You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, January 16, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [10 a.m.] 260LA will host an Outdoor Voices sample sale at their Beverly Hills location January 14-19. Shop women’s athleisure, athletic apparel, and accessories at prices below retail.
2. [11 a.m.] USC Pacific Asia Museum located in Pasadena is recognized as Southern California’s only museum devoted exclusively to art from Asia and the Pacific. For their first 2020 exhibition the museum presents Oscar Oiwa: Dreams of a Sleeping World. On view from January 10 – April 26, 2020 guests walk into a dome that transports them inside a 360° dreamscape fantasy world. The site-specific piece was drawn with 120 Sharpie permanent markers and reveals hints of existential threats to the environment. Oiwa’s surreal paintings and a video documenting the creation of the mural dome greets guests before they embark into the dome.
3. [11:30 a.m.] The Bai Holiday Ice Rink returns to Pershing Square from Nov. 14, 2019 to Jan. 20, 2020 featuring a 7200 square foot outdoor ice-skating experience. A wide variety of events will take place throughout the duration of the rink.
4. [12:30 p.m.] There’s a free mindful awareness meditation going on at the Hammer. Participants are welcome to stay for the entire 30-minute session or leave when they choose. FREE
5. [5:30 p.m.] Therapeutic Thursdays at LA Historic Park is a wellness group that provides a safe space and a support system. Lead by Liza, a Promotorx member, and representatives of the L.A. County Department of Mental Health facilitate will discuss reducing stress strategies this week. FREE
6. [7 p.m.] Silver Lake Shorts returns for 2020 at El Cid with an anything goes shorts showcase of filmmakers from a wide range of mediums. FREE
7. [7 p.m.] Ahmed Best, co-creator and host of the Afrofuturist podcast, comes to the California African American Museum to lead a panel discussion on ideas, stories, and products that are shaping the future. Presented in conjunction with the exhibition Timothy Washington: Citizen/Ship. FREE
8. [7 p.m.] Femmes The Rules is a stand up comedy show at Lyric Hyperion where male comedians are paired with female (or non-binary) comedians that are allowed to interrupt him with commentary during his set but it doesn’t work vice versa, the male comedian has to just sit and watch quietly during their partners set.
9. [8 p.m.] All My Single Friends is described as part comedy show and part live dating app taking place at the Copper Still. If you’re over Tinder and Bumble check this show out where you’ll be in a room with some of LA’s best comedians and singles.
10. [various Free museum day at Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (all day) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $21 tix to Chamber Music and Wine Tasting at Walt Disney Concert Hall (via Goldstar)