Every week in Los Angeles there are tons of great things to do (even before the weekend gets started) that we think you ought to have on your radar. With that in mind, we put together a list every Monday morning to keep you in the know about what’s happening in the scity you love (or maybe just like).
This week, from Monday, July 3 to Friday, July 7, features 4th of July in Los Angeles, Harry Potter at the Hollywood Bowl, KCRW Summer Nights at the Hammer Museum, First Fridays and LOTS more.
Remember you can always go to our L.A. events calendar page to get an updated rundown of what’s happening around the city.
Hope you find the rundown useful and, as always, enjoy your week!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundown sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program.]
Keep in mind that while we retain complete editorial control of our content, for some of the ticketing options provided we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links.
Monday July 3rd, 2017
1. The Anime Expo will take over the Los Angeles Convention Center from July 1 through 4. The expo features panels, Q&A’s, workshops, video rooms and autograph areas. Notable guest include Manga artist/illustrator duo, Akira Himekawa, the creators of ALICE IN DISSONANCE, YouTube personality AmaLee and Tokyo DJ banvox.
2. Angel City Brewery presents Merica Fest (July 2-3) a backyard style party featuring red, white & blue beers, rockin’ live music, Merica costume contest and Angel City’s classic board game selection and cornhole!
3. The team from Smoke and Mirrors aims to add a little razzle-dazzle to your Monday monotony by showcasing a rotating cast of award-winning magicians at The Santa Monica Playhouse. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. Monday is David Bowie Nite at Echoplex.
5. The Business LA is a free comedy show at Little Joy featuring some of the best local comics in town. FREE
Tuesday July 4th, 2017
6. Grand Park’s 4th of July Block Party is a full day and night of live music, dancing, 30+ food trucks, and spectacular fireworks!
7. Fireworks are going off at the Rose Bowl for Americafest. Going strong for 91 years now this is a beloved tradition for locals and tourist alike.
8. Feast on gourmet food and enjoy fireworks at the CBS Studio Center during the 4th of July Fireworks & VIP Celebration.
9. Celebrate America oceanside during the Redondo Beach 4th of July Fireworks at Seaside Lagoon. The wild party will feature giant inflatable slides, a DJ playing both patriotic and party music and more.
10. See a fireworks show complete with synchronized music on the Westside during July 4th at the Marina.
11. The Hollywood Bowl will host a performance from three-time Grammy-winning a cappella ensemble Pentatonix with a fireworks show unlike any other for the 4th of July.
12. Celebrate Independence Day in an old-timey fashion in Topanga Canyon. Theatricum Botanicum’s 3rd Annual Independence Day Old Fashioned Barn Dance and Barbecue features innocent pleasures from days of yore, like a pie-eating contest, watermelon seed-spitting contest, horseshoes, and more.
13. Fireworks, food trucks, live music, games and prizes add up to a day of family fun during the Culver City Fourth of July Fireworks Show.
14. Spend an evening poolside and beneath the stars enjoying dinner, cocktails and a classic film as Mr. C’s Poolside Cinema returns with a screening of Miss Congeniality.
***If you need more ideas on how to spend your 4th of July holiday, check out our rundown of 16 Cool Things to do For the 4th of July in Los Angeles (2017) that includes block parties, fireworks extravaganzas, barn dances, and more.***
Wednesday July 5th, 2017
15. The Yamashiro Farmers Market returns with its signature nighttime market perched high atop the Hollywood hill. Yamashiro has one of the best views in Los Angeles and each Wednesday evening they host food trucks, farm fresh produce booths, wine, fresh baked goods, flowers and more.
16. Spend a Night at the Aquarium of the Pacific and explore the aquarium after hours. Happening Wednesday and Thursday. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
17. Enjoy some free Shakespeare this summer when the Independent Shakespeare Co. returns for the 8th year in a row with free/donation-based performances at the Old Zoo in Griffith Park. Measure for Measure will be performed Wednesday through Sunday.
Thursday July 6th, 2017
18. Harry Potter and the Chambers of Secrets in Concert comes to the Hollywood Bowl for a revival of the second film in the series with a full-blown orchestra! The Los Angeles Philharmonic will perform the sensational sounds of John Williams’ score, so prepare to relive the magic of this film projected in high definition on the big screen! Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
19. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Thursday they’ll be performing Macbeth at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
20. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with Song of the Sea (2014) at Flower Pepper Gallery, 121 E. Union St. FREE
21. KCRW’s 2017 edition of Summer Nights is a free all ages outdoor music series happening throughout the summer. This Thursday they’ll take over the Hammer Museum with Grace Mitchell and Wargirl and KCRW DJ Valida. FREE
22. Play Indiana Jones for a day with Escape Room LA: The Cavern. Find clues and solve puzzles to get your hands on a lost civilization’s ancient treasures hundreds of feet below Downtown Los Angeles! DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
23. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week with The Regrettes and The Tracks on Thursday. FREE
24. City of San Gabriel’s annual Summer Night concerts & movies returns this week with The Band Fresh (Top 40) at Vincent Lugo Park FREE
25. Summer of Music at Redondo Pier will host free concerts every Thursday and Saturday highlighting a slew of genres. This week Americana musician Popravinas will perform. FREE
26. Summer Movie Fest at Cal State Northridge is a free weekly movie night taking place at dusk on CSUN’s Oviatt Library Lawn. The series continues with Captain America: Civil War. FREE
27. Free museum day at: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.), MOCA Grand & MOCA Geffen (from 5 to 8 p.m.), Skirball Cultural Center and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
Friday July 7th, 2017
28. Catch a flick on the rooftop of the Ritz-Carlton in Downtown Los Angeles during Summer Supper + Show Series presented by WP24 by Wolfgang Puck. The series kicks off with a screening of Singin’ in the Rain on July 7 and 8.
29. The Music Center’s Dance DTLA series returns this week with Line Dance & Two-Step at Grand Park. FREE
30. Shakespeare By The Sea returns with free performances for the summer. This Friday they’ll be performing The Taming of the Shrew at Point Fermin Park in San Pedro. While admission is free encourage donations to help support the play. FREE
31. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban in Concert comes to the Hollywood Bowl on July 7 and 8 for a revival of the third film in the series with a full-blown orchestra! The Los Angeles Philharmonic will perform the sensational sounds of John Williams’ score, so prepare to relive the magic of this film projected in high definition on the big screen!
32. Greenbar Distillery is hosting cocktail classes in Downtown LA this Friday with vodka, gin and rum cocktails.
33. Celebrate summer in Monterey Park with free outdoor movies with your friends and family. During Summer Movie Nights, five different parks in Monterey Park will host movie screenings. The series continues with La La Land. FREE
34. The Levitt Pavilion in McArthur Park continue their annual free concert series this week withWestern Standard Time on Friday. FREE
35. Eco friendly hot yoga studio Modo Yoga hosts donation based Karma Classes every Friday at their La Brea and Echo Park locations.
36. Old Pasadena Summer Cinema is back for 2017 with free movie screenings from July 1-29 at a variety of indoor and outdoor locations throughout the Old Town area. The series continues with two screenings. Samsara (2011) at Distant Lands, 20 S. Raymond Ave. at 8:00 p.m. and Freedom Writers (2007) at One Colorado, 41 Hugus Alley at 8:30 p.m. FREE
37. Since its the first Friday of the month check out all the cool events happening around town including block parties and art walks for First Fridays.
38. The Griffith Observatory hosts a monthly forum where some of the most amazing phenomena in the known universe are explained and discussed. It’s called All Space Considered and it takes place on the first Friday of every month. FREE
39. Sip wine perched on a iconic L.A. hill that’s also home to an architectural gem at The Barnsdall Art Park’s annual Wine Tasting Nights. Now in its ninth year, the series feature tastings of boutique artisanal wines, along with food trucks, amazing food pop-ups and this Friday includes music from KCRW DJ Marion Hodges.
Want to get our to-do lists straight to your inbox every week? Sign up for our email program.
Have an upcoming event you’d like suggest for listing? Drop us a line at email@example.com.