You know what’s handy? Waking up in the morning, firing up your phone/computer and being able to scan a super quick (but curated) rundown of the best of what lies ahead. So here it is, our list of fun things to do in Los Angeles for today, Friday, January 3, 2020.
May it lead you to adventure!
[IMPORTANT: Want our latest ‘things to do’ rundowns sent straight to your email inbox? Sign-up for our newsletter program]
Keep in mind for some of the ticketing options we utilize affiliate links and receive a commission if you purchase through our links (affiliates noted in parenthesis).
1. [noon] The Paley Center for Media celebrates the holidays with family-friendly experience PaleyLand. Guests can enjoy daily screenings of classic holiday TV programs, a Candy Cane Forest , arts and crafts, dreidel games, and free hot cocoa. No reservations are required. Open Wednesdays through Sundays till January 5, 2020. FREE
2. [5 p.m.] It’s First Fridays at The Village in Redondo Beach. Merchants and art galleries stay open till 8 p.m. and guests can catch live music next to the Aloha Bungalow.
3. [5 p.m.] Check out the Norton Simon Museum’s collection of art and a fantastic outdoor garden for free on the first Friday of every month (5-8 p.m.) FREE
4. [5:30 p.m.] The Los Angeles Arboretum and Botanic Garden presents Moonlight Forest, where crafted lanterns line the garden grounds, some depicting animals, shimmering exotic flowers, and figures from Chinese legends. Happening Wednesdays through Sunday from November 9 through January 12, 2020. Check for discounted tickets before making your purchase. DISCOUNTED (via Goldstar)
5. [5:30 p.m.] Descanso Gardens’ Enchanted Forest of Light returns for another installment with a host of interactive displays and nighttime activities from November 17 through January 5, 2020.
6. [6:30 p.m.] Bixby Knolls is hosting a jazz night as part of their first Fridays event in January. Catch live music at more than a dozen spots along Atlantic Ave. beginning at 6:30 p.m. FREE
7. [8 p.m.] The Smell turns 22 this year and they’re throwing a party this Friday to celebrate being an all-ages, alcohol and drug-free, punk rock/noise/experimental venue in Downtown Los Angeles. Performers for the night include Together Pangea, Bob Baker Marionettes, and Whaja Dew.
8. [9 p.m.] Gay Asstrology, an LGBTQIA+ Dance Party happening on the first Friday of every month invites queer energy, community, and a love of astrology to The Satellite in Silver Lake. It’s Capricorn season so everyone under that sign gets free admission to the party.
9. [9 p.m.] Head to the Mayfair Hotel for Drip, a monthly DJ program featuring Cut Chemist (Jurassic 5) and rotating guests. This month features guest INKA ONE. Free with RSVP. FREE
10. [various] Discover the best in foreign-language cinema during the Golden Globe Nominees Series, a week of special screenings from Dec. 29 to Jan. 4 at the Egyptian and Aero Theatres.
#SPONSORED DEAL OF THE DAY: Get $10 tix to headliner shows at The Comedy Store (via Goldstar)