You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, January 2, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11:30 a.m.] The Bai Holiday Ice Rink returns to Pershing Square from Nov. 14, 2019 to Jan. 20, 2020 featuring a 7200 square foot outdoor ice-skating experience. A wide variety of events will take place throughout the duration of the rink. Open on Christmas too!
2. [noon] The Paley Center for Media celebrates the holidays with family-friendly experience PaleyLand. Guests can enjoy daily screenings of classic holiday TV programs, a Candy Cane Forest , arts and crafts, dreidel games, and free hot cocoa. No reservations are required. Open Wednesdays through Sundays till January 5, 2020. FREE
3. [5:30 p.m.] . The Los Angeles Arboretum and Botanic Garden presents Moonlight Forest, where crafted lanterns line the garden grounds, some depicting animals, shimmering exotic flowers, and figures from Chinese legends. Happening Wednesdays through Sunday from November 9 through January 12, 2020. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 17 through January 5, 2020.
5. [6:30 p.m.] Start the year by the volunteering a night with The Burrito Project as the DTLA chapter distributes homemade burritos to people experiencing hunger and homelessness on Skid Row. FREE
6. [6:30 p.m.] Motherland brings free stand-up comedy to Kusina Filipina in Eagle Rock on Thursday nights. Read our review here. FREE
7. [8 p.m.] Check out a free comedy show at the Giant Robot Art Gallery on Sawtelle Blvd. FREE
8. [9 p.m.] Every first and third Thursday of the month Brennan’s in Marina Del Rey hosts their famous turtle races. Since 1974, this tradition brings these little speedsters out of their sanctuary (located in the bar) for an exciting game that support charities. Race starts at 9 p.m.
9. [various] Discover the best in foreign-language cinema during the Golden Globe Nominees Series, a week of special screenings from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4 at the Egyptian and Aero Theatres.
10. [various] The El Capitan Theatre is the prime spot to see Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker, audiences will be treated to exclusive experiences that include the Evolution of the Stormtrooper™ costume exhibit plus costumes from the new movie. Before each movie, ticketed guests can also snap a photo with First Order Stormtrooper™ at a meet-and-greet and enjoy an all-new laser and light show. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar) Open on Christmas too!