Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the city you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, July 18 to Friday, July 22, features Alcove Movie Night, Dapper Day at LACMA, The Silver Lake Picture Show, Taste of the Farmers Market, the Port of L.A. Lobster Festival, at and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday July 18th, 2016
1. On the third Monday of each month Alcove hosts a free movie screening under the stars with themed food and drinks. This week it’s Almost Famous. FREE
2. Every third Monday of the month head to Santa Monica to the gorgeous Victorian at The Basement Tavern to see top comedy headliners for free! This month Bryan Callen will take the stage. FREE
3. Come on out to Angel City Brewery in DTLA’s Arts District as they host one epic game night that includes 15+ Board Games, 8+ beers on tap, a 3-round cornhole Tournament and one geeky host. FREE
4. Every week the the team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony with Magic Monday at The Santa Monica Playhouse. DISCOUNTED
5. L.A. Restaurant Week a.k.a. Dine L.A. (July 18-31) is a 14 day food event at over 300 restaurants across Los Angeles County. Each restaurant will host unique pre fixe menus for guests to expereince at a special price.
6. View the new exhibition dedicated to Pterosaurs, a species of giant flying dinosaurs at the Natural History Museum.
Tuesday July 19th, 2016
7. Taste of Farmers Market returns with a one-day event featuring over 50 restaurants, grocers, and eateries all at the Original Farmers Market doling out samples and their signature eats.
8. Guided Sunset Walk at the Griffith Observatory is a free event lead by a Park Ranger and Museum Guide. Runs 7:50-8:50 p.m. FREE
9. Union Station 360° will take viewers on an interactive journey through the culture of Los Angeles via a series of cinemagraphs projected on a 30-foot-high sphere that will broadcast hypnotic soundscapes and can respond to viewers movements. Free and open to the public through July 24.
10. Sweet Rose Creamery in Studio City is hosting free summer screenings every Tuesday. This week they will screen Casablanca. FREE
11. Moonlight Movies on the Beach screenings take place at Granada Beach in Belmont Shore. This week it’s Finding Nemo. FREE
12. Roundabout Theatre Company’s production of Cabaret comes to the Hollywood Pantages. This Tony-winning musical takes you into the Kit Kat Klub where a unground cabaret plays escape from pre-WWII Berlin. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
13. Tony award winning musical Grey Gardens has performances all week at the Ahmanson Theatre. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
14. LACMA Tuesday Matinee Film Series screens James and the Giant Peach.
15. Food truck night at the California Heritage Museum features a big selection of tasty food trucks (5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.) FREE
16. World Rhythms at Descanso Gardens features world music and dance performances in a gorgeous garden setting every Tuesday from June 7 to July 26 from 6-7 p.m.
17. Los Angeles Swim Week (July 19-20) takes place at the Skirball Cultural Center and showcases the latest in swimwear fashion and accessories.
18. Explore the food and drink scene through tasty samples during Belmont Shore’s Stroll and Savor event happening July 20-21.
19. Free Museums This Tuesday
- On every third Tuesday of the month Descanso Gardens is free of charge. FREE
- Los Angeles County Arboretum is also free on the third Tuesdays of every month. FREE
- The South Coast Botanic Garden has free admission every third Tuesday of the month. FREE
Wednesday July 20th, 2016
20. The Super Serious Show is a monthly comedy event featuring both established and up-and-coming talent performing an array of stand-up, sketch and musical comedy. This month it’s their 6th anniversary and some heavy hitters like Reggie Watts and Jimmy Prado will be on the bill!
21. Shakespeare takes over Griffith Park with free donation-based shows, this weeks performance of Richard III runs Wednesday through Sunday. Although it’s free our friends at Goldstar is offering complimentary reserved spaces in prime viewing areas for those who reserve under them!
22. The Grove hosts a free summer concert series every week this month. This week Smash Mouth with Brian Vander Ark will perform. FREE
23. Monkey Town is a pop-up dinner series with an immersive 27-foot video installation cube in which you will dine inside of on a 5-course meal prepared by chef Nick Montgomery of Osso. Happening Wednesday-Sunday.
24. Vinoteque on Melrose hosts a trivia night on their patio every Wednesday at 8p.m. FREE
25. From July 11-22 The Red Bull Music Academy’s RBMA Radio will be broadcasting live from a DTLA studio while hosting various music-related pop-ups throughout the city. This Wednesday PC Music presents POP City.
26. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Cymbeline at Point Fermin Park. FREE
27. Get your sun salutations on during Grand Park’s lunch time free yoga class stop by at 12:15 p.m. yoga runs till 1 p.m. FREE
28. Take in some laughs and great margaritas when Very Forward a free monthly female driven stand-up show comes to Malo in Silver Lake. FREE
Thursday July 21st, 2016
29. Creamistry Torrance grand opening with FREE ice cream from 2-4 p.m. FREE
30. The Silver Lake Picture Show is a free, summer-long community series that screens popular films in a picnic-like setting at Sunset Triangle Plaza. This week they are screening Romeo + Juliet. FREE
31. As part of KCRW Summer Nights The Hammer Museum presents Disappear Here with Ceci Bastida + KCRW DJ Anthony Valadez.. Show runs 6:30-10:30 p.m. FREE
32. The Sizzling Summer Nights returns at the Autry’s outdoor patio featuring some of LA’s best salsa and Latin fusion bands. Guests will enjoy weekly free dance lessons with award-winning salsa instructor Enio Cordoba, as well as margaritas, tacos and more.
33. Church LA Summer Sessions at Osso in Downtown will host a record pop-up by WaxaddictLA from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m.
34. Fruit is a summer group art show at La-La Land Gallery happening this Thursday. Expect 15 artist from SHAG to Kii Arens presenting works themed around fruit. Expect a DJ, drinks and a fruit stand to complete the night!
35. Throwback Thursdays at NOHO cinema screens The Shining this week. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
36. Grand Performances in DTLA will host a happy hour with Congo Mashup with DJ Garth Trinidad. FREE
37. Alpine Village celebrates Reinheitsgebot 500 Years of German Beer by giving guest a taste of true German brews at an affordable price of $4-$5. Try the legendary Weihenstephaner 1516 made by the oldest brewery in the world (operating since, 1040!) for only $5!
38. Free Museums This Thursday
- The Pasadena Museum of California Art has free admission from 5 to 8 p.m. on the third Thursday of every month. FREE
- The Japanese American National Museum offers free admission from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. every Thursday. FREE
- Every Thursday evening from 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. admission is free to both the MOCA on Grand and The Geffen Contemporary. FREE
- The Skirball Cultural Center is free to all every Thursday. FREE
Friday July 22nd, 2016
39. The Port of Los Angeles Lobster Festival in San Pedro is a three-day experience (July 22-24) filled with fresh lobster, live entertainment, and about the freshest Maine lobster you’re going to find on the west coast.
40. 626 Night Market will take over Santa Anita Park with food vendors offering unique cuisine and merchandise, along with fun activities for all ages.
41. Dress to impress during Dapper Day & Jazz at LACMA this Friday. Your ticket also includes entrance to the Reigning Men: Fashion in Menswear!
42. At Natural History Museum’s Summer Nights in The Garden you can sip on nature-inspired cocktails while enjoying summer tunes. The event is free with RSVP. FREE
43. Tony Award-winning puppet musical Avenue Q continues at the Cupcake Theater for a marvelous (and hilarious) look at trying to make it as an adult in NYC. DISCOUNTED all weekend (via Goldstar)
44. Summertime Cinema at Westfield Culver City will screen Inside Out. FREE
45. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema screens two films this Friday 10 Things I Hate About You at One Colorado and Into The Wild at Distant Lands Travel Book Store. FREE
46. Shakespeare By The Sea will host a performance of Cymbeline at Marine Mammal Care Center. FREE
47. Barnsdall Park’s Friday Night Wine Tasting happens all summer long. Guests will enjoy fine wine, art in the gardens and and live music.
48. The Completely Different Late Show performed by the cast of the Groundlings’ Main Company will have you crying tears of laughter this Friday night. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
49. Westfield Summertime Cinema at Fashion Square in Sherman Oaks will screen Grease. FREE
50. Grand Performances in DTLA with swinging electro-gypsy jazz band Ginkgoa. FREE
51. The Virus: An Immersive Escape Room Experience happening all weekend. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
52. Check out some extreme sports at DEW Tour taking place at the Long Beach Convention Center July 22-24.
53. Free Museums This Friday
- The Museum of Latin American Art is free on the fourth Friday of every month from 5 to 9 p.m. FREE
- The Long Beach Museum of Art is free from 3 – 8 p.m every Friday. FREE
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at [email protected]