America’s Got Talent and more during Magic Mondays at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. “Nordic: A Photographic Essay of Landscapes, Food and People” opens for it’s only L.A. showing at Union Station’s Historic Waiting Room. This unique exhibition document the origins of Nordic cuisine through the eyes of Mangus Nilsson, a top chef who traveled for two years through Denmark, the Faroe Islands, Finland, Greenland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden, collecting traditional recipes and photographing the region’s landscapes and people. FREE
5. Architect Frank Lloyd Wright’s gorgeous Hollyhock House will be used as a theater for the very first time when Fefu and Her Friends plays throughout the month of May in honor of the 150th anniversary of the esteemed architect’s birth.
6. The Standard in association with Cinefamily’s Fight The Power series will screen 1984 on the rooftop of the Hollywood hotel. Space is limited, early arrival is strongly encouraged. RSVP here.
7. A new weekly comedy show with Charla Lauriston and Nicole Byer at the Copper Still in Koreatown is about help you get over the Monday blues. Velvet will feature a rotating roster of comics every week! FREE
8. The Rebecca Minkoff Sample Sale (May 8-15) is going to be huge! Shop the designer’s bestselling bags, womenswear, and even footwear for up to 70% at her Melrose boutique and online.
9. The Queen Mary introduces Ships & Giggles Comedy Night featuring some of the best comedians aboard the majestic ship. Happening every second Monday of each month in the Observation Bar.
Tuesday May 9th, 2017
10. The Chamber Music Nights series at Walt Disney Concert Hall is the perfect evening. Guests will have a chance to taste delicious wines, explore the iconic Frank Gehry architecture and indulge in some world-class chamber music. Check for discounted admission before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
11. Häagen-Dazs Free Cone Day returns on Tuesday. From 4-8 p.m. score one free ice cream cone at participating Häagen-Dazs stores. FREE
12. Escape Room LA: The Theatre has you trapped inside a creepy theater haunted by a ghost. The only way out is to uncover clues and puzzles to release the ghost before time runs out. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Laemmle Theatres presents a Q&A with Oscar-winning actress Kim Basinger and a 20th anniversary screening of L.A. Confidential.
14. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 from Marvel Studios will be screening a the El Capitan Theatre all week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
15. Free admission days this Tuesday for: Los Angeles County Museum of Art and Autry Museum of the American West. FREE
Wednesday May 10th, 2017
16. The 5th Annual Bartending Competition returns to the JW Marriott Los Angeles every Wednesday from May 10 to 24. Watch some of LA’s best bartenders compete during the May Mix-off at the Mixing Room. Attendees will enjoy complimentary, beautifully crafted samples of signature cocktails during the free event.
17. 1st Annual Los Angeles Times Night Market (May 10-14) will take over Grand Park with a free, all ages event where visitors pay al a carte as they dine. Expect 50 food booths from LA’s favorite restaurants, bars to food trucks. Guests can also purchase $10 “The Super Market” tickets, which will allow access to a selection of food vendors, additional seating areas, bars, premium lounges and entertainment. FREE
18. Radio Picture Show , a monthly storytelling event, is back at The Virgil this week with tales inspired by songs and images.
Thursday May 11th, 2017
19. Experience the food and culture of East Hollywood’s ethnic neighborhoods through a four hour foodie tour. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
20. The L.A. Zoo is celebrating their 50th anniversary with a sustainable wine and dinner series. Each event will include a five-course farm-to-table dinner accompanied by wine from local vineyards. There will also be a zoo walk-through with education and entertainment highlights, along with up-close animal encounters. On May 11 Palumbo Wines from Temecula will be the featured winery.
21. The monthly Los Angeles Downtown Art Walk May 2017 edition features a special dedication to independent Los Angeles publications and zine, including work by Lawrence Lindell Studios, Chrysopoeia, Asymmetric Magazine, Roustan Bodypaint, Genevieve Munroe Co., Annie Nishida, PopOok!!, BOOMCAT, Plant Bunnies, and more. FREE
22. L.A. Urban Adventures invites you to relive Old Hollywood by taking a stroll down the Hollywood Walk of Fame while stopping to hear stories about historic spots, sample drinks made famous during the Golden Age and try out local street food. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. Free admission days this Thursday for: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.).
Friday May 12th, 2017
24. On Friday, experience the work of Paul Simon like never before. Hosted at the Skirball Cultural Center, this free event gives guests an opportunity to enjoy the Paul Simon: Words & Music exhibition at night. FREE
25. For one night only, radio, podcast and talk show fans will get a chance to see, hear and meet some of their favorite hosts during Radiotopia Live at the Ace Hotel in Downtown Los Angeles.
26. Downtown Los Angeles’ Union Station is playing host to a new film series this spring called Sci-Fi At Union Station. Catch an iconic science fiction movie partially set in the City of Angels.! The series concludes with the screening of Them!. FREE
27. NatGeo Live! series brings Pulitzer-winning photojournalist Lynsey Addario to the Fred Kavli Theatre at Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Plaza. Hear Addario talk about the war-torn countries she bravely documents for TIME, National Geographic and The New York Times. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
28. The Groundlings: The Completely Different Late Show is a hilarious improv show by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company. Audience shout suggestions throughout the night for improvisational scenes performed by some of the best in the business. It’s also a testing ground for brand new material for the Groundlings’ main show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
29. The James Perse Sample Sale (May 12-14) will take place in Marina Del Rey and will carry mens, womens, kids, furniture and accessories.
30. The Petersen Automotive Museum is hosting its first-ever Museum After Hours this Friday. Guests will be able to take guided tours of the famous vault, enjoy tunes by DJ Sam Kofa and complimentary cocktails. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
31. Free admission days this Friday: Long Beach Museum of Art
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org.