You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Monday, January 20, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [8 a.m.] The Rancho Santa Ana Coast Botanic Garden offers free admission to celebrate the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. FREE
2. [9:30 a.m.] The 9 Bridges of DTLA is a group urban walking event led by Bob Inman, author of “Finding Los Angeles by Foot” and revisionist-editor of “An Architectural Guidebook to Los Angeles.” The full schedule of walks is 12 miles, but participants are invited to join along for shorter segments as well. FREE
3. [10 a.m.] The 35th annual Kingdom Day Parade kicks off at 10 a.m. today, celebrating the cultural impact and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. The parade route heads west on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, turning south on Crenshaw and finishing at Leimert Park Plaza. The post-parade freedom festival at Leimert Park runs until 5 p.m. This year’s parade theme is “Equality For All Humanity, Our Next Step.” FREE
4. [10 a.m.] Celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. through a day of art, culture, and community at the California African American Museum. Activities will include special art workshops as well as recitations of King’s speeches. FREE
5. [10 a.m.] The South Central Dream: MLK DAY Vision Board Party at South LA Cafe. FREE
6. [4 p.m.] California SOL is an MLK Day soiree and rooftop pool party featuring DJ sets from Motown on Mondays LA and Subsuelo.
7. [7 p.m.] Hot Tub With Kurt And Kristen at The Virgil is a variety show featuring some of the best comedians, music artists and the occasional oddity aimed to entertain.
8. [7:30 p.m.] Astronomy on Tap hosted by Caltech Astronomy happens once a month at Der Wolf in Pasadena. Professionals will give informal talks about a variety of topics while enjoying German beers with the public.
9. [8 p.m.] Angel City Brewery presents game show podcast Go Fact Yourself where celebrity contestants do their best to answer arcane questions and a guest expert will provide the true facts. This month comedian Oscar Nunez (The Office) and Molly Knight (journalist for The Atlantic) will stop by. FREE
10. [various] dineL.A. returns Jan. 17-31 for two weeks of exclusive lunch and dinner menus at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Samskara Immersive Art Experience at Wisdome LA*(via Goldstar)