You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Thursday, January 30, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [9 a.m.] The Indie Beauty Expo comes to the Magic Box at The Reef in Downtown L.A. on January 29-30 for an expo of all of the newest, freshest and most innovative beauty brands in beauty.
2. [11 a.m.] USC Pacific Asia Museum located in Pasadena is recognized as Southern California’s only museum devoted exclusively to art from Asia and the Pacific. For their first 2020 exhibition the museum presents Oscar Oiwa: Dreams of a Sleeping World. On view from January 10 – April 26, 2020 guests walk into a dome that transports them inside a 360° dreamscape fantasy world. The site-specific piece was drawn with 120 Sharpie permanent markers and reveals hints of existential threats to the environment. Oiwa’s surreal paintings and a video documenting the creation of the mural dome greets guests before they embark into the dome.
3. [6 p.m.] Tonight is opening night at Photo LA., a four-day celebration of photography and how it fits within the realm of fine art. The event runs through Feb. 2 at the Barker Hangar in Santa Monica. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
4. [6 p.m.] Constitution Happy Hour at AMMO at The Hammer continues this Friday with guided, topical conversations about the US Constitution and its role in our democracy.
5. [7 p.m.] The California African American Museum will hold a discussion about fashion activism. Hear about the current status of fashion activism from a Cross Colours representative along with SHAVONE., founder of Magic in Her Melanin; Candace Reels, founder of Female Collective; and moderator Cameron Shaw, CAAM’s Deputy Director and Chief Curator. FREE
6. [7:30 p.m.] The Eli and Edythe Broad Stage in Santa Monica presents the acclaimed National Geographic Live series Pursuit of the Black Panther with Shannon Wild, National Geographic photographer and cinematographer, on Thursday, January 30 and Friday, January 31. Audiences will be taken behind-the-scenes of the many challenges and dangers of documenting the rare and elusive black panther in southern India.
7. [8 p.m.] Science! The Show happening at Westside Comedy Theater combines science and stand up together for one night of nerd-tastic laughs. Tracy Drain, an Engineer at NASA’s JPL will talk about her experience working on the JUNO mission to Jupiter and sharing the stage with her will be comedian Ify Nwadiwe.
8. [various] Take advantage of specially priced lunch and dinner menus at one of SGV’s best dining destinations during Dine Alhambra Restaurant happening January 24-31.
9. [various] 9th Annual Pasadena Cheeseburger Week returns with over 40 restaurants and bars offering special cheeseburger items from January 26-31.
10. [various] Free museum day: Japanese American National Museum (from 5 to 8 p.m.) and Skirball Cultural Center (noon to 5 p.m.)
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: $15 tix to Samskara Immersive Art Experience at Wisdome LA (via Goldstar)