You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, January 23, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] Oscar Oiwa: Dreams of a Sleeping World continues on view at the USC Pacific Asia in Pasadena through April 26.
2. [6:30 p.m.] The Homeward Bound Concert is a benefit for the homeless community with performances by Jason Mraz, Robby Krieger & John Densmore of The Doors, Fitz and the Tantrums, Ingrid Michaelson and more. Happening at The Wiltern.
3. [7 p.m.] Drunk Yoga comes to the rooftop of the Hotel Erwin in Venice Beach for four days of namaste shenanigans. Each session includes a pre-class happy hour, 45 minute yoga and a post flow “wine down”. Classes are beginner-friendly. Bring your own mat.
4. [7 p.m.] Heidi Duckler Dance is a site-specific company in Los Angeles creating memorable performances in unexpected places in the city and around the world. To unveil their 2020 season and celebrate the 35th anniversary of the company they’ll throw a free kick off party and performance at The Bendix Building in DTLA this Thursday. FREE
5. [7:30 p.m.] The Skirball hosts an evening screening of Stanley Kubrick’s 1956 film noir classic, The Killing. A panel discussion after the movie with The Killing’s producer James B. Harris, as well as actor Malcolm McDowell (star of A Clockwork Orange) on the relationship between Kubrick’s photography and his filmmaking style. The panel will be moderated by Turner Classic Movies host Alicia Malone.
6. [8 p.m.] The Show With Two Heads: Dana Gould & Bobcat Goldthwait at The Virgil. $5 online, or $8 at the door.
7. [8 p.m.] Thursday is Retro Tiki Night at speakeasy Brandon’s on La Brea featuring Real McCoy Rum tastings, tiki cocktails, complimentary bar bites and music.
8. [various] Universal Studios Hollywood Celebrates Lunar New Year from January 23 to February 9 with cultural performances, special food offerings, Mr. Ping’s Noodle Shop from Kung Fu Panda, a Mandarin-speaking MEGATRON, Hello Kitty and Minions adorned in Lunar New Year Attire and much more
9. [various] Free museum day at Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.), USC Pacific Asian Museum (5 to 8 p.m.), Japanese American National Museum (all day), Museum of Latin American Art (5 to 9 p.m.) and Long Beach Museum of Art (3 to 8 p.m.)
10. [various] dineL.A. returns Jan. 17-31 for two weeks of exclusive lunch and dinner menus at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Samskara Immersive Art Experience at Wisdome LA*(via Goldstar)