You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Wednesday, January 29, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [11 a.m.] USC Pacific Asia Museum located in Pasadena is recognized as Southern California’s only museum devoted exclusively to art from Asia and the Pacific. For their first 2020 exhibition the museum presents Oscar Oiwa: Dreams of a Sleeping World. On view from January 10 – April 26, 2020 guests walk into a dome that transports them inside a 360° dreamscape fantasy world. The site-specific piece was drawn with 120 Sharpie permanent markers and reveals hints of existential threats to the environment. Oiwa’s surreal paintings and a video documenting the creation of the mural dome greets guests before they embark into the dome.
2. [2 p.m.] The Indie Beauty Expo comes to the Magic Box at The Reef in Downtown L.A. on January 29-30 for an expo of all of the newest, freshest and most innovative beauty brands in beauty.
3. [4 p.m.] Burrito Project L.A. is hosting a meet-up and burrito prep in Koreatown. After the burritos are prepared the group will distribute 75 meals to the unhoused community. FREE
4. [7:30 p.m.] Angel City Brewery presents Comedy Flight with host Chris Wallace serving up a flight of comedians staring at 7:30 p.m. FREE
5. [8 p.m.] Zebulan Cafe is hosting a free screening / party for the 1988 film Decline of Western Civilization Pt.II: The Metal Years, which chronicles the Los Angeles heavy metal scene during the 1980’s. FREE
6. [8:30 p.m.] Head to the Ace Hotel Upstairs Bars for a night of moody downtempo tunes produced by the dance music duo Newbody. FREE
7. [various] Universal Studios Hollywood Celebrates Lunar New Year from January 23 to February 9 with cultural performances, special food offerings, Mr. Ping’s Noodle Shop from Kung Fu Panda, a Mandarin-speaking MEGATRON, Hello Kitty and Minions adorned in Lunar New Year Attire and much more.
8. [various] Take advantage of specially priced lunch and dinner menus at one of SGV’s best dining destinations during Dine Alhambra Restaurant happening January 24-31.
9. [various] 9th Annual Pasadena Cheeseburger Week returns with over 40 restaurants and bars offering special cheeseburger items from January 26-31.
10. [various] dineL.A. returns Jan. 17-31 for two weeks of exclusive lunch and dinner menus at a laundry list of the city’s finest eateries.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Samskara Immersive Art Experience at Wisdome LA (via Goldstar)